Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume all societies create stories about themselves, to help with social cohesion. I think you make an interesting point that the more these stories have to be enforced by governments and courts and police to make people speak and act and eventually think a certain way that is against their instincts, the more mythical and disconnected from reality the stories actually are.
We're over-governed and over-regulated, so part of our story is mythical, but we're still not even close to the worst end of the thought crime spectrum. Not yet, anyway.
They do, but society also relies heavily upon its own past, it's history. While it's true that some of the history is viewed through rose-tinted lenses, the reality of outcomes cannot be denied. One of the issues with multiculturalism is that there is no shared history, which is exacerbated further when the disparity of cultures becomes more pronounced.

There is now a significant portion of Australia which has no interest in the past, or how we got here, other than in the negative aspects which provide a pathway to more legislation designed ostensibly to correct that past without much consideration for the present. The black armband thing.

Politically speaking, I would tend to think that the left-leaning governments will hold greater sway on the years to come as the population becomes more and more non-European and the emotive votes become more important. When issues such as immigration come to the fore in public discourse, the left-leaning parties have half of their job done for them before campaigning even begins.

:Why is this Hamas supporter even replying to me.
[/QUOTE]

I despise Hamas. I've stated this a number of times as they are a terrorist organisation. You are just making shit up to try help give yourself some credibility in here.

You support Netanyahu who is a leader of a far right wing government and has committed war crimes.

You sound like a ripper bloke.

I despise Hamas. I've stated this a number of times as they are a terrorist organisation. You are just making shit up to try help give yourself some credibility in here.

You support Netanyahu who is a leader of a far right wing government and has committed war crimes.

[/QUOTE]
You sound like a ripper bloke displaying the flag of the same people that voted in that terrorist organisation and would do the same tomorrow.

I’m saying if it’s that easy for Asylum seekers to land on our shores how hard do you reckon it would be for some one with better capabilities, the government signed the Aukus deal for a reason..

Yeah. A little boat as opposed to giant navy vessels that we can pick up through satellite navigation and all countries declare was prior to invasion.

China has a long journey to Australia. They would be our greatest and most real threat. How much do you actually know about the navy? My best mate is navy and his brother is army. You might want to educate yourself on this before posting.

AUKUS has many layers to it for Australia not just an invasion of Australia.

You sound like a ripper bloke displaying the flag of the same people that voted in that terrorist organisation and would do the same tomorrow.
[/QUOTE]

You may want to educate yourself on this before making these biased comments.

[/QUOTE]

Has another poll come out since the last one? that would be good news! The last one showed they would vote Hamas back into power if there was an election today and there was a poll that the majority supported what Hamas did on Oct 7th.

It would be great news to hear that has changed? Have you got links for that?

Has another poll come out since the last one? that would be good news! The last one showed they would vote Hamas back into power if there was an election today and there was a poll that the majority supported what Hamas did on Oct 7th.

[/QUOTE]
It’s also disgraceful that he would display a flag of a nation that has domestic violence record considering the domestic violence issue we have in Australia.

It’s also disgraceful that he would display a flag of a nation that has domestic violence record considering the domestic violence issue we have in Australia.
[/QUOTE]

You may need to tidy your house before making those comments

I worry that there is a low level of passion for Australia and being Australian, due in no small part to the indoctrination of the black-armband view of our history, and that in the event of having to defend ourselves there could be a general reluctance by younger people to do so.
As has been pointed out, and was the thrust of Feeder's original post, there is a difference between military service when under direct threat (something Australia has very little experience of), and military service as a career option or a gateway.
The current Australian military is indeed an avenue to a much cheaper higher education level than would be ordinarily available and that is an important factor in assessing current recruitment rates.

In the modern context of military service as a career choice, those not of a Christian or religiously unaffiliated background are severely underrepresented.
The Aboriginals have always served, even as far back as the Boer war, and that in spite of being treated rather poorly upon their return to Australia. So have migrants from other European countries - historically speaking, even when in direct conflict from their places of origin.

I think that as well as the black armband view of history as you've mentioned, there are other factors in play which might explain to some extent or another the low rate of non-Christian participation in Australia's armed services - that being religious and cultural background. Islam and Hinduism are the fastest growing religion in Australia (behind Hinduism), which is a direct reflection of the changing migration and population demographics.

For example, given the current global and political climate, Australians considering military service can expect to see active service more often than not in Muslim-majority countries. That might present considerable difficulties for a Muslim person considering the military as a career, particularly in the context of overseas wars which have no direct relevance to Australia other than as policing interventions.

If we were ever invaded? It's hard to come to any firm conclusions. Too many factors to consider in this post, chief among those being the source of the invasion.

This is from 2013. The situation even a decade ago was considerably different to that of today, and is again a reflection of Australia's rapidly changing demographic.

[/QUOTE]

King Huskii you said to get educated instead of saying they would vote Hamas in again. I thought that meant you had some evidence or a link to send so I asked and your reply is to laugh. If you do have something to back what you are saying or that I can use to learn, please do send it through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King Huskii you said to get educated instead of saying they would vote Hamas in again. I thought that meant you had some evidence or a link to send so I asked and your reply is to laugh. If you do have something to back what you are saying or that I can use to learn, please do send it through.
[/QUOTE]

I have zero need discussing this with you. It's been done to death and even when you were proven wrong on some points I and others made you refused to acknowledge it.

So argue away on the internet to yourself

[/QUOTE]
He’s got nothing the facts are the Palestinians would vote the terrorists back in tomorrow.

He’s got nothing the facts are the Palestinians would vote the terrorists back in tomorrow.
[/QUOTE]

This from a guy who thinks a foreign nation could invade Australia with their navy and go undetected.

