Win Prizes Port, Pies & Saints 2024 Death Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some rule changes, as it's my baby and there has been some... disappointing opinions in here. The thread is for cheering on picks, you deathride or you have civil conversations in the non-freo thread.

**** Port, **** Pies, **** Saints!!!!

Last edited:
Given the reticence on Murphy and my doubts on Davies I wouldn't be adverse to maybe another project KPD in one of the next 2 drafts, hopefully from WA or either SA or Vic Country, to have that future hole plugged.

But yeah, Small Forward, daylight, Winger and goal kicking/line breaking mid are, the current priorities.
Given Draper and Cox's age, not sure we need to jump there yet. I'd let it play out for a bit. You can't have 4 KPDs at Peel.

Given Draper and Cox's age, not sure we need to jump there yet. I'd let it play out for a bit. You can't have 4 KPDs at Peel.
True, but the wheel turns quickly. With Tassie coming in that throws uncertainty of both Pearce's pull to go home and the depth of multiple drafts with many rebuilding teams into question.

Definitely not a this year worry, probably not next either, but definitely something we should be keeping an eye on and acting before any expansion drafts if we identify it as a concern in those couple of years

True, but the wheel turns quickly. With Tassie coming in that throws uncertainty of both Pearce's pull to go home and the depth of multiple drafts with many rebuilding teams into question.

Definitely not a this year worry, probably not next either, but definitely something we should be keeping an eye on and acting before any expansion drafts if we identify it as a concern in those couple of years
It really doesn't though. Cox is 26, we've got 3 years minimum before having to draft his replacement to be ready at 32/33. Draper is 21. And for all we know, AP plays until 34.

We play 2 KPDs. It is very difficult to justify drafting a KPD this year. If Murphy leaves at the end of next year and Davies stagnates then maybe then.

If you want to draft a backman, it would be Ryan's replacement, not Cox's. Same age as Pearce.

It really doesn't though. Cox is 26, we've got 3 years minimum before having to draft his replacement to be ready at 32/33. Draper is 21. And for all we know, AP plays until 34.

We play 2 KPDs. It is very difficult to justify drafting a KPD this year. If Murphy leaves at the end of next year and Davies stagnates then maybe then.

If you want to draft a backman, it would be Ryan's replacement, not Cox's. Same age as Pearce.
Fair. I have my queries re: Draper and Davies (moreso Davies) as well as Murphy so that's probably impacting my thought process there (which, if they're all busts is why you'd realistically look to do that anyway). Agree to disagree.

Fair. I have my queries re: Draper and Davies (moreso Davies) as well as Murphy so that's probably impacting my thought process there (which, if they're all busts is why you'd realistically look to do that anyway). Agree to disagree.
If you somehow can't see the AFL player that Draper is going to be, then you can absolutely make the case for a KPD.

I'm near 100% that he will be AFL standard as a bare minimum.

Do tell. What are your queries of Draper, Davies and Murphy.
Murphy in whether he'll stay, Davies on whether he can make the step up to the next level and Draper, well, not really worried about being AFL standard more as to how high the ceiling is and even that he has shifted expectations of him several times in his first few games.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of defenders I guess? I don't know.

Jeez man, you're very tough. Davies is dominating Peel and Draper has shown a lot at AFL level. I'll go as far to say I don't think any team in the AFL has as good a developing KPD youth as we do.

Jeez man, you're very tough. Davies is dominating Peel and Draper has shown a lot at AFL level. I'll go as far to say I don't think any team in the AFL has as good a developing KPD youth as we do.
I think it more stems from the fear of what happens when we get smashed in the clearances and they're constantly dealing with quick entries one on one. Last year probably shook me up on that one as even (a now acknowledged Injury carrying) Pearce struggled and regressed in his ability to deal with that. Took me back to the bad days a bit.

I will say that each of our young KPD looks to be tracking very well/exceptionally in terms of intercept into rebound which is what where the modern game is won or lost so I think I'm probably just reading too much into how they deal with the worst case scenarios and not acknowledging that's mostly an outlier/fringe scenario for them to be dealing with, especially in non-rebuilding teams.

tbh, lets just draft the best available.

nailing the draft pick is more important. if we have a surplus to needs we can trade them for more draft picks. (the GWS strategy).

tbh, lets just draft the best available.

nailing the draft pick is more important. if we have a surplus to needs we can trade them for more draft picks. (the GWS strategy).
Best available that's not a KPD, KPF, ruck or inside mid you mean?

You do not get value for high picks stuck in your 2nds. See GC and GWS if you need evidence. It is a terrible way to maintain value.

We're much better off sending picks forward indefinitely. That would likely increase in value over time on average. For example, it is not inconceivable that would could turn the Pies first into a top 3 next year, all because we're willing to wait another year. I don't think we will, but we could.

Best available that's not a KPD, KPF, ruck or inside mid you mean?

You do not get value for high picks stuck in your 2nds. See GC and GWS if you need evidence. It is a terrible way to maintain value.

