Positives & Negatives vs Port Badelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate this jack argument. I think the kid will be a gun. I think he has been ok, had a couple of bad games everyone does.The main concern and im still concerned is his fitness. Struggles to run out quarters let alone a game. You can't have him there if he can't life his legs anymore half way through the third term. Ive said it before and ill say it again untill he gets his fitness up he should be a) playing vfl or b) used as the sub as he was today.

hes been poor! today he was better

Brady's biggest problems are he handballs to blokes under pressure, can't kick most of the time and played on today when he took a great grab in the middle and shanked it. If he plays, play him as a tagger.
Gee it was good to see some run today. Last week they looked like they were running on the spot most of the lads. Harper is a jet

Positives:
- The young guys preparedness to run ahead of the ball and create, giving the player who took the ball a moving (and offensive) option to give to - rather than having to give to a stationary (defensive) player as has occurred all year thus far;
- The number of shepherds. Boomers three bounce goal included two very timely shepherds, without them he would've gotten caught. Years since I've seen us lay that many shepherds, makes an aging ex-footballer very happy.
- The movement in the forward line, Petrie, Hansen, Thomas and Wright in particular seemed to be on the move. Either running into space, or creating it.
- Confident defenders. Defenders stepping up and marking in contests and/or running off their man.

Negatives:
- Will I be committing sacrilege if I nominate Boomer for not EVER handballing when within range (or within a 3-bounce run of being within range)? Was lucky he kicked goals today, should've given off a few times. Wasn't the only one, a couple of guys took shots on goal having ignored better options. Boomer was almost Motlop-esque in that regard, I thought. Though he played a very good game, I think that as a captain he is missing golden opportunities to bring the kids into the game (kicking a goal is massive for a 0-50 gamer).
- The quality of the opposition. Any SANFL/WAFL/VFL team could've served that up. I've never seen a team so disinclined to defend the 'corridor'.
- Our reliance on winning 1 on 1's in the backline, luckily they were insipid, so we won them often, but a talented team would hurt us there. Maybe it was a result of us running forward so hard assuming we'd win the contested ball that left us short of the 'third man up' at the defensive contest?

All in all - Woo farquen Hoo!!!!!

The quality of the opposition. Any SANFL/WAFL/VFL team could've served that up. I've never seen a team so disinclined to defend the 'corridor'.

I know it's been mentioned a lot tonight, but it's worth mentioning again - Port Adelaide are currently exploring new frontiers in bad.

Obviously, some straighter kicking would have seen a pretty significant blowout in the margin, but on the upside we didn't really allow them much in the way of junk-time shenanigans to flatter them on the scoreboard either. Which was nice.

Positives:

- All the stuff that people have already said.

- Shepherds. I saw real live shepherds. (The football kind.) Made my day.

Negatives:

- While they were slightly less take-a-shotgun-to-your-head annoying than usual (probably another comment on the standard of our opposition today), I still reckon the kick-outs need a fair bit of work. More movement and a more effective structure are required, although I can't help but think that moving the ball back into play a little quicker - like, ooooh I don't know...every other team in the competition does - could be something worth considering. Just not sure the whole 'moving in slow motion' thing is the way to go.

- Other things that I'm sure will be covered ad infinitum by those more inclined to do so than myself.

Bizarro World:

- 13min-ish mark of the 2nd Quarter. Pratt stood off a Port player - allowing him time to gather himself and pick up the ball - rather than taking a few steps forward to pressure/tackle him. Just stood and waited. A kind of quick, incidental moment, but also an incredibly weird one.

POSITIVES

* Spitta (has to be a classed as a genuine A grade mid now)
* Boomer (gee he will be missed when he retires - absolute legend of this club)
* The form of the young guns (Atley seems to have all the time in the world ala Basti, his side step in the last quarter from the centre bounce was scary good)

NEGATIVES

* Brady's Bombs to a 1 on 3 forward target.
* Daniel Mop-a-lot (what a 'homesick' little knob jockey he is..)
* Poor Lachie Hansen (that was nasty)

Fair enough Port were bad, but they did beat the Crows and they did have just as much to play for today.

