Opinion POLL - Do we need a new captain?

Do we need a new captain?

• No - keep Cotchin

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Yes - I want Rance

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Yes - I want Deledio

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Yes - I want Riewoldt

Votes: 36 39.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is along the same lines as do we need a new coach. Since the club is doing a review it's time to also review the captaincy. Hawthorn did it when they replaced Mitchell with Hodge which has been a huge success.

Personally, I have been very disappointed in Cotchin's captaincy. Since he was made captain he's gone from being a classy Rolls Royce to a busted up Kia type of player.

Cotchin was a star in 2012 but now he plays like a plodder with the weight of the world on his shoulders. He also doesn't seem to be inspirational or hard enough to be a captain. So is it time for a new captain?

• So should we replace Cotchin as captain with either Rance, Deledio or Riewoldt?

My pick is Rance.

Poll open
No offence taken as i own a 10 year old Kia.

As i understand the leadership group is elected by the players and then the C comes from that. For Jack as an example to not be in the leadership group tells me more about what the players think if him than the fans. Two weeks ago late in the last qtr jack gave Lloyd (i think it was) a spray for going for goal from the boundary. The ball ended up being thrown in at which time Jack snapped a goal over his shoulder. Now to be fair he should have at least looked for an option but didn't and played on instinct. Perhaps this is the issue with the players and Jack?

Cotch i reckon needs a mental break and allowed to just play footy. FWIW I voted jack but would be just as happy to see Rance or even Lids a year at it.

captaincy should go to the player with the least distraction

Brett+Deledio+Arrivals+Brownlow+Medal+Ceremony+0HCTTQyr4Afl.jpg

304722-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

OFA230913DT-1646-e1386565869114-760x438.jpg

133632-jack-riewoldt-and-mum-for-mother-039-s-day.jpg

I would like to be captain. Vote for me.
You have good skills and can play off the half back flank. My vote is for this guy.

I think the whole leadership group is somewhat hamstrung by the group that they are surrounded by . The game naturally comes to our stars and a couple of them can do or say stupid things . Dustin and Reiwoldt.
Whilst the group as a whole is a bunch of soft ***** , with way to many precious , sleep with the light on types. As such the leadership group has to pussy foot around with them rather than the tear the shreads off type many may like.
the leadership group IMO has done a great job on keeping a few focused and others from spitting the dummy. I'd suggest RFC is the most fragile playing group in the whole AFL.
Whilst I believe Cotchins form has more to do with the lack of support around him on field.

No offence taken as i own a 10 year old Kia.

As i understand the leadership group is elected by the players and then the C comes from that. For Jack as an example to not be in the leadership group tells me more about what the players think if him than the fans. Two weeks ago late in the last qtr jack gave Lloyd (i think it was) a spray for going for goal from the boundary. The ball ended up being thrown in at which time Jack snapped a goal over his shoulder. Now to be fair he should have at least looked for an option but didn't and played on instinct. Perhaps this is the issue with the players and Jack?

Cotch i reckon needs a mental break and allowed to just play footy. FWIW I voted jack but would be just as happy to see Rance or even Lids a year at it.

Agree with you on both the bolded sections.
Cotch is obviously well-regarded by the players and I believe he is a man of integrity.
As such, if he thought he couldn't handle the captaincy, he would say so.

Having said that, he might not realise how much good it would do him to be allowed to just play his own game as part of the leadership group and may need to be told": "No hard feelings, Trent, but we're asking you to rule yourself out of the captaincy for your own good. You'll still be an on-field general. Maybe even co-captain."

Jack's maturity is improving but not sufficiently to be captain yet. Would really like him to stop spraying his teammates as if he's the only one doing any work.
Rance would make a great captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with you on both the bolded sections.
Cotch is obviously well-regarded by the players and I believe he is a man of integrity.
As such, if he thought he couldn't handle the captaincy, he would say so.

Having said that, he might not realise how much good it would do him to be allowed to just play his own game as part of the leadership group and may need to be told": "No hard feelings, Trent, but we're asking you to rule yourself out of the captaincy for your own good. You'll still be an on-field general. Maybe even co-captain."

Jack's maturity is improving but not sufficiently to be captain yet. Would really like him to stop spraying his teammates as if he's the only one doing any work.
Rance would make a great captain.

Absolutely agree with you. Rance is the only true leader at our club and should be captain.

Not voting on the Captaincy thingo but gee I cringe when Cotch is trying to be a little cool and funny....
Those Fun Facts (on a particular milestone player) on the RFC website - Cotch's responses are always very very lame...

Dude may be a respected player, leader and captian around the club but he is straighter than the Nullarbor and more vanilla than zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................

Rance like Jack isn't in the leadership group because they are complete clowns off the field- but they do not need titles on field to lead

the Captaincy is not too much for Cotchin and does not impact his form- early days he tried to do things outside his natural game and he suffered but not any more- class act and class player but no longer as damaging surrounded by a poor stoppage contested side and a dysfunctional forward line I think..

I think the whole leadership group is somewhat hamstrung by the group that they are surrounded by . The game naturally comes to our stars and a couple of them can do or say stupid things . Dustin and Reiwoldt.
Whilst the group as a whole is a bunch of soft ***** , with way to many precious , sleep with the light on types. As such the leadership group has to pussy foot around with them rather than the tear the shreads off type many may like.
the leadership group IMO has done a great job on keeping a few focused and others from spitting the dummy. I'd suggest RFC is the most fragile playing group in the whole AFL.
Whilst I believe Cotchins form has more to do with the lack of support around him on field.
Having these so called leadership groups is a crock. There should be a leader who is your coach and his deputy the captain. The players have to much of a say. Just go out there and play football. Thats what you get paid for.

Having these so called leadership groups is a crock. There should be a leader who is your coach and his deputy the captain. The players have to much of a say. Just go out there and play football. Thats what you get paid for.
Morris and chaplain in our leadership group. What a joke.

This is along the same lines as do we need a new coach. Since the club is doing a review it's time to also review the captaincy. Hawthorn did it when they replaced Mitchell with Hodge which has been a huge success.

Personally, I have been very disappointed in Cotchin's captaincy. Since he was made captain he's gone from being a classy Rolls Royce to a busted up Kia type of player.

Cotchin was a star in 2012 but now he plays like a plodder with the weight of the world on his shoulders. He also doesn't seem to be inspirational or hard enough to be a captain. So is it time for a new captain?

• So should we replace Cotchin as captain with either Rance, Deledio or Riewoldt?

My pick is Rance.

Poll open

Next thread, do we need a new board?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion POLL - Do we need a new captain?

Back