Port Adelaide. The real deal or pretenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely can't play all four?
Lord might have to go out but he looks a serious talent.

We can if we don't play a ruck. 3xKPFs with Finlayson/Dixon as ruck and occasionally Lord. Teakle's the worst ruck in the comp. Lycett played admirably tonight, but he's never played a full season in his career, is cooked, and will almost certainly be wrecked by the end of the home and away season.

I think they may be the real deal this year, as much as I hate to say it.

In previous years such as 2017, 2020 and 2021, their record against the top 4 was poor despite their high ladder finishes.

This year, their record against the top 4 has been decent so far with quality wins against Brisbane and Melbourne.

Do you think they're the real deal? Or pretenders?
253 posts in 12 years. so what's your main account?

Adelaide beat Richmond by 80 odd points in April 2017.

And to prove your point the 2017 premiership cup now resides proudly in the Adelaide clubrooms.

That's different. Game was played at Adelaide Oval, which is where they would have been expected to win.

Port would need to learn to play Collingwood at the MCG.

Dixon is cooked.
Should just go with Lord, Marshall and Finlayson as two of them are super agile.

I don't love him, but as long as he is nullifying his contests he is doing a job - and he's big and ugly enough to do that at the very least.

Surprised Mitch Georgiades fell out of favour before blowing out his knee; he looked a real prospect at one stage there.

Agree with you that Lord, Marshall and Finalyson present problems for opposition defenders to match up on Bobby

Rozee, Butters, Wines, Drew, Horne-Francis and the wily Boak with the likes of Bergman and Houston (as well as Duursma) rolling through on the wings gives them a real shot.

Not sure about my mob but Port we’re damn impressive in 3/4 quarters tonight with some key personnel to come back.

Valid doubts over the ruck division and KPD depth but that’s easily covered by the upside of their midfield.
Yeah nah…Trac tagged, heavy rain at tricky AO…Gawn and Brodes out of sorts etc etc

Dees had an off night. Much like they did vs us a few weeks ago.

I wouldn’t be too amped up yet if I was a Power person.

But it’s better than being a North or Hawk fan.

Dees had an off night, and still were better when it mattered. Port would need to get home finals till the big one, so would have to finish top two. That is achievable as they’ll win most home games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah nah…Trac tagged, heavy rain at tricky AO…Gawn and Brodes out of sorts etc etc

Dees have had a lot of off nights this year, including being assisted over the linexagainst a middling Gold Coast team.

Their best is good enough, but they haven't been at their best regularly enough this year. Yet...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like em, nice spread of talent, got some versatile players who are hard to match up on, very dangerous team IMO.

Probably just under the real deal for me. Not sure individually their defence stacks up. Great list of mids but how long can they push shit up hill losing the ruck?

But they’re in the frame to finish top 2 still, while they’re around there can’t say a definitive no.

I’d have Pies, Lions, Cats well ahead and Dees ahead still over the course of the season. Long way to go. Cats were 7th end of round 9, 6th end of round 10 last year…

The rain favored Melbourne and their bigger bodies. We were cutting them up until the rain fell in the 3rd quarter. Gawn/Grundy have been so so most of the year.

Not sure I understand the tempering of expectations. Noone is saying we're the presumptive favorite, or that we're so good 'just give it to us now, **** off everyone else'. The question is are we contenders, are we are genuine shot at a flag. We can't fall any lower than 3rd this week. We beat another top team without most of our forward line. We kicked 20 goals last week with the same forward line. It suggests our system is holding up. We've played 6 of the other 7 top 8 sides and are sitting at 4:2 with the 2 losses being the top side away, and a Showdown which are always 50/50. The only way you can say we are not a contender at this stage is if you give us little prospect of winning the flag. To do so in the face of being a top 4 side twice in 3 years and a top 4 side at the moment is strange. Collingwood haven't won a GF in more than a decade, Brisbane have a worse recent finals record than us, Melbourne were front runners last year, Sydney are stuffed, St Kilda haven't won a flag in anyone on here's lifetime. The bulldogs and Geelong are struggling to remain in the 8. If the logic is nothing matters until September then noone is a contender right now.

The rain favored Melbourne and their bigger bodies. We were cutting them up until the rain fell in the 3rd quarter. Gawn/Grundy have been so so most of the year.

Not sure I understand the tempering of expectations. Noone is saying we're the presumptive favorite, or that we're so good 'just give it to us now, * off everyone else'. The question is are we contenders, are we are genuine shot at a flag. We can't fall any lower than 3rd this week. We beat another top team without most of our forward line. We kicked 20 goals last week with the same forward line. It suggests our system is holding up. We've played 6 of the other 7 top 8 sides and are sitting at 4:2 with the 2 losses being the top side away, and a Showdown which are always 50/50. The only way you can say we are not a contender at this stage is if you give us little prospect of winning the flag. To do so in the face of being a top 4 side twice in 3 years and a top 4 side at the moment is strange. Collingwood haven't won a GF in more than a decade, Brisbane have a worse recent finals record than us, Melbourne were front runners last year, Sydney are stuffed, St Kilda haven't won a flag in anyone on here's lifetime. The bulldogs and Geelong are struggling to remain in the 8. If the logic is nothing matters until September then noone is a contender right now.
Port Adelaide are in it up to their necks this year.

Not sure I understand the tempering of expectations. Noone is saying we're the presumptive favorite, or that we're so good 'just give it to us now, * off everyone else'. The question is are we contenders, are we are genuine shot at a flag. We can't fall any lower than 3rd this week. We beat another top team without most of our forward line. We kicked 20 goals last week with the same forward line. It suggests our system is holding up. We've played 6 of the other 7 top 8 sides and are sitting at 4:2 with the 2 losses being the top side away, and a Showdown which are always 50/50. The only way you can say we are not a contender at this stage is if you give us little prospect of winning the flag. To do so in the face of being a top 4 side twice in 3 years and a top 4 side at the moment is strange. Collingwood haven't won a GF in more than a decade, Brisbane have a worse recent finals record than us, Melbourne were front runners last year, Sydney are stuffed, St Kilda haven't won a flag in anyone on here's lifetime. The bulldogs and Geelong are struggling to remain in the 8. If the logic is nothing matters until September then noone is a contender right now.

I’m sure it rained earlier than that. It bucketed in the 1st too

Port Adelaide should make top 4, like any good interstate side they should bank there home games maybe drop 1, that leaves 5-6 away wins which should see them top 4. Historically 16 wins gets you in.

I think last night says more about the Dees, I think they aren’t at Collingwood and Brisbanes level this year.

Port Adelaide should make top 4, like any good interstate side they should bank there home games maybe drop 1, that leaves 5-6 away wins which should see them top 4. Historically 16 wins gets you in.

I think last night says more about the Dees, I think they aren’t at Collingwood and Brisbanes level this year.
Melbourne are a genuine 5-8 side. Will finish 6th or 7th. Won’t beat Carlton, Collingwood or Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide. The real deal or pretenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back