Our midfield seemed to have a better balance about it today, we certainly had more solid contributors and had some spark. But where it all really came crashing for Port imo was the pressure our forwards displayed, it was dare i say it, Collingwood like. Now to do it week in week out while becoming more polished.

Bizarro World:

- 13min-ish mark of the 2nd Quarter. Pratt stood off a Port player - allowing him time to gather himself and pick up the ball - rather than taking a few steps forward to pressure/tackle him. Just stood and waited. A kind of quick, incidental moment, but also an incredibly weird one.

Yeah WTF! No-one around me seemed to make a big deal. It was almost as if he decided that the port player had his head over it and any high contact may get him in trouble...but yeah weird.

Positives were guys like Ziebell, Wright and Goldy playing top games. Harper having a good debut and of course the overall hunger that we seemed to have and running out the last quarter which we always struggle to do.

Negatives are really obvious. Our kicking for goal is no longer a laughing matter as if it ever was in the first place. It's downright embarrassing. If Thomas can't kick then perhaps he should be moved up the ground a bit.

Rawlings isn't a shadow of his former self and is now a liability. He just is the last person you want to have the ball in his hands. That's pretty sad as he once was a very good player but now handballs inside to players who are standing flat footed. He gives the opposition at least 3 goals every week.

Our defense still looks pretty shaky. We played a crap team today but still our defense looked in trouble at times. A good team will slaughter this . Too often players look for the man rather then reading the ball. I just don't get this. Have they not watched videos of the 90's where top fullbacks like SOS and Mick would feel their opponent then win the ball or if not go the spoil.
Our guys are still trying to feel their man when the ball has already landed in the opponents hands. It's a management problem. Someone is giving them crap advice.

Winning the game was a big positive even if it was against a crap side. We don't need the crap that they will no doubt cop now.

I really dont give a stuff what you think.
Check the last line "That being said"

When you say "That being said" you generally include the 8 or so chases that put pressure on the ball leaving our forward line as well as the goal assist in the last quarter.

You're selling LT's tackling short if you think he only had 2 good tackles early, he had at least 5 good tackles for the day.

We sat behind the bench yesterday, so it was interesting to see how they work the rotations & who comes off the most. I can tell you that Ziebel plays no more than 3-4 mins & then comes off, this went on the the whole game.

Compare that with Boomer, he pretty much comes off once per quarter, I know it's probably a stantard thing, but why would 3 players have to come off ater 3 mins at the start of each qtr?, surely they have more than 3 mins of running in their legs, it happened every qtr.

Ziebel was definately the most roatated player while he was on the ground.

Positives:

The Crowd, 16k is a success
Goldy, welcome back
LT tackling, what a difference it makes.
JZ best game in awhile...please don't be injured and miss, you need continuity
Wright trying to get involved more
Narni, Pratt, good
The inclusions, nice game to give them confidence
Brady used it fine
Boomer will play 400

Negatives:

Our backs scare me, Pratt and McMahon look stuck in cement ( they defended very very well ). Thompson isn't very good, ran hard in the 4th to save himself being dropped. Firrito can't defend at all on small or tall, his bullocking running is good though. Narni showed plenty today, he is our 1 complete defender. I have decided that Lachy should be CHB and Thompson goes, we have options at CHF with the kids. We still need a skilled quick defender, I think Wells should be played down back exclusively for awhile.

Rawlings Narni Pratt
Wells Hansen Firrito

Get well soon Lachy!

Only negative is that we dominated so much, it should have been at least a 15 goal win.

The problem is, you don't want to be negative after a good win, but you're right. Some of the missed shots were pretty average. On another note, as Flawed Genius said, that's why you don't drop Wright. Eventually as he matures he'll get his consistency together, but that goal was Carey like.

It actually reminded me of where I was sitting about 30m away from where I was standing yesterday. Unfortunately on that occasion we lost.

We sat behind the bench yesterday, so it was interesting to see how they work the rotations & who comes off the most. I can tell you that Ziebel plays no more than 3-4 mins & then comes off, this went on the the whole game.

Compare that with Boomer, he pretty much comes off once per quarter, I know it's probably a stantard thing, but why would 3 players have to come off ater 3 mins at the start of each qtr?, surely they have more than 3 mins of running in their legs, it happened every qtr.

