Opinion Poll - Who do we select with Pick 10 in the 2014 AFL National Draft?

Who do we select with Pick 10 in the National Draft 2014?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only justification is they see Stanley as having a huge upside….this years selections will either be genius or disaster….i don't think there's middle ground.

My take (FWIW) is they think at least one of Menzel, Cowan, McCarthy, Vardy et al from the "injury squad" + Hartman, GH-S and /or Blease are going to stake their claims and step up and become top liners in 2015….

No doubt , its win or crash situation especially once we see a name next to 21. But one thing I think we may be underestimating is Stanleys readiness to play in multiple positions including down back. To some degree the apprenticeship has been done , and watching the higlights of him playing deep I was pleasantly suprised. He is no lone shut down player but his height and mobility , his althletism , we should have more coverage with opposition rucks in our defence. He is at least an option there , an option that we add to JK and Blitz. Where does Walker fit ... thats another discussion.

Stanley is a win or crash , but if we can get over who we lost and what we paid and just look at what he is and what he may become ...he is a good chance of being a win.

Menzel and Cowan is another two getting very close to win or crash. Tick , Tick time is just about up and they simply must come good and get on the turf. Can they become TL's? Not sure anymore but the club must think they can , or why persist.

Both Menzel and Cowan are up and at it, so far so good, but if there's any LTI's it's over for either of them, the club's been more than fair.
Signs are very encouraging as it stands.

Changed my mind. After watching the AFL Grill we should aim for Hugh Goddard, Patty McCartin, Viojo-Rainbow and Ed Vickers-Willis

All proud Cats supporters

I will be confused if we take Wright next Thursday. We’ve just gone and got Clark AND Stanley. Getting Stanley, after Clark, was confusing enough. We will have 5 key forward/ruckman-type players if so: Clark, Stanley, Vardy, Walker, and Wright. Far too many. I can already see one of Vardy, Walker or Kersten wanting to leave next year because there are too many similar players. We needed to get a Jonathon Giles type during the trade period, not more KF/ruck types. Surely GWS will pick up Wright before us. Patton ACL and Boyd at WB, I would’ve thought they’d desperately need him?

I have to admit, I don’t watch U18 games and know all the players’ details, but Nakia Cockatoo’s highlights from that one game he played showed great promise. He fits the bill in being able to replace the speed and creativity of Christensen and Varcoe. He seems solid and likely to able to play AFL in 2015. Do you rate Cockatoo highly enough for Pick 10? It really all depends on who GWS take at Pick 4. There seems to be a lot of likely types that may possibly be available at Pick 10 this year: Lever/Durdin/Goddard (do we take a solid key defender here or hope for one with a later pick?), Pickett, Ahern, De Goey, Duggan.

But if we’re to guess who Stephen Wells is going to take at Pick 10, we should look at how he’s conducted himself over the past 1-10 years. Almost each year, we’re all baffled by who he takes with our first pick: 2013 Lang at Pick 16 (was predicted to go at least 10 picks later), 2012 Thurlow at Pick 16 (again predicted to go in the 2nd Round), 2009 Menzel at Pick 17 (was predicted to go in the 2nd Round), 2008 Brown at Pick 15 (surprise), 2007 Taylor at Pick 17 (surprise). This isn’t bagging Stephen Wells, it’s just to show that he often thinks left-field of what is predicted/expected. So I won’t be surprised again if he picks up someone who is touted to go around pick 15-25.

But if we’re to guess who Stephen Wells is going to take at Pick 10, we should look at how he’s conducted himself over the past 1-10 years. Almost each year, we’re all baffled by who he takes with our first pick: 2013 Lang at Pick 16 (was predicted to go at least 10 picks later), 2012 Thurlow at Pick 16 (again predicted to go in the 2nd Round), 2009 Menzel at Pick 17 (was predicted to go in the 2nd Round), 2008 Brown at Pick 15 (surprise), 2007 Taylor at Pick 17 (surprise). This isn’t bagging Stephen Wells, it’s just to show that he often thinks left-field of what is predicted/expected. So I won’t be surprised again if he picks up someone who is touted to go around pick 15-25.

The difference this year being that we traded up 4 spots in the first round to #10 at the expense of our 2nd round pick. That's not something I can remember us doing in recent years, and is a very strange move if the player we take at 10 would have been available at 14 anyway.