We're much better off sending picks forward indefinitely. That would likely increase in value over time on average. For example, it is not inconceivable that would could turn the Pies first into a top 3 next year, all because we're willing to wait another year. I don't think we will, but we could.

I’m actually not against drafting another inside mid at all tbh.

Fyfe is old and Brodie isn’t that good. Jury still out about Erasmus. Honestly don’t think our depth there is as good as many on here think it is, especially for three years time which tbh is more what you’re drafting for than now anyway.

Genuinely okay with best available that isn’t a tall with our first pick then go to needs after that. We’ll either have multiple first rounders or have traded for a small forward - only way that doesn’t happen that way is if Warner comes this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m actually not against drafting another inside mid at all tbh.

Fyfe is old and Brodie isn’t that good. Jury still out about Erasmus. Honestly don’t think our depth there is as good as many on here think it is, especially for three years time which tbh is more what you’re drafting for than now anyway.
I don't mind picking up 1 or 2 with picks in the 25+ but there is no chance I'm sinking another first rounder into any of those positions I said above.

We may be a bit short of mid Depth at Peel, although I'd argue Brodie and Erasmus are as good as anyone has in the 2s, but even if I granted you that, we're short of at least 1 forward and 1 winger in our B23. That has to come first given the position we're in.

And that's leaving out #chadlocked

I think it more stems from the fear of what happens when we get smashed in the clearances and they're constantly dealing with quick entries one on one. Last year probably shook me up on that one as even (a now acknowledged Injury carrying) Pearce struggled and regressed in his ability to deal with that. Took me back to the bad days a bit.

I will say that each of our young KPD looks to be tracking very well/exceptionally in terms of intercept into rebound which is what where the modern game is won or lost so I think I'm probably just reading too much into how they deal with the worst case scenarios and not acknowledging that's mostly an outlier/fringe scenario for them to be dealing with, especially in non-rebuilding teams.
I'm higher on Davies than most, I think.he could turn into a very good 1v1 AFL defender just by way of his competitiveness but I probably agree none will be elite 1v1 defenders. Having said that, you can have 50 goes at it and not find a Sam Taylor or you can recycle some washed up forward who becomes very good. The lock down KPDs are kind of weird talent wise.

I don't mind picking up 1 or 2 with picks in the 25+ but there is no chance I'm sinking another first rounder into any of those positions I said above.

We may be a bit short of mid Depth at Peel, although I'd argue Brodie and Erasmus are as good as anyone has in the 2s, but even if I granted you that, we're short of at least 1 forward and 1 winger in our B23. That has to come first given the position we're in.

And that's leaving out #chadlocked

In three years time I reckon inside mid and HBF are just as important as the wing tbh. Small forward not so much but if we were to trade in Bolton that’d change.

I'm higher on Davies than most, I think.he could turn into a very good 1v1 AFL defender just by way of his competitiveness but I probably agree none will be elite 1v1 defenders. Having said that, you can have 50 goes at it and not find a Sam Taylor or you can recycle some washed up forward who becomes very good. The lock down KPDs are kind of weird talent wise.
Agreed. I also think they're far more valuable for rebuilding teams that hit their prime later in their careers...which probably also is a mindset as a Freo fan I (and we) need to get out of as that no longer describes us or our needs. Also I need to back in Pearce to hang around and to have a longer career than his previous injury status says he should have.

Our oldest inside mid is 25.

I'd definitely take a top end half back over inside mid.
Fyfe and JOM are both options and are 30+.

Erasmus is the only semi viable option outside the best 22. Brodie will be delisted the moment his contract is up so his age is irrelevant.

That's all happening by 2026. We'd be thin as anything.

Fyfe and JOM are both options and are 30+.

Erasmus is the only semi viable option outside the best 22. Brodie will be delisted the moment his contract is up so his age is irrelevant.

That's all happening by 2026. We'd be thin as anything.
I think that's why it seems better to get a couple with 2nd rounders. I think if I'm drafting someone with a top 10 pick moving forward I'd want to see a clear path to how they are clear best 22 within the next two years.

I think that's why it seems better to get a couple with 2nd rounders. I think if I'm drafting someone with a top 10 pick moving forward I'd want to see a clear path to how they are clear best 22 within the next two years.
Can only work with what we have. It's not my preference and I'd like said mid to have a second string but I'm not not going to rage if that's what we select first, especially if we recruit for needs within the first 30 picks anyway.

It's not necessarily Fyfe we're actually trying to replace though: The Fyfe we're all thinking about hasn't actually existed for 4 years and we've built well around that. Current Fyfe is more of a role player than an impact player. What we're looking for is that line breaking bull who can go forward and kick a few. I actually think JL has put a focus on developing this in the last 6 weeks by rotating all the starting mids through the forward line and trying to develop that in our current stocks.

Of everyone we have: Young is currently the closest to that. If we add a Warner then our midfield essentially becomes next to impossible to shut down entirely due to the sheer versatility and damaging nature essentially always starting one or two forward or off a wing (essentially covering every list hole we have with one trade rather than 3).
Agree on Young now that I think about it. He’s our best player right now imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Win Prizes Port, Pies & Saints 2024 Death Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back