Think Tank Post-COVID AFL: Are fans choosing to watch from home more?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
According to some social commentators, certain habits that were formed during the shutdown era of this pandemic will be hard to shake or could be permanent. Perhaps we learned we can do more things remotely, without losing anything, and will be reluctant to go back to the archaic old ways. This is potentially the challenge facing AFL at the moment. We've already seen a similar situation emerge at the movies, with in-home streaming proving just as good and twice as convenient during the pandemic, and more workers have realised they can do a lot of their job from home. The shutdown seems to have accelerated the shift to more effective use of remote technology.

Is this also the reason for the crowds falling in the AFL? Despite a year without crowds in Melbourne, there hasn't been a bump in attendances upon their return.

We can't blame the reduced capacity anymore.

Carlton and Collingwood only drew 50 thousand from a capacity of 75.
Hawthorn and Richmond only 41 thousand from a capacity of 75.
Gold Coast North Melbourne - 6661, although I think this is business as usual.

I've heard a few people say they're just going to watch from home now, that the technology is better, meaning you don't have to be at the actual game anymore. This could be another factor for why people aren't going to the football.

It's an exciting time to be alive, and if this trend continues perhaps we'll see Melbourne teams, without the lure of big crowds, go back to their individual home grounds, and stream to members.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

20,070 at the Cheat Ground against the Preliminary finalists. I guess they have internet in Geelong now too.
They are probably still huddling around bin fires, warding off the bad ether and waiting for the plague doctors to come treat them down there.

Personally, the cost of tickets, food, drinks, transport and merchandise makes it a costly day out. No value for moneyanymore.
Along with the new Ticketek system, which is ****ed in the face. Add to that, no ticket purchases at the gate.
A combination of the above has, in my view, led to declining crowds.
Hawfs fans setting the trend by refusing to turn up since 2017
They are in solidarity with their teams players.

• Banned
Wow. Death Trolling the Geelong fanbase who were heavily affected by COVID as they're so old.

Wow.

Thankfully our list of ageing stars escaped unscathed.

Lower crowds are nothing to be ashamed of. No need to throw pensioners under the bus.

AFLM is pretty dated and is aimed at Boomers who are all gradually hitting the nursing homes.

Bring back AFLX.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too bad for the Suns, most Queenslanders would rather stick forks in their eyes than go to the Gold Coast.

Should have picked the Sunny Coast if we wanted a crowd.

Last edited:
Lowest crowds since 1992, when teams were still playing at suburban ovals, and the Australian population was 17 million. These are positive signs for the progression of the AFL into a legitimate competition where each team can go back into their boutique home grounds and the rest of us watch it on TV and streaming.

Last edited:
Now you know how good we have had it, no line ups for food, beer and toilet.
:thumbsu::thumbsu:
More small crowds I say.
Right on the back of pioneering Friday nights & abstaining from pokies.... Norf the trendsetters!? :confusedv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back