I will be confused if we take Wright next Thursday. We’ve just gone and got Clark AND Stanley. Getting Stanley, after Clark, was confusing enough. We will have 5 key forward/ruckman-type players if so: Clark, Stanley, Vardy, Walker, and Wright. Far too many. I can already see one of Vardy, Walker or Kersten wanting to leave next year because there are too many similar players. We needed to get a Jonathon Giles type during the trade period, not more KF/ruck types. Surely GWS will pick up Wright before us. Patton ACL and Boyd at WB, I would’ve thought they’d desperately need him?

I have to admit, I don’t watch U18 games and know all the players’ details, but Nakia Cockatoo’s highlights from that one game he played showed great promise. He fits the bill in being able to replace the speed and creativity of Christensen and Varcoe. He seems solid and likely to able to play AFL in 2015. Do you rate Cockatoo highly enough for Pick 10? It really all depends on who GWS take at Pick 4. There seems to be a lot of likely types that may possibly be available at Pick 10 this year: Lever/Durdin/Goddard (do we take a solid key defender here or hope for one with a later pick?), Pickett, Ahern, De Goey, Duggan.

And this would be a good thing. CHF/No 2 Ruck is a crucial position for our game-plan/structure. Let 'em duke it out in 2014 Celebrity Death-Match! A ready made inside mid to replace Bundy would be great, but the reality is they will likely go before we see them at 10. You take the very best player available at 10 and if it means KPFs are competing like crazy for a spot then we will get a very clear picture of the future at that spot. Let's also not forget Stanley, Blicavs and Walker are elite athletes as well. They offer a greta deal of flexibility in their ability to run out 4 quarters. I suspect CS is up to something with his vision of our AFL structure over the next 3-4 years.

On Pickett and De Goey, that's what their results suggest, if they're not consistent at U18 level as a small why would you spend a first rounder, especially one we've upgraded for and therefore taken a hit with our next pick.
I'd go Ahern, Blakely or Cockatoo if I wanted mids, all big on form.

Let's not forget that De Goey has been thrown around into just about every position. He only played eight TAC Cup games this year and tbh his results were fairly consistent.

The difference this year being that we traded up 4 spots in the first round to #10 at the expense of our 2nd round pick. That's not something I can remember us doing in recent years, and is a very strange move if the player we take at 10 would have been available at 14 anyway.
Indeed. So what does this particular bit of information lead you guys to think? Presumably definitely a clear top ten pick or a bolter?

The Wright selection would be a no-brainer if we hadn't taken both Stanley and Clark in the trade period. If we are convinced that he can develop into a genuine first ruck (that can play forward a la Ottens) then I think we should take him. But if we purely see him as another forward/ruck then I'd let him pass. We just have too many other holes to fill.

Look I would have to say I disagree (although maybe we wouldnt have got Stanley if we knew Wright would fall). As TJ discussed in the podcast and I tend to agree with, the draft has good depth but lacks elite talent at the top end compared to the expansion drafts, and I agree. I reckon Wright is one of only a few players along with Petracca and Brayshaw and Heeney that I think could become genuinely A grade or elite, and so I think in this type of draft you want the best talent regardless of position. If it overbalances thinks you take midfielders with later picks and/or you trade out talls if you have too many, but as much as I rate say Goddard and Lever and the balance would look better with them, Wright is probably the best available player over them all and I think it would be wise not to overlook that.

The other point is people look a bit short term when they see we have lots of talls. I doubt Hamish or Simpson last past next year, and Rivers and Lonergan are old. And Vardy is not durable enough as a full time ruck.

So you could end up with Wright and Stanley as rucks with Blitz to cover if need be, Hawkins Clark Walker and Vardy as KPF's, and Blicavs probably needs to go back unless we trade in a KPD soon. I don't think it's really too many given most of our talls are fragile

Look I would have to say I disagree (although maybe we wouldnt have got Stanley if we knew Wright would fall). As TJ discussed in the podcast and I tend to agree with, the draft has good depth but lacks elite talent at the top end compared to the expansion drafts, and I agree. I reckon Wright is one of only a few players along with Petracca and Brayshaw and Heeney that I think could become genuinely A grade or elite, and so I think in this type of draft you want the best talent regardless of position. If it overbalances thinks you take midfielders with later picks and/or you trade out talls if you have too many, but as much as I rate say Goddard and Lever and the balance would look better with them, Wright is probably the best available player over them all and I think it would be wise not to overlook that.

