Blue and Gold Blood

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
Shame that Melbourne heirachy tanked today. He deserved to go out with a win after 200+ games today but apparently starting someone with 4 goals to his name on the bench to deliberately lose and get a priority pick takes precedence. Would have been a massive upset too as the 16th side on the ladder has never beaten the 1st in round 22. You could sense that the players wanted to do it for him and Wheatley as well but were beaten by their own administration. Pretty deflating thanks for a club champion being sabotaged like that.

Begs the question - do u think the players lose trust in their coaches when they are fakely instructed to win but obviously don't want to?

Begs the question - do u think the players lose trust in their coaches when they are fakely instructed to win but obviously don't want to?
Yes.

That's why you need to institute puppet coaches for the tank transition. They know the players won't ever respect them, but when the list has been built the coach is replaced.

Stkilda used Watson and Blight.

Beating the top side going into the pre-season would have been a great confidence booster for not only the players, but their supporters.

But of course, apparently having an extra untried kid is far more beneficial.

I was absolutely stoked we won our last two matches, one being against the top side and an interstate win, beats the hell out of losing and getting a higher draft position.

As an eagles fan, i flirted with wanting my team to lose...but i think players arent stupid and do know when the coaching staff is not trying hardest. i dont think its easy subconsciously to get that out of the system.

good luck to melbourne as they got screwed by carlton a few years ago when carlton tanked but i do believe subconsciously it has done some damage to melb players. btw melb could not ask for more than Scully. This guy will be better than Murphy or Gibbs, when it comes to looking at last few no.1 midfielders. Its a pity for them that Toy isnt available this year. GC have picked up an abo****e superstar.

Care to elaborate? How can possibly conclude that a win in round 22 is more important than an extra draft pick? Pick 2 that is, not just any pick.

You dont think St Kilda's priority pick in 2000 (Nick Reiwoldt) has helped them to success?
not to mention with gold coast taking most of the top youngersters in the draft

This is the AFL's fault not Melbourne's

Care to elaborate? How can possibly conclude that a win in round 22 is more important than an extra draft pick? Pick 2 that is, not just any pick.

You dont think St Kilda's priority pick in 2000 (Nick Reiwoldt) has helped them to success?

They would've got Riewoldt without the PP. The only extra thing they got was Kozi, who has been a massive disappointment and I'd even go as far as saying he was a mistake.

Haha, Poor old Russel Robertson got a goal, and got cheered off with a great ovation. Do you think he cares whether they won or not. I'd love to win every game but to delist Robbo and then win today would be a bigger mixed message anyway.

Best way to answer this is to ask the Eagle players how they felt to Worsfold tanking to get Naitanui.

My guess would be that they're happy he's on their side now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think Kozi has been a disappointment this year? Hardly.

He's been a total spud for 8 years and he puts together one mediocre season (45 goals from 20 games is hardly world beating) and all of a sudden he's not a disappointment?

Hardly worth tanking for. Who's to say Butcher wont end up the same?

He's been a total spud for 8 years and he puts together one mediocre season (45 goals from 20 games is hardly world beating) and all of a sudden he's not a disappointment?

Hardly worth tanking for. Who's to say Butcher wont end up the same?

Who's to say we will draft Butcher anyway? Looking more likely it will be Trengove at pick 2.

Some poor silly women kept telling her kids everytime we got a goal "it's ok kids we want to lose we want, then went on to name high draft picks" loud enough for all around her to hear. It was truly pathetic , the kids started waving their Melb flags every Saint goal.
I wish I had Vlad sitting next to me.

Some poor silly women kept telling her kids everytime we got a goal "it's ok kids we want to lose we want, then went on to name high draft picks" loud enough for all around her to hear. It was truly pathetic , the kids started waving their Melb flags every Saint goal.
I wish I had Vlad sitting next to me.

Why? It wouldn't make a difference, tanking doesn't exist remember?

You'd just end up sitting next to Demetriou.

The question is?

Is the addition of an extra pick early (priority pick) at the expense of the development of a number of players as clubs look at "list management" (losing to obtain a priority pick)?

Answer

Who knows - maybe

Maybe people should be more looking at how soft St Kilda was for three quarters instead of playing the tank game.

Sure, there were some signs. Frawley was awesome on Riewoldt but then he was benched and Roo got a couple on Dunn. Once he haid his tail wagging, there wasn't much stopping him. Jurrah, our potential matchwinner, didn't get onto the ground until about half way through the last quarter.

Gee, that kid with the DragonBall Z character as his avatar has to make a post to piss off everyone in every thread doesn't he? Chill out.

It was just about the perfect ending of the season for us. We went out playing well (until running out of legs) against a top team and Robbo, Wheatley and Whelan managed to get into the game a little.

Well done to the Saints players and supporters for staying out for so long to farewell the Melbourne players. Robbo in particular was very emotional. The game needs to have players like him who play with their hearts on their sleeve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor Russell robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back