Face palm moment

I have zero need discussing this with you. It's been done to death and even when you were proven wrong on some points I and others made you refused to acknowledge it.

So argue away on the internet to yourself
[/QUOTE]

So you don't have anything? If you do it would be easy to provide it. So last we heard they would vote Hamas back into power if there was an election.

This is not an argument. You came on strong about education prior to posting so I thought I would seek information from you. Still happy to see it if you have it.

This from a guy who thinks a foreign nation could invade Australia with their navy and go undetected.

Face palm moment
[/QUOTE]

I don't remember this being said. Can you quote where this was said. I just checked the last few pages and didn't see it, I may have missed it. If I did that is my bad... Otherwise can you quote it King Huskii ?

Face palm moment

I don't remember this being said. Can you quote where this was said. I just checked the last few pages and didn't see it, I may have missed it. If I did that is my bad... Otherwise can you quote it King Huskii ?
[/QUOTE]
He’s already being called out for his hypocrisy in other Freo threads he’s a goose.

Face palm moment

[/QUOTE]

Demons said it

He’s already being called out for his hypocrisy in other Freo threads he’s a goose.
[/QUOTE]

Too funny

You have zero understanding of defense force technology yet you think a nation is just gonna rock up on our doorstep undetected and take us over and you example asylum seekers.

Hilarious

As has been pointed out, and was the thrust of Feeder's original post, there is a difference between military service when under direct threat (something Australia has very little experience of), and military service as a career option or a gateway.
The current Australian military is indeed an avenue to a much cheaper higher education level than would be ordinarily available and that is an important factor in assessing current recruitment rates.

In the modern context of military service as a career choice, those not of a Christian or religiously unaffiliated background are severely underrepresented.
The Aboriginals have always served, even as far back as the Boer war, and that in spite of being treated rather poorly upon their return to Australia. So have migrants from other European countries - historically speaking, even when in direct conflict from their places of origin.

I think that as well as the black armband view of history as you've mentioned, there are other factors in play which might explain to some extent or another the low rate of non-Christian participation in Australia's armed services - that being religious and cultural background. Islam and Hinduism are the fastest growing religion in Australia (behind Hinduism), which is a direct reflection of the changing migration and population demographics.

For example, given the current global and political climate, Australians considering military service can expect to see active service more often than not in Muslim-majority countries. That might present considerable difficulties for a Muslim person considering the military as a career, particularly in the context of overseas wars which have no direct relevance to Australia other than as policing interventions.

If we were ever invaded? It's hard to come to any firm conclusions. Too many factors to consider in this post, chief among those being the source of the invasion.

This is from 2013. The situation even a decade ago was considerably different to that of today, and is again a reflection of Australia's rapidly changing demographic.
Thanks for that. Sorry, have not yet read that article. But modern warfare is very different to previous wars that Australia has been involved in, and we have NEVER had actual combat on our shores, so really, we can only go by war stories of our parents or grandparents, or video footage from events overseas. It’s a much different experience when it happens to you and we are totally unprepared.

As has been mentioned, our country is now much more diverse, thanks to multicultural policies, and we don’t even know if there could be a united will among the population to take action against an aggressor.

Btw, do you mean invader/s would be considered on their merits or acceptability as to whether they would be resisted or not?

Thanks for that. Sorry, have not yet read that article. But modern warfare is very different to previous wars that Australia has been involved in, and we have NEVER had actual combat on our shores, so really, we can only go by war stories of our parents or grandparents, or video footage from events overseas. It’s a much different experience when it happens to you and we are totally unprepared.

As has been mentioned, our country is now much more diverse, thanks to multicultural policies, and we don’t even know if there could be a united will among the population to take action against an aggressor.

Btw, do you mean invader/s would be considered on their merits or acceptability as to whether they would be resisted or not?

How is Australia totally unprepared for an invasion? Provide facts

How is Australia totally unprepared for an invasion? Provide facts
Well, do you think we are prepared? Numbers serving in the armed forces are declining. Recruitment is slow. Defence spending has been and is inadequate. Our equipment is probably not as up to date as we would need. Government spending has other priorities.

It’s probably drawing a long bow to expect to be invaded but most people that I know are preoccupied with day-to-day living and are not interested in current affairs.

Well, do you think we are prepared? Numbers serving in the armed forces are declining. Recruitment is slow. Defence spending has been and is inadequate. Our equipment is probably not as up to date as we would need. Government spending has other priorities.

It’s probably drawing a long bow to expect to be invaded but most people that I know are preoccupied with day-to-day living and are not interested in current affairs.

Our equipment isn't outdated, just minimal compared with other relevant nations. Our numbers are declining that's for sure. Government incentives aren't working as effective as they would like.

Australia has strategically aligned themselves with a large group of countries to form important pacts. If on the very unlikely chance a rogue nation declares war on Australia they will need to travel accross a vast ocean and hope their few carriers make it over without being blown up by the US air force and navy. The attackers air force needs to fill up and can't just fly back home. Feeling up would be a massive issue and a navy so far from home would be problematic.

It would require planning and most likely the take over of islands around Australia over time to be able to realisticly attempt it. China has more pressing concerns and so does Russia.

Our centre for intelligence combined with the US would see them planning this for years. Just like the US has been watching China plan an invasion on Taiwan. A major part of the reason why China keeps stalling as they know it's game on when they do.

If you know of another country close enough to Australia with the military capability of a ground offensive towards Australia I'd be surprised.

I'm also not saying China wouldn't want Australia as their own but it's too big a gamble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back