A good observation.

Also an example to some supporters, Jack isn't going to be an overnight superstar, unfortunately he will take some development time, which was set back by a few injuries.

He had what? 15 possies and 7 tackles in bugger all game time, all his disposals were class, especially around the clearances.

He's never going to be Shane Crawford, but in a few years he will have the endurance to put up some big numbers.

Not to many blokes can stop Rodan in his tracks when he gets going, like he did a number of times, Jack will be an absolute bull, he's only just turned 20.

He will be our best midfielder by a fair stretch imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good observation.

Also an example to some supporters, Jack isn't going to be an overnight superstar, unfortunately he will take some development time, which was set back by a few injuries.

He had what? 15 possies and 7 tackles in bugger all game time, all his disposals were class, especially around the clearances.

He's never going to be Shane Crawford, but in a few years he will have the endurance to put up some big numbers.

Not to many blokes can stop Rodan in his tracks when he gets going, like he did a number of times, Jack will be an absolute bull, he's only just turned 20.

Good analysis. Now we just need to educate a few of our supporters about Lachlan Hansen.

Pos

Swallows nifty late decision short pass into the forward fifty

Generally not looking flat footed

Scott keeping the faith in LT, wright, JZ, Cunnington etc...

Developing some killer instinct. We may not have beat them by a hundred but we had enough scoring shots to. Glad we have stopped grafting wins from teams that play badly

Boomers team goal of the year

Rewarding form in the twos with selection in the seniors

Negs

It was port

Lachie

Goal kicking

And while that is not necessarily confirmed by this stat, it certainly is an indicator that way. Ziebell spent just 36% time on the ground yesterday (subbed off at about the 8 to 10 minute mark of the third). In that time he collected 14 possessions, including 6 contested, took 5 marks, sent the ball inside 50 6 times, laid 5 tackles and made 2 critical errors. That in my opinion is a very nice game.

While we are on it, why the continuing negativity from some about LT.

LT had 79% time on the ground collecting 15 possessions, including 6 contested, took 5 marks, sent the ball inside 50 2 times, laid 5 tackles and made 1 critical error. His accuracy let him down with 1.6 but this will come back in time. I thought he was a great contributor and set the tone early with his ferocious tackling.

Developing some killer instinct. We may not have beat them by a hundred but we had enough scoring shots to. Glad we have stopped grafting wins from teams that play badly

For mine this is very very important. All top teams have it they just dont let the opposition back in. Young teams that have the potential, start off with a one here n there, they become more regular and before you know it your a challenger. We're a long way off that, but shows the potential is there.

One of the most positive weeks i can recall, perhaps since the 90s team began their rise. An important game in establishing belief - now we need a big team scalp - like Geelong.

Negatives:

Our backs scare me, Pratt and McMahon look stuck in cement ( they defended very very well ). Thompson isn't very good, ran hard in the 4th to save himself being dropped. Firrito can't defend at all on small or tall, his bullocking running is good though. Narni showed plenty today, he is our 1 complete defender. I have decided that Lachy should be CHB and Thompson goes, we have options at CHF with the kids. We still need a skilled quick defender, I think Wells should be played down back exclusively for awhile.

Rawlings Narni Pratt
Wells Hansen Firrito

Get well soon Lachy!

Absolutely agree with this. Hansen needs to go back to CHB, his aerial abilities will be massive to the defence.

I logged on to gush about JZ's performance but see that Pykie and Horace have already gone there. If that is the level of performance that we can expect from Jack most weeks, when he is actually on the ground for more than 60% game time he will be an out and out champ.

Absolutely agree with this. Hansen needs to go back to CHB, his aerial abilities will be massive to the defence.

Have been thinking the same thing especially after Richmond. Because Lachie gets worked under the ball so easily all defenders know that is how to play him. He needs to learn to mark in front of his body with his arse out like the greats. This weakness is less of a problem in defense where his leap is able to be used to spoil. He is ignored a huge amount on leads though - Petrie is the singular target and we need to use more of our other options. Try Tarrant forward - he has good hands.

Agree with Horace on LT. His first quarter tackling set the tone and he at least was not doing those moronic staging all day although another pointless leap was in evidence. Kicking woeful - but at least he gets it which a lot don't.

