Autopsy Post Match St Kilda v Carlton Rd 17 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice win last night.

Hope it's ok to add a review from my site. Not too many Saints supporters on our Facebook page... I'd like to change that. Cheers

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2018/7/14/st-kilda-v-ugly-the-good-bad-and-carlton

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good article, thank you.

Especially enjoyed the Cripps vs Steele argument which you wrote without being swayed by the big name. Cripps will be a great player, but Steele had an excellent night on him.

Just one point to remember regarding McKay’s acceleration away from Carlisle which sent Bruce went into raptures last - he was being chased by a guy coming off a punctured lung!

I agree with your Swan / Steven comparisons ( especially the running style). Worth noting that Swan also had a much better supporting cast around him.

Still, an enjoyable read....especially coming off a good win! Thanks.

You have to wonder where Carlton would be without Cripps. A 195cm midfielder, he would be good enough to be a key forward. Absolute beast of a man and an exceptional player. Would it be the first time a player wins the brownlow from the wooden spooners? Because he deserves it.

Good win from our lads, I reckon Marshall's tapwork isn't getting enough credit. Now admittedly he wasn't really against a fulltime ruckman, but he was excellent when I saw him ruck. We got so many goals from forward 50 stoppages, nearly all of who were rucked by Marshall.

He just offers so much more than Paddy. Second ruck problem solved, mobility, height, jumping. Only knock so far are goal kicking and tank, both of which can be improved. You can see why he's called the prospect.

Great to have win. Good team effort more than anything and could have been easily 80 points- we haven't got that killer instinct.
Most players