Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s so easy to Understand why he’s not running out games, fitness etc.
He gets smashed by experienced rucks when he’s only 22. Sandi didn’t make his debut until 23.
Darcy gives the midfield a chop out. Would’ve been huge for us vs Gold Coast last week
Not that it matters - but Sandilands got a rising star nomination in his debut year. So he was under the 21yr old threshold. Must have debuted at 20

I feel bad for Adelaide fans, where as we have our next generation clearly obvious in Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker, Young, Serong, Sturt and Henry, their list may be in the worst position of all time. Of the players on their list you can build around, its probably Fogarty, Doedee, McAdams and Hamill with the jury out on McAsey and Jones (early signs not great here).

There is nothing in the midfield coming through and there older players dont have much left in them.

They are 5+ years away from competing again

Shocking game of footy really but a few encouraging signs.

Surprised Serong only played 58% game time but we seem to do that a lot with our younger mids.

We need to find a way to play like that first quarter consistently with more overlap run and less long down the line kicks. We looked good when we had Hill and Young in particular running and creating off half back.

Stoppage work was still a concern but Mundy stood up in there which made a big difference.

Biggest worry is still our forward connection as we struggle to lower our eyes and hit targets going inside 50. Forwards need to work on that chemistry too as they often compete against each other in the air and don’t create space for each other.

Good to win but hard to take too much out of that game.

I feel bad for Adelaide fans, where as we have our next generation clearly obvious in Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker, Young, Serong, Sturt and Henry, their list may be in the worst position of all time. Of the players on their list you can build around, its probably Fogarty, Doedee, McAdams and Hamill with the jury out on McAsey and Jones (early signs not great here).

There is nothing in the midfield coming through and there older players dont have much left in them.

That's actually the real positive, we got a won so that monkey is off the back and we have a clear young group to build around.

I remember a game at Subi many years ago where I actually felt sorry for the opposition and that was the Crows too.

After they got their shit together and won a flag a few years later and we’re still pissing around trying to win our first, I learnt a very valuable lesson.

:thumbsu: Seeing more complete games by the older of the youngsters, eg, Cerra, Logue, Darcy etc. They used to pop up occassionally and show us a glimpse, today they were starting to earn their pay (Brayshaw imho earning it for longer).

:rolleyes: But that just highlights, that the team needs more time. Skills themselves aren't generally an issue (we probably showed as the more skillful team over all - if only we had some of those skills back in our premiership tilts), but in a contact sport, bulk and muscle count for a lot and our young things still need another season or two for them to get meat on their bones. Which really highlights how vulnerable we are atm leading to...

:thumbsdown: no Mundy and we would have been flogged, Walters gave some assistance in the midfield in q4 (just sheer speed and skill), but no Mundy and we would have been totally flogged in the midfield. Our young up-comers, irrespective of how good they are, aren't going to enter midfield beast mode next year methinks.

Positives- a win for some confidence & happy campers.
No fyfe & the boys lifted which I felt we would. I still dont think fyfe gets the team involved enough. Would much rather have him sitting in the forward half for large chunks so he can use those big hands & practice kicking goals more.
Darcy had his best game.
Hogan starting to get involved.
Sturt. 😁
Duman, Bewley & schultz didnt crab it up as much as usual

It’s not all doom and gloom for Hogan. He’s been really close a few times. But he has just played his third game back, and JLo hasn’t got a gameplan fully developing yet.
Once Tabs and Hogan Click, it’ll be fantastic to watch unfold. Honestly, who has been in charge of forwards under Ross and now JLo? Why do I get the feeling it’s the same coach.. I’m sure JLo will get his own next season. Collingwood and west coast have a great chemistry with their forwards and JLo was right in it during their GF years, albeit defensive coach, I think. Needs to get a whisper into those assistants’ ears and try to lure them across..
Freo hasn’t had a forward line connecting for years now. It’s embarrassing.

Pretty simple really Tabs stay near the goal square. Hogan push up to HFF and thereafter Lobb to about 30-40 out where he took two marks. Hogan have clear space to run at ball carrier. If the option isn’t on bang to ball to one of the two hotspots.

I agree with your premise, they need to seperate.

But Tabs is more of a runner than Lobb - and Lobb has the biggest reach in the team (and possibly the league), so Lobb to goal square and Tabs needs to get separation and lead. Hogan, I woulda thunk could follow his nose as he has the footy smarts - but seems to pass the ball in a "like me please" manner instead of taking shots that he would otherwise nail.

don't mind Jones so far, McHenry who he was drafted with though isn't looking great. really need them to be testing out some of their other kids they've drafted, McPherson in 18, Schoenberg, O'Connor and Worrell from last year

Are we liking the emotion from Jlo in the box? Bit of Chris Scott about him surprisingly. It's definitely a change from at times the robotic Lyon.
I like what I saw at half time, we were up but not playing well and let them know it.

We were even worse in the 3rd but still =)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we liking the emotion from Jlo in the box? Bit of Chris Scott about him surprisingly. It's definitely a change from at times the robotic Lyon.
It was like watching my own reactions in old man replay. He is riding the waves with us.

Tucker was amazing in that play, but what I loved also is Brayshaw's composure after receiving the handball from Tucker. Andy was under pressure, but instead of giving an immediate handball to Sturt, who would've been tackled straight away, he handball wider to an open Wilson who charged across the outer corridor.
Yeah. Was clever

Positives
I love how Young when running out of the back half, hand balls to a team mate and then continues to push foward looking for another kick\handball.
Hill is starting to look really good.
Cerra, Aish and Brayshaw were all good.
Logue was brilliant, he was fault less.
Sturt looks really good.

Negatives

I don't understand why Wilson is playing. He is clearly injured.
I don't see any positives with Bewley, does not get much of the ball and his skills are average at best.
Forward structure needs more work. They need to work out how to space themselves a lot better.

I can’t wait until Hogan gets some confidence up again. There was one point where he took a mark on the 50 and I was so excited to see him have a shot but he chipped it over to Tabs in a pocket who kicked a point. I’d rather see Jesse go for it from 50 than Tabs on an angle like that.

I can’t wait until Hogan gets some confidence up again. There was one point where he took a mark on the 50 and I was so excited to see him have a shot but he chipped it over to Tabs in a pocket who kicked a point. I’d rather see Jesse go for it from 50 than Tabs on an angle like that.
Hogan has never had a long leg, I suspect even at full confidence he passes that.

I don't see any positives with Bewley, does not get much of the ball and his skills are average at best.
I'm not so negative about Bewley. We can all acknowledge that he's not a top-grade AFL player on exposed form as well as skills. But he's doing a job we don't have many available options for after a couple of notable departures and injuries.
There was that little passage where he was caught behind in marking contest on the wing, saw he was out positioned, and very quickly zipped out from behind, around in front, and out marked the Adelaide player on his chest in a one on one which stopped one of a string Crows counterattacks up that wing.

Trying to find some footage of it. I'm just going by memory, it was a standout for me.

Hogan doesn’t have the distance tbh. He’s almost like Mayne, 45-50m is his max.
Imagine if he had the Hogan marking and leading Combined with the Pavlich kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide - Round 5 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back