The other point is people look a bit short term when they see we have lots of talls. I doubt Hamish or Simpson last past next year, and Rivers and Lonergan are old. And Vardy is not durable enough as a full time ruck.

So you could end up with Wright and Stanley as rucks with Blitz to cover if need be, Hawkins Clark Walker and Vardy as KPF's, and Blicavs probably needs to go back unless we trade in a KPD soon. I don't think it's really too many given most of our talls are fragile

yep , not much to add. Is the Podcast up have not heard it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/tests-get-wright-answers

Having been unavailable for the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine after suffering a knee injury, as well as missing other testing opportunities across the past two seasons, clubs considering Wright were desperate for additional information on the 203cm prospect.
The League ran the private screening at Maribyrnong College, which saw Wright complete the 20-metre sprint and agility tests, and the standing vertical jump and running jump tests.
Of three 20-metre sprints, Wright's best time was 3.1 seconds, while he completed one agility run at 8.65 seconds.
He recorded a 65cm standing vertical jump and an 81cm running vertical jump off his left foot. The results were then passed on to clubs, who did not attend the session.
He has had a number of interviews scheduled this week, including Greater Western Sydney (picks four, six and seven), Gold Coast (pick eight) and Geelong (pick 10), with all considered in the mix to select him.

All very good points. I certainly won't be upset if we take Wright at all - I was just expressing concern that he may not end up being a bona fide no.1 ruck - in his interview on afl.com.au he actually states that he sees himself as a KPF rather than a ruck. That makes me a little concerned when you consider that both Hawkins and Clark still have lengthy careers (hopefully) ahead and we additionally have Walker in the shadows. Your concerns re Vardy are entirely justified but he is at least another number here. Stanley may end up being better forward than in the middle as well.

I just hope that IF we do take Wright it is as a ruck first and foremost. I actually think the guy can ruck pretty well. I think he undersells himself as a ruck. I do agree that he is one of only a few players in this draft that look potentially to be elite performers down the track. I still reckon Durdin could be as well as a KPD. I really like his game.

I'm more circumspect about the mids (after Petracca and Heeney - I'm even cautious about Brayshaw due to his lack of an offensive game). It appears Kickett will be gone before 10 now. I still wonder when we traded up to 10 whether he was the player Wells had in mind? De Goey and Ahern are nice types but don't really excite me terribly. I've warmed to Duggan lately but Wells won't take him.

Wright and Durdin are my preferred two at 10 though. Would be very happy with either.

Goddard, Wright or Durdin, I've always had a special liking for Sth Aussies and I would not be disappointed.
He's been ranked inside top ten as well. Any of those 3 and we've justified the P10 IMO.

Goddard, Wright or Durdin, I've always had a special liking for Sth Aussies and I would not be disappointed.
He's been ranked inside top ten as well. Any of those 3 and we've justified the P10 IMO.

Will be interesting to see who is there at pick 10
With GWS having 3 picks before us they could snap up the best available Mid , KPD and Wright before we get our gun from our holster.
If we go mid I'm still on Laverde but wouldn't be unhappy if it was Cockatoo.

All very good points. I certainly won't be upset if we take Wright at all - I was just expressing concern that he may not end up being a bona fide no.1 ruck - in his interview on afl.com.au he actually states that he sees himself as a KPF rather than a ruck. That makes me a little concerned when you consider that both Hawkins and Clark still have lengthy careers (hopefully) ahead and we additionally have Walker in the shadows. Your concerns re Vardy are entirely justified but he is at least another number here. Stanley may end up being better forward than in the middle as well.

I just hope that IF we do take Wright it is as a ruck first and foremost. I actually think the guy can ruck pretty well. I think he undersells himself as a ruck. I do agree that he is one of only a few players in this draft that look potentially to be elite performers down the track. I still reckon Durdin could be as well as a KPD. I really like his game.

I'm more circumspect about the mids (after Petracca and Heeney - I'm even cautious about Brayshaw due to his lack of an offensive game). It appears Kickett will be gone before 10 now. I still wonder when we traded up to 10 whether he was the player Wells had in mind? De Goey and Ahern are nice types but don't really excite me terribly. I've warmed to Duggan lately but Wells won't take him.

Wright and Durdin are my preferred two at 10 though. Would be very happy with either.

Pretty much my thoughts although im a little more positive on DeGoey. There are a couple of nice "Geelong" traditional type in Laverde and Landford but its not really our first need , second or third even. Cockatoo looks to have a big upside but one 1 game , its would be a huge call for most clubs. personally I think GWS should consider him , 3 picks to use. Same with Lever I guess. The player id like the pros to explain is Garlett. To me he is close to Kicket , so close he could have been on the edge of top 10 ..yet no one rates him there.

Pretty much my thoughts although im a little more positive on DeGoey. There are a couple of nice "Geelong" traditional type in Laverde and Landford but its not really our first need , second or third even. Cockatoo looks to have a big upside but one 1 game , its would be a huge call for most clubs. personally I think GWS should consider him , 3 picks to use. Same with Lever I guess. The player id like the pros to explain is Garlett. To me he is close to Kicket , so close he could have been on the edge of top 10 ..yet no one rates him there.
Will probably turn out better. He the kid that goes for a run every morning on the beach or something isn't he?

Will be interesting to see who is there at pick 10
With GWS having 3 picks before us they could snap up the best available Mid , KPD and Wright before we get our gun from our holster.
If we go mid I'm still on Laverde but wouldn't be unhappy if it was Cockatoo.

Nahia Cockatoo is a very big talent, watching his video's he's all class in my very humble opinion, but I don't think they went after the P10 for him.
Although I'm not saying he's not worth a P10.
Laverde will go before our turn, but surely it would be one of the talls available at P10. If it was a medium sized type I'm confident we would've kept the previous pick situation for a 2nd tier defender like McDonald.
I wouldn't mind Durdin if he's still there either.

Nahia Cockatoo is a very big talent, watching his video's he's all class in my very humble opinion, but I don't think they went after the P10 for him.
Although I'm not saying he's not worth a P10.
Laverde will go before our turn, but surely it would be one of the talls available at P10. If it was a medium sized type I'm confident we would've kept the previous pick situation for a 2nd tier defender like McDonald.
I wouldn't mind Durdin if he's still there either.

Cockatoo is just a little too risky ...one game. For P10 , I think we need to go a little more percentage. Laverde while being a talent...where does he fit. Thurlow ish. At least someone like DeGoey will get games , one can hardly say we have too many Caddy types.Thing is not sure he is a 10 or a 14 , is he an upgrade? This year you may get little difference between 5 and 15.

Cockatoo is just a little too risky ...one game. For P10 , I think we need to go a little more percentage. Laverde while being a talent...where does he fit. Thurlow ish. At least someone like DeGoey will get games , one can hardly say we have too many Caddy types.Thing is not sure he is a 10 or a 14 , is he an upgrade? This year you may get little difference between 5 and 15.
I reckon I'd rather take a flyer at Cockatoo than De Goey.

I have no real basis for that but De Goey just seems so....vanilla. I think the guys in the Podcast summed him up really well.

Solid enough player but does he really look like a Pick 10.

I have no real basis for that but De Goey just seems so....vanilla. I think the guys in the Podcast summed him up really well.

Can someone link me to the Podcast I have not heard it. And I know you have you opinions on DeGoey, we will have to disagree on this one. To me he is not the high end majic man that we might hope for , but he would be a player we would be very happy to have in coming years. Is he my first choice? NO.. but Im not sure who will be there at P10. If it was Wright , Durdin and Degoey...Id shoot the the rapids and go Wright

Cockatoo's one game looked pretty exciting; explosive player.
Really hard to get a line on him after a solitary game for the season though.
DeGoey does little for me either, solid enough but I'm as surprised as you are that some experts have him going well inside the top 10.
If Duggan's not available I'd be happy to pick up Ahern, quick and creative.

Can someone link me to the Podcast I have not heard it. And I know you have you opinions on DeGoey, we will have to disagree on this one. To me he is not the high end majic man that we might hope for , but he would be a player we would be very happy to have in coming years. Is he my first choice? NO.. but Im not sure who will be there at P10. If it was Wright , Durdin and Degoey...Id shoot the the rapids and go Wright
I linked the YouTube clip in the thread. It is a little glitchy but I could make it out without too much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back