Postives

LT's attitude. Was clearly given an instruction to focus on defensive pressure this week & was f'n BRILLIANT in that regard. Anyone saying otherwise could not have been at the game watching him closely. Unfortunately his kicking yips are now officially worse than Nick Riewoldt's ever were, but it's bearable whilst his team-oriented effort is there. His attitude was so good today i felt compelled to scream at him going down the race at half time, letting him know how fantastic his workrate was.

3 ins - all contributed well, must keep in. Does anyone else see the Pendelbury-style movement from Harper? It's uncanny.

Workrate was fantastic. It's funny how a 'slow' team can suddenly appear pretty slick when they run & move the ball quicker. The entire midfield was great today, blocked & worked for eachother really well.

JZ / Cunners sub combo - someone else also called it Thursday night & it was a winner. Both solid, a good improvement, small steps is ok.

Goldy / Narni - Both back today. Best game i've seen Golda play, including when he kicked 5.

Derwayne Russell. I watched the replay very early this morning when i got home & was absolutely amazed by the complete lack of negativity towards us from Derwayne. Someone simply MUST have spoken to him about his throwaway lines in commentary about low crowds etc. Not only did he mention the crowd of 16,000 several times, he did so each & every time in glowing tones, not once suggesting it was a small or disappointing one. He even mentioned several time how fantastic the atmosphere was & how the fans 'have turned out'. It was very weird & i'm so used to the snide cowro-style remarks that i'm a little wary as to why the sudden change, but kudos to him for getting through the game snipe-free anyway.

Negatives

My inevitable frustration when LT plays his next game without the same endeavour he gave today. He's now set the bar at a level we'll expect week in week out, PLEASE keep it up LT.

Lachie's head / butter tingers. Hope he's ok. He presented quite well today but a great forward would have taken another 5 marks. Yes he took a couple of corkers but he had his man cold on a number of other occasions but the pill went straight through his hands. CHB is still an option, not yet though.

I thought Rawlings was ok today but he did dish up his usual few stinkers & as LB2Snake pointed out, he is being isolated in our kick ins. For those who haven't noticed yet, pay attention next game & watch how the opposition leave an open space in their zone in whichever pocket Rawlings is in. They let him receive the cheapie, then close in hard once he's got posession.

Scotty T - Reckon he had 4-5 kicked on him today. Seems to struggle with smaller types for speed on the lead (Ebert) & anyone over 6'3" for strength ATM. Not sure where he's at, a olid win by a big margin mask some serious worries down back for Scotty. I think it's time Pedo had a crack down back.

Goal kicking - WTF? LT is now 1 from his last 19 or 20 & we kicked another 25 points. The snap shots are not so much the worry as our set shots. Any team that has 2 of their main goalkickers as flaky in front of goal as ours are always gonna be handicapped. The good news is Trav Cloke & Nick Freewoldt were similarly fragile & have improved out of sight.

We should have won by 120.

Port - they are bloody woeful.

Cheer squad flog

Umpiring in ruck contests - WTF makes the umpires give Roger Ramjet so many free kicks? Everyone was confused on several occasions yesterday.

I've not really seen it mentioned, in light of the dominance from Goldy and the spectacular debut/newbie performances but... Wells was sublime yesterday. He is slow burning and is a week or so away from winning a match off his own performance.

Positive - 11 players with less than 50 games. Couldnt help notice people pumping up Adelaide last night because they had 11-12 players with less than 50 games. Everything else has been mentioned aready.

Negative - Defenders still looked shaky.. got better as the game went on. Skills need to improve or a better side ie Geelong next week... will punish us. We should have put Port away in the first quarter... we dominated!

Question - Where/who did JMac play on? His skills was good.. but already new that. Did he shut down his man?

A good observation.

But Obstacle tells me he isn't a midfielder.

:confused:

But Obstacle tells me he isn't a midfielder.

:confused:

Not at the moment, he isn't.

He still did most of his damaging work in space yesterday.

Jack is a Pykie favorite, and whilst Pykie is certainly a good poster, his real expertise is in draftee analysis.

BTW, I don't remember hearing much from you when he wasn't getting a kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives & Negatives vs Port Badelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back