Port Magpies teetering

Remove this Banner Ad

No it's a fact! And of course the Crows contribute to the SANFL. Last year West Coast posted a profit of $4M+, yet as a similar sized/ demographic club like the AFC posted less than $1M. It's ludicrous!

And personally I want the Magpies to stay!

That's Bulldust, kids love history!

And how well is the WAFL going?

If it takes AFC to prop up the competition, then so be it . But it's about time you lot simply started putting your bums on the seats.

What would you like the Crows to do with the mega cash they would get if they had a stadium deal more favourable? It's not like they are pissing it up against a wall. You'dstill whinge that the Crows were making more money than you. No way is Port going to get one deal and Adelaide a different deal.

As for history, really. My kids have no idea who West Torrens were.

If it takes AFC to prop up the competition, then so be it . But it's about time you lot simply started putting your bums on the seats.

What would you like the Crows to do with the mega cash they would get if they had a stadium deal more favourable? It's not like they are pissing it up against a wall. You'dstill whinge that the Crows were making more money than you. No way is Port going to get one deal and Adelaide a different deal.

No one whinges that the Crows make more money than us...

Port fans are happy to point out that the Crows aren't making nearly as much money as they could. Trigg knows it, he's said it, but only has the guts to say it in a 'diplomatic' way.

Excuse Me? Centrals are a self confessed clone of everything that made Port Adelaide FC great.
Excuse me? Since when were the comments of one bloke - who had a job interview with Port the next day - taken as gospel? Many of us at Centrals, including Board members I have spoken to, strongly disagree with the 'Centrals copied Port' crap. ;)

Surely Centrals would be on its knees by now if they really had copied the Port model?

What's wrong with the WAFL? It's not like WA are currently struggling to produce young talent. It's not like they aren't producing any mature age recruits, heck most of the most impressive ones have come from WA recently. Harry Taylor, Liam Anthony, Bradd Dalziell, Haydn Ballantyne all recent picks. And their state based team beat us by a point this year...

I always had North pegged as a weakish type club but they have won alot of respect in how they have handled this saga. They have acted similar to the way I would have expected the Port Magpies mgmt to act if another SANFL club wanted to setup a similar alliance with the Crows. Good on them.

North a weakish type club - 3rd most premierships, 2nd most Magarey medals, 2nd least wooden spoons. What does that make most of the rest of the SANFL clubs then!!!!

I cant see how two organisations losing money can amalgamate and make a winner of it (especially when the P.O.W. Hotel is losing money as well) - I'd like to be proven wrong though.

I've been a Port supporter for nearly 40 years but I'm of the view the Power are the real PA, and the Maggies are the new club. Regardless, I continue to support the Maggies and beleive it'd be a shame for them to go.

Totally agree with the first point. The whole deal is a mystery to most of us. How is it possible for this deal to be a winner? If anyone has spelt it out, I must have missed it.

As for your second point, I have a number of mates who are very staunch Port Adelaide supporters for as long as you have been. Their outlook is, and has been since 1996, that the Port Adelaide they support decided to leave the SANFL and play for higher stakes in the AFL.

They do not follow the PA Magpies, never will, and they wish the PA Magpies would disappear up it's own backside. I dare say there are quite a number like that out there.

You know what I find most ironic? Fitzroy had less debt in 1996, and yet the AFL called in the receiver to clear the path for Port Adelaide.

Totally agree with the first point. The whole deal is a mystery to most of us. How is it possible for this deal to be a winner? If anyone has spelt it out, I must have missed it.

As for your second point, I have a number of mates who are very staunch Port Adelaide supporters for as long as you have been. Their outlook is, and has been since 1996, that the Port Adelaide they support decided to leave the SANFL and play for higher stakes in the AFL.

They do not follow the PA Magpies, never will, and they wish the PA Magpies would disappear up it's own backside. I dare say there are quite a number like that out there.

You know what I find most ironic? Fitzroy had less debt in 1996, and yet the AFL called in the receiver to clear the path for Port Adelaide.

Me and my family are the same

Why sell there only asset POW Hotel to fund on going costs?

Doesnt seem a good idea can't the club trade its ways out of debt?

I believe the pub was purchased a number of years ago after another save the club campaign, why have Port taken so long to ensure it will run at a profit or I am missing something and the pub does run at a profit.

The club needs a Campbell Rose to put is hosue back in order.

As a Norwood supporter when I lived in SA, I would not like to see the SANFL without Port, the club brings supporters thru the gate and all clubs seem to have big attendances and a rivarly with Port.

Love or hate them they add something to the competition, ther name conjures a history of the comp and they famous jumper.

You can argue all you like, that they are not the real Port and only joined the comp a few years ago, but they have name and the jumper.

I think in the long run they will be saved, as they many important supporters who push sponsors to help the club, a business would to say they saved Port great publicity.

I think the other directors seem to be short sighted in there decison. The decison not to help may help in the short term but it will have a bad affect on the comp in the long run.

Just to expand on roostersgal's post ...

It appears Gordon Pickard has decided he can do more for Port Adelaide. According to Rucci in today's tiser, he is increasing his private sponsorship of the Power to allow the Power to buy the Prince of Wales and secure the Magpies' future for at least the next three years.

According to Rooch, Mr Pickard's plan virtually resurrects the business benefits of the Power-Magpies merger model that was seemingly killed off by the clubs and Commission.

Rooch believes Whicker has endorsed the plan, which increases the Power's asset base, keeps the Magpies afloat and does not need approval by the SANFL clubs.

link
Mr Pickard, the SANFL and the two Port clubs would not comment publicly last night.

However an insider at Alberton last night told The Advertiser: "Gordon wants to save a significant South Australian sporting entity and he wants the Power to be seen doing it.

"He will increase his sponsorship of the Power, demanding the money be used to save the Magpies. It is a win for the Magpies because it buys them time to rebuild their business and become a going concern in the SANFL.

"It... (also) gains a valuable asset and continues to work the business plan in the original merger proposal when it moves pokie machines from the Port Club at Alberton Oval to set up new revenue streams at the Prince of Wales (hotel) and a new location in the northern suburbs. It is a win for the campaign to reunite the Port fans because Gordon wants it to be seen as the Power saving the Magpies."
link

The AFL didn't call in the receiver. It had no power to do so.

The path for Port Adelaide's entry was cleared anyway (if it needed clearing), because Fitzroy had virtually concluded a merger with North Melbourne.

The AFL was prepared to accept 17 teams for Season 1997 if a merger didn't take place. The preference though was to have 16 teams.

To that end the AFL even proposed an AFL merger between Fitzroy and Port Adelaide where the new AFL team would have been called the 'Port Power Lions'.

Excuse me? Since when were the comments of one bloke - who had a job interview with Port the next day - taken as gospel? Many of us at Centrals, including Board members I have spoken to, strongly disagree with the 'Centrals copied Port' crap. ;)

Surely Centrals would be on its knees by now if they really had copied the Port model?

Then I suggest you put that question to Kris Grant at the next opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont know why it is our last year, we had the most premierships.

That raises that question which Port owns all the flags and if both claim 1870 as a starting point.That raises the question that Woodville West Torrens may claim some of the heritage from 1870 .And before I start WW3 on Port Road West Torrens were formed from a club named Port Natives (players that left Port adelaide seems my clubs forefathers had some sense:eek::D) hence the claim.

And all those flags were in the 20th century don't like to say this Central Districts is the POWER HOUSE side in the 21st century.TOP 3 teams in this century so far Centrals and then either Sturt or Eagles .Sorry but Port don't figure in this centurys rankings .

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Magpies teetering

Remove this Banner Ad

Back