Port Adelaide's new coach is...

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's sort of unrelated but just wondering what you find wrong with him? Not trying to have a go just curious.

There's nothing to it, he's having a misdirected crack at Port by having another crack at another team. I'd say chances are the only North games he would've watched would've been the ones against Port and the Crows.

Brad has been awesome to get a team that many expected to be bottom of the ladder to have as many wins as losses. He's also done it with kids, and theres a lot to bloody like if you're a north supporter.

I know it's sort of unrelated but just wondering what you find wrong with him? Not trying to have a go just curious.

It is probably more to do with his persona on the TV than the results from North, who are a club I respect as they are always around the mark and always comeptitive. I also think he tended to over complicate things when explaining it and wonder how he relays his message to players.

11 wins is an improvement on the 7 of last year, maybe I am wrong in not rating Brad Scott. But I do wonder how much of that has to do with players playing for a new coach, and Brent Harvey in great form. North are a club I always expect to be around the mark anyway, and to bounce back into the 8 because of the culture of success down there.

There's nothing to it, he's having a misdirected crack at Port by having another crack at another team. I'd say chances are the only North games he would've watched would've been the ones against Port and the Crows.

Brad has been awesome to get a team that many expected to be bottom of the ladder to have as many wins as losses. He's also done it with kids, and theres a lot to bloody like if you're a north supporter.

Watch North quite a bit, and do like em. I just expected them to bounce back, based on what I said above. North would have the strongest success culture in the league given how competitive they are with limited resources.

Whoever coaches at Port will have more to push uphill than coaching at North. I would rate it the hardest job in the game. Given the media here, the supporters expectations and the lax nature of the playing group. Only need to watch a Port last quarter to see that in action.

He should get as far away from Williams as possible.
At least 10 other clubs would want him as a ruck coach.

Primus should have gone to North last year when he had the chance. A season out of Port Adelaide would have made him an unbackable favourite right now.

Brandon Lade is going about it the right way. If Primus does not get the Port job, Lade will be a Head Coach before him.

..Chris Scott according to Mark Stevens on MMM. To be announced this week or next. Apparently the decision makers wanted someone fresh not previously associated with the club.

I doubt this very much. They haven't appointed an outsider for over 50 years so why would they now? Primus will get the gig because Port as a club are too scared and gutless to hire anyone that doesn't have any affiliation with Port Adelaide or South Australia.

Primus will get the gig because Port as a club are too scared and gutless to hire anyone that doesn't have any affiliation with Port Adelaide or South Australia.

At what point has there been a precedent for this claim of 'scared and gutless'?

Fos Williams, Russell Ebert, Jack Cahill and Mark Williams - club legends one and all - have each felt the icy tap on the shoulder at one stage. Sure Choco was kept for 6 months too long, but it could've been worse.

Keeping an old sage on 3 years too long and replacing him with Matthew "Nothing at PAMFC, nothing at Bendigo, I'm ready" Knights comes to mind.

I would be a bit wary about a bloke becoming a big favourite after a presentation to the board.

Knights did a better presentation than Hardwick and we all know how that has ended up.

Also am I alone in not being overly impressed with Brad Scott as coach. Not just his results at North, but also in the way he is on AFL Insider, or whatever that show he is on is called. Time will tell I guess.

Chris Scott's CV was better than Knights at the time.

put aside the power/crows shitfight to begin with. primus has done really well, but apart from a year or 2 at fitzroy, i think his entire history has been at port adelaide. i think there is a bit of a culture problem down that way. if it was purely caused by the mark williams gold pass system, then they don't really need to look outside the square. if it wasn't, then they do. either way, if matty primus can get the right assistant gig, then he'll definately be better credentialled in the future. only problem is these days, who do you learn from;

malthouse - already has buckley as contracted heir
sheedy - mad as a cut snake
thompson - good candidate, any opportunities?
clarkson - continual doubts, but seemingly a good coach
bailey - last legs before this year, probably not a great teaching candidate
knights - gone
scott - first year coach, might be great, might be knights
voss - 2nd year coach, another bad year and probably gone
roos - premiership, super coach, retiring and handing over to 1st year
coach in longmire
craig - no-one learns from him, you only go there thinking you'll get the
big gig
harvey - see bailey, but has done ok.
mckenna - yet to coach a game
ratten - doubt much to learn from him
eade - good quality coach, but wil he have a senior gig next year
hardwick - see scott
lyon - probably best long term candidate
worsfold - premiership coach, but some shine might have been removed from that feat.

so answer is, there's really nowhere to go. my tip is if he doesn't get power, then he'll go to the newest coaches in longmire, scott or hardwick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alan Richardson has pulled out of the Port job to focus on the Essendon gig according to Mike Sheahan.
Just a clever bit of word play by Sheahan.
Richardson said he was open to other clubs interest.

I hope Primus gets the job at Port, not for any other reason than he has done a good job as assistant.

I think you should appoint Chris Scott if he is up to it but also because i would think Primus would still stay on as an assistant. Then you get the best of both worlds dont you. Sounds logical.

If Primus wants to be assistant, that is. I am sure he can land a Senior job, and if we don't appoint him would like to see him try, if he fails this would be ideal.

I don't think we NEED outside influence. Primus is our home-grown next younger coach who will bring success. And stamp out the "poison" that Choco has left, to imply it is impossible to get rid of is laughably pessimistic and therefore clearly an Adelaide Crow mentality.

put aside the power/crows shitfight to begin with. primus has done really well, but apart from a year or 2 at fitzroy, i think his entire history has been at port adelaide. i think there is a bit of a culture problem down that way. if it was purely caused by the mark williams gold pass system, then they don't really need to look outside the square. if it wasn't, then they do. either way, if matty primus can get the right assistant gig, then he'll definately be better credentialled in the future. only problem is these days, who do you learn from;

malthouse - already has buckley as contracted heir
sheedy - mad as a cut snake
thompson - good candidate, any opportunities?
clarkson - continual doubts, but seemingly a good coach
bailey - last legs before this year, probably not a great teaching candidate
knights - gone.............

Bailey is always being rated highly as a teacher of young players - both by current players and by Choco when he worked under him. He was also a development coach at Essendon in the years leading up to the 2000 premiership. The questionable part about Bailey is his match-day tactics, not his teaching ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide's new coach is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back