Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our equipment isn't outdated, just minimal compared with other relevant nations. Our numbers are declining that's for sure. Government incentives aren't working as effective as they would like.

Australia has strategically aligned themselves with a large group of countries to form important pacts. If on the very unlikely chance a rogue nation declares war on Australia they will need to travel accross a vast ocean and hope their few carriers make it over without being blown up by the US air force and navy. The attackers air force needs to fill up and can't just fly back home. Feeling up would be a massive issue and a navy so far from home would be problematic.

It would require planning and most likely the take over of islands around Australia over time to be able to realisticly attempt it. China has more pressing concerns and so does Russia.

Our centre for intelligence combined with the US would see them planning this for years. Just like the US has been watching China plan an invasion on Taiwan. A major part of the reason why China keeps stalling as they know it's game on when they do.

If you know of another country close enough to Australia with the military capability of a ground offensive towards Australia I'd be surprised.

I'm also not saying China wouldn't want Australia as their own but it's too big a gamble.

This is a thoughtful post. I agree with some of this and have some questions on other parts.

I think the equation could look a lot different if the US is tied up with Russia.
If/when China move on Taiwan it will be interesting to see the US response. I have heard good arguments to protect them and some to stay out of it. I am not sure what the Democrat position is on Taiwan and if they would respond.

A lot of could be and maybe's that is for sure. It is an interesting discussion though.

This is a thoughtful post. I agree with some of this and have some questions on other parts.

I think the equation could look a lot different if the US is tied up with Russia.
If/when China move on Taiwan it will be interesting to see the US response. I have heard good arguments to protect them and some to stay out of it. I am not sure what the Democrat position is on Taiwan and if they would respond.

A lot of could be and maybe's that is for sure. It is an interesting discussion though.

The democrats have aligned themselves with protecting Taiwan. It might be different if Trump is back in power.

The US and NATO are obviously invested in the war in Ukraine. A war with China if the USA does defend Taiwan would be an absolute blood bath. In fact a hot war with China over Taiwan imo would be far worse for the world than what is happening in Ukraine.

This may not end well for Australia too as China has warned us to stay out of it.

I'm just glad Australia is so far away from most conflicts. I have no idea what the solution would be and hope the US and other nations deal in diplomacy instead of going head to head with China.

What are your thoughts

He’s already being called out for his hypocrisy in other Freo threads he’s a goose.

Too funny

You have zero understanding of defense force technology yet you think a nation is just gonna rock up on our doorstep undetected and take us over and you example asylum seekers.

Hilarious
[/QUOTE]
We’ve just built ten 56 meter patrol boats for the Australian navy and there’s another 10 to be built over the next 5 years do you know what they patrol? our borders Einstein i guess the government awarded and spent tax payers money for the vibe lol.

Too funny

You have zero understanding of defense force technology yet you think a nation is just gonna rock up on our doorstep undetected and take us over and you example asylum seekers.

Hilarious
We’ve just built ten 56 meter patrol boats for the Australian navy and there’s another 10 to be built over the next 5 years do you know what they patrol? our borders Einstein i guess the government awarded and spent tax payers money for the vibe lol.
[/QUOTE]

Whats your point?

Whats your point?
[/QUOTE]
They spent half a billion dollars to patrol Australian waters for Asylum seekers lol. Also a multi million dollar contract to build frigates i wonder why they would want to strengthen the navy.

Whats your point?
They spent half a billion dollars to patrol Australian waters for Asylum seekers lol. Also a multi million dollar contract to build frigates i wonder why they would want to strengthen the navy.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, upgrading goes on all the time. Asylum seekers and an entire navy are two completely different operations.

The democrats have aligned themselves with protecting Taiwan. It might be different if Trump is back in power.

The US and NATO are obviously invested in the war in Ukraine. A war with China if the USA does defend Taiwan would be an absolute blood bath. In fact a hot war with China over Taiwan imo would be far worse for the world than what is happening in Ukraine.

This may not end well for Australia too as China has warned us to stay out of it.

I'm just glad Australia is so far away from most conflicts. I have no idea what the solution would be and hope the US and other nations deal in diplomacy instead of going head to head with China.

What are your thoughts

I wonder if Taiwan stops being so central to chip making and AI if that will affect the US stepping in?

We are and have been blessed by our isolation. I am not sure if we will stay out of it if the US and other allies declare war. Location wise it will be very difficult for the US to protect us, especially if the war is fought increasingly with drones.

It isn't a pleasant time that is for sure. I am hoping whether it is Trump or Biden they manage to settle everything down asap!

I wonder if Taiwan stops being so central to chip making and AI if that will affect the US stepping in?

We are and have been blessed by our isolation. I am not sure if we will stay out of it if the US and other allies declare war. Location wise it will be very difficult for the US to protect us, especially if the war is fought increasingly with drones.

It isn't a pleasant time that is for sure. I am hoping whether it is Trump or Biden they manage to settle everything down asap!
As someone who lives in Taiwan the respective US presidential candidates/party’s stance on it is about the only thing out of the election that may directly affect me. It’s definitely a concern.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never seen Episode IV show any hatred towards Muslims.

Is the ABC the problem for writing the article? I am trying to figure out what the issue is on this one? Genuinely trying to understand what the issue is that would make you take the personal attack route.

No issue at all. Just read between the lines of all his posts towards Palestine

Is the ABC the problem for writing the article? I am trying to figure out what the issue is on this one? Genuinely trying to understand what the issue is that would make you take the personal attack route.
Huskii is just looking for a reason to start a fight, as usual. When considering the left-wing hate brigade, it seems a waste of time to make them understand they are in many cases the very thing they hate the most. As someone once said to me, one of the most difficult things to combat is where ignorance and arrogance exist in the same mind, particularly when it is peer-endorsed.

I posted that article because it demonstrates something I was talking about earlier. It's about the political climate in Australia, and has little to do with Palestine.
Without posting any particularly quotes from that article which I found particularly concerning, of which there are a few, I think it's a sign of things to come. It's a representation of some remarks I made earlier with regard to the questions of what "being Australian" actually is, or is becoming.
This group is asking individual Australians to vote in a bloc in support of representation not as Australians, but as Muslims and Arabs.

It's an indictment, to some extent, on the viability of democracy itself in an increasingly multicultural society.

Huskii is just looking for a reason to start a fight, as usual. When considering the left-wing hate brigade, it seems a waste of time to make them understand they are in many cases the very thing they hate the most. As someone once said to me, one of the most difficult things to combat is where ignorance and arrogance exist in the same mind, particularly when it is peer-endorsed.

I posted that article because it demonstrates something I was talking about earlier. It's about the political climate in Australia, and has little to do with Palestine.
Without posting any particularly quotes from that article which I found particularly concerning, of which there are a few, I think it's a sign of things to come. It's a representation of some remarks I made earlier with regard to the questions of what "being Australian" actually is, or is becoming.
This group is asking individual Australians to vote in a bloc in support of representation not as Australians, but as Muslims and Arabs.

It's an indictment, to some extent, on the viability of democracy itself in an increasingly multicultural society.

No reason at all just stating a fact

This a distinction that you have drawn yourself. Not the article. Nor the group campaigning in Labor seats.

In fact, this post leaves me with a fundamental question, one that I'm shocked to even ask - do you realise that you need to be an Australian citizen to vote?

If the chamber of commerce was advocating for small business owners to vote a certain way, would you accuse the chamber of commerce of encouring people to vote 'not as Australians' but as small business owners?

Where lobby groups for the catholic church encourage catholics to vote in a certain way, would you accuse them of encouraging people to vote 'not as Australians' but as catholics?

The fact is they are seeking votes from people who are Australian and those people may happen to be of muslim faith or an arabic background or any other faith/background for that matter.

Participating in an election is one of the most Australian things you can do (bar drawing a dick on your ballot paper). And how people choose to vote, is entirely up to them.

I disagree. It's democracy in action. People are passionate about an issue and they're giving AUSTRALIAN people the opportunity to vote on it.

No issue at all. Just read between the lines of all his posts towards Palestine

By definition what you are saying here is in contradiction with what you have posted below.

No reason at all just stating a fact

If you are reading between the lines it cannot then be claimed as fact.

Anyway - I do think the conversation can progress without nasty personal attacks. It is better for everyone.

Is this comment being serious?
'I have never seen Episode IV show any hatred towards Muslims. "
KH's comment was not a personal attack but a comment made about a poster who has a pattern of negatively stereotyping muslims that's clear as day. In many ways you've made comments about Christians being stereotyped negatively and thats the same thing. If you agree with the views expressed by the poster KH responded too well that's not very Christian of you.
By the way Im repulsed by the Greens vote yesterday about war memorial being vandiilised. Its possible to have views critical of extreme views on both sides of this debate.

Last edited:
By definition what you are saying here is in contradiction with what you have posted below.

If you are reading between the lines it cannot then be claimed as fact.

Anyway - I do think the conversation can progress without nasty personal attacks. It is better for everyone.

It's not a personal attack. We all can read between the lines

Yeah its not a personal attack but a comment made about a posters comments which have a pattern of negatively stereotyping muslims that's clear as day. In many ways you've made comments about Christians being stereotyped negatively and thats the same thing If you agree with the views expressed by the poster KH responded too well that's not very Christian of you.

Bingo!

Yeah its not a personal attack but a comment made about a posters comments which have a pattern of negatively stereotyping muslims that's clear as day. In many ways you've made comments about Christians being stereotyped negatively and thats the same thing If you agree with the views expressed by the poster KH responded too well that's not very Christian of you.

I am trying to understand your meaning, lack of full stops has me trying...

He said 'why do you hate muslims?'

That is a personal attack.

If you can show me the clear negative stereotype I will agree - if it is 'reading between the lines' that is not clear.

Have I said on here I am a Christian? Should I assume you are a Muslim if you defend them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back