Port new cometition leaders?

Remove this Banner Ad

You can only compare teams in the same competiton. Essendon's 16 VFL-AFL premierships can only be compared to the other teams who have been part of VFL-AFL history. If Norwood, for example, were to go on and win their 28th SANFL flag this year, it would have no relevance to Essendon, and there would be no basis for comparison. You can't compare youself to a team that is in a different competition. The SANFL teams only have to compete against 8 opponents. Mathematically it is easier to win.

If this is the case, would it be fair to say that VFL premierships were easier to win than AFL premierships as there are now 16 teams, and not 12.
If you are going to include your Mickey Mouse VFL Flags, then we will include our Mickey Mouse SANFL Flags.

To End all debates, i think that maybe only AFL Flags should be counted.....Dan, this would still have the Bombers as one of the most succesful.
And if Port can win it this year, in their 6th Year, as compared to Essendons 12th Year, then Port will have half as many Premierships in half as many years... IMO this would make them equal.

Originally posted by chev1977
the topic 'Port new competition leaders' wont be up in September!

No, is that because in your opinion they will be leading from now on and therefore the thread will be better titled "Port - still the competition leaders";)

Oh f*ck here we go again... :rolleyes: After two years a man in his 40's still cannot get the message (or the facts)

Originally posted by Port Adelaide 1870
The former suburban parochial melbourne based competition (formerVFL), whos clubs formed the largest part of OUR national league...doesnt compare to the AFL either.

The standard might now be higher, but it DOES compare, in the sense that it is the same competition. When the league went national in 1987, there was no new league formed. Two new teams were added to an already existing league. So of course it compares. It's the same league, with 11 of the original teams (and "sort of" 12).

But I've already told you that fact 1000 times. I don't expect you to understand it. :rolleyes:

You'll just claim that we Victorians being a simple buch think that Essendon's 16 VFL-AFL flags have magically become national flags, and our 14 flags prior to 1987 have become elevated. :rolleyes: That is a load of horsecrap of course. Essendon's 14 flags prior to 1987 were won when the competition was suburban. The cometiton is now national, but it is the SAME legaue (i.e no new legaue was formed) so the 16 flags count as being won in ONE league. In other words, Essendon have won the current competiton 16 times. It doesn't mean they have been "national champions" 16 times. The standard of the legaue is totally irrelevant in every way. The ONLY thing that matters for the purposes of record keeping is that the league is a continuation of the same league.

But what am I telling you that for? You won't understand. South Australian football fans are the most passionate in Australia (which I admire), but that quality also makes them the most blinkered and parochial.

Dan26 ....everyone compare clubs in all leagues in every code, everyday, everywhere in the World.

No they do not. No Celtic fans would ever bother to make an irrelevant claim that they are more successful than Liverpool. The ONLY relevant comparison between Celtic and Liverpool is how they have done in the European Champions League (Celtic 1, Liverppol, 4). Celtics only relevant comparison is with their rivals in their own league.

Port Adelaide can comapre their success in the SANFL with the other SANFL opponents. But you can only compare your AFL history with the clubs who you have competed against in the AFL.

I'm proud of Essendon's 4 VFA premierships, but they don't count in VFL-AFL history. I can only comapre those to other VFA teams.

Im allowed to compare, thats that and Im allowed to state my perspective

Your perspective is the most blinkerd and parochial I have ever encountered. You NEVER listen. You just reiterate the same garbage. You'll defend yourself by why bother?

Hey, better watch it......you'll never catch NSW 45 Sheffield Shields. They are sooooo much more successful than you. :rolleyes:

Dan,

PA1870's "obsession" with the status and standard of pre-AFL SANFL (and all power to his arm I say !! :D ) is matched only by your obsession with PA1870.

Why are you so obsessed with him Dan ? He has a different point of view to you.....so what ????

You state the fact that there was no new league formed....big deal ??? everything you state from then on is simply your opinion, which is no more or less valid than anyone elses.

The sad thing is that you cannot see that PA1870 is baiting you up.....every time he writes "SANFL equivalent of VFL" I can tell that he ahs a little picture of you somewhere in is sub-concious....and you take the bait everytime.

You disagree with him.....but I don't see what you are getting so worked up over.

Vindaloo Mat:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Port new cometition leaders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back