Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide need to accept they are not the Magpies in the AFL competition but the Power.

Really that is where any discussion should start and end and it's about time the AFL remind them of that fact.

If they are so desperate to include a nod towards their SANFL heritage then why not propose a jumper with teal coloured prison bars on a black jumper or a teal coloured jumper with either all black or all white prison bars?

Hell if they really wanted to push the envelope they could look to mimic the St Kilda jumper which is similar to ours but includes a prominent third colour.

That is the compromise they should be working towards with Collingwood and the AFL.

I don't have a problem with them wearing their jumpers when they play in SA and not against the Pies (in SA).
Jumpers are similar but not the same.
They were founded prior to the Pies - would be a small concession to let them wear then in Home games.
NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, EPL all have multiple playing strips.
Pies need to be more inventive with their away strip.

I don't have a problem with them wearing their jumpers when they play in SA and not against the Pies (in SA).
They were founded prior to the Pies - would be a small concession to let them wear then in Home games.
No. They don't get to wear it whenever they like. Agreements should mean something. Port agreed to certain conditions on entry to the AFL. One of those conditions was that it couldn't have black and white stripes or the magpie logo. That is clear cut. Then there is the heritage argument. As there is no longer a heritage round, that appears to be clear cut as well.

Collingwood could grasp the initiative here, by proposing Port wear its beloved pylon guernsey in home Showdown matches. That's a once a year nod to the club's history in the SA league. That would be a compromise in good faith by Collingwood.

If Port complained or refused to accept such a compromise, which I suspect it would, it's real aim would be exposed. The AFL has already ruled against Port's wishes and has enforced its trademarks. Port would end up in court if it continued to defy the AFL's rules. As it is already in financial strife, that's a scenario it can't really contemplate.

I'd like to see Collingwood's Board take the lead on this, in calm, common sense fashion. It would give Collingwood the moral and legal upper hand. Let's do it Mr Korda.

They were founded prior to the Pies
The Power were founded in 1997.

1994 we gained an AFL licence.
1995 we announced the Power moniker.
1996 we were required to wait an extra year. John Cahill, Greg Boulton and Brian Cunningham remained in all their positions.
1997 we played our first AFL premiership season.
You should be moving heaven and earth to have your fans (especially the young ones) embrace the Power, this is detrimental to your identity, no matter what you say you will always come off as a pale imitation if you go down this road. The black and white stripes were taken long before you got here and calling them by a cute moniker like prison bars doesn't fool anyone

These clowns changed their jumper in 1902. Initially they won 3 premierships with magenta coloured jumpers.

Remarkably, the majority of Port Adelaide Football Club members opposed the change from the "Magentas" when the club had its annual meeting at the Railway Hotel at Port Adelaide on Wednesday, March 26, 1902.

If you feel the need to comment on a poster from another board that’s the way to do it.
You simply can’t reply to their post, (like you did to mine) and take it to another board, (cut and paste).
You can of course reply to their post on their board 😉
My head hurts.

Sorry to intrude but that is not an issue at all. We don't even depict a Magpie on our logo in the SANFL anymore as of 2019.
Your official website is “portAdelaide”, not Port Power.
Port Adelaide are an SANFL team/club.
Port Power were created as an AFL club.
The day they acknowledge that, and stop using the SANFL club as a crutch is the day they truly will have Power.

We should wear the prison bars as our away strip

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your official website is “portAdelaide”, not Port Power.
Port Adelaide are an SANFL team/club.
Port Power were created as an AFL club.
The day they acknowledge that, and stop using the SANFL club as a crutch is the day they truly will have Power.
The Port Adelaide Football Club joined the AFL Port Power was the initial nickname now just Power that is fact.

The Port Adelaide Football Club joined the AFL Port Power was the initial nickname now just Power that is fact.
Your clubs name in the AFL is a 'nickname'?
You are really the Port Adelaide Magpies masquerading as Port Power under an alias
Is that the story we're going with?

You'll never have your own identity while you keep whining to wear an old jumper from a lesser competition

You'll never have the Magpie or the sole black and white stripes so hanging on to the past will always mean you are incomplete, you feel that right now or you wouldn't be trying to wear it so badly

If you don't embrace the Power (which is a great name with a cool logo) you'll always be Collingwood light, it's how everyone sees you now and you need to stop for your own sakes and forge a history of your own

You'll never have your own identity while you keep whining to wear an old jumper from a lesser competition

You'll never have the Magpie or the sole black and white stripes so hanging on to the past will always mean you are incomplete, you feel that right now or you wouldn't be trying to wear it so badly

If you don't embrace the Power (which is a great name with a cool logo) you'll always be Collingwood light, you'll always be begging for favours from a bigger club
I'm fine with the Power the confusion you seem to have is Magpie related & that's all coming from you lot not us.

I'm fine with the Power the confusion you seem to have is Magpie related & that's all coming from you lot not us.
No I said black and white stripes as well so that fixation seems to be yours, we all know you never ever ever get the Magpie, and while you don't embrace the Power it will keep killing you

If the SANFL had become the national comp everything would be reversed and we would have no claim on anything, and if we tried you'd quite rightly look at us as upstart Johnny come latelies from a small pond, you can never win this, you can only make yourselves look smaller

To be honest you never stood a chance, Melbourne was the richest city in the world in 1880, not New York or London, Melbourne! and the big dog gets the bone Jimmy

Last edited:
Despite the Power supporters claiming it’s one club with two nicknames, they weren’t initially.
They were two separate entities and separate training facilities, (at the same ground).
It’s a very clever decision by the Power brokers 😉 to call on the supporter base of the Magpies.
Poor AFL attendances and poor finances at both clubs would have been the driving force IMO.
The use of the song Never Tear Us Apart is also very clever.
In 2013 it was decided the Magpies would be the AFL reserve team for the Power.
Any doubt about what they’re up to is extinguished in a an article written about their logos.
Coincidentally it was written in 2013 🤔 as is this forum discussion.
I will let Dwayne have the last word.

Port Adelaide founded 1870 - 22 years before Collingwood.
Ahh, the often confused formation argument used in an attempt to justify PA's claim. FYI these are the jumpers worn by Port during those 22 years and the next 10 before they reluctantly adopted black and white

Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.36.43 AM.png

Ahh, the often confused formation argument used in an attempt to justify PA's claim. FYI these are the jumpers worn by Port during those 22 years and the next 10 before they reluctantly adopted black and white

View attachment 1125122
Thanks for the information.
Then they have no rights to the design - still I don't care if they wear them in SA Home games -as long as they aren't playing the Pies.
Great info.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Remove this Banner Ad

Back