AFLW Port Adelaide vs Crows - Round 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do the AFLW umpires come from? Last year they had a teenage girl umpiring and the guy tonight looked like a players Dad and it was his turn to umpire. Why don’t they make a couple of the maggots full time and get them to umpire AFLW as well.
Development umpires, which a lot of the girls would be. The bottom end of the AFL umpiring panel, and likely some guys who are looking at pushing into the AFL panel in the next year or so.

Where do the AFLW umpires come from? Last year they had a teenage girl umpiring and the guy tonight looked like a players Dad and it was his turn to umpire. Why don’t they make a couple of the maggots full time and get them to umpire AFLW as well.

Apparently Razor umpired an AFLW game today - he's retired from the AFL but it looks like he hasn't disappeared completely.

Its disgraceful. AFL spend millions marketing it but as usual doesnt get the basics right.
If you're talking about umpiring, we all know there's a lack of quality there. And that's a supply related issue as much as anything.

And that comes down to junior umpires not being willing to put their hand up to learn the trade at amateur and lower grades because of the crap they cop at grounds and online.

I'm as guilty as anyone for having a go at umpires but I reckon we all have to understand that we reap what we sow on that front in the lower grades.

That said, the criticism dished out at umpires at Alberton Oval for SANFL games would win a Miles Franklin Award compared to the vile gutter trash stuff dished up at Prospect, Unley, Richmond and Woodville Ovals every single SANFL game and the supporters of those clubs when they visit Alberton. And not one word is ever said from SANFL HQ.

Last edited:
If you're talking about umpiring, we all know there's a lack of quality there. And that's a supply related issue as much as anything.

And that comes down to junior umpires not being willing to put their hand up to learn the trade at amateur and lower grades because of the crap they cop at grounds and online.

I'm as guilty as anyone as having a go at umpires but I reckon we all have to understand that we reap what we sow on that front.

The SA field umps listed on here are mostly the senior SANFL senior umpiring panel.

Which makes the umpiring hardly surprising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah that’s right the state based draft where the draft picks outside the first couple had no value anyway.
Jasmine Simmons instagram has a picture of her at pre-season camp, but she looks like she might break in half if hit by a football.

We selected Georgie Jaques with pick 16. The draft ended at pick 29. She was our third pick after Jasmin Stewart and Katelyn Pope.

Her Dad was a Premiership player for the Maggies in 98.

Last edited:

The SA field umps listed on here are mostly the senior SANFL senior umpiring panel.

Which makes the umpiring hardly surprising.
Sorry mate, was too busy refining my post and hope it didn't affect what you commented on.

But yep, you're spot on. Zero accountability from SANFL for their umpiring inconsistencies, at any level.

Only see a handful of our AFLW games but enjoyed this one. We're definitely improving but the gap between our best (Saint, Goody, Syme, Cutherbertson...couple of others and the rest looks pretty vast). O'Dea still a favourite player. Tough as nails in the back lines.
In a game where 7 goals is often about enough, those 4 soft frees right in front of the goals are a travesty.

Development umpires, which a lot of the girls would be. The bottom end of the AFL umpiring panel, and likely some guys who are looking at pushing into the AFL panel in the next year or so.

And Chelsea Randall's dad.

It's not just the margins, it's the increase in competitiveness.

The first Showdown score was 8.15 to 0.3. We didn't even look like kicking a goal and it felt like we were light years behind them. 60 points was more than flattering.

The second Showdown we were competitive for a half, then fell away along with the usual armchair ride the crows get from umpires.

Last night we were in that game for the duration. If not for dodgy frees that kept them at arm's length (and if Teakle had kicked that goal in the shadows of three quarter time) we could have caught them at the death.

Their experience and clean ball handling through multiple possessions is still a bit too good for us, but it's close now.

I'm impressed by our scoring power, we look very dangerous when we go forward.

We battled to stop their ball movement, they seemed to sweep the ball from end to end with ease. I think we have a lot of players who get a bit lost when they have to defend. We relied a lot on Cuthbertson and Borg winning one on ones, which they did most of the time, but that's not ideal.

I think if we win 3-4 games and are competitive in most others that will be a fair effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Port Adelaide vs Crows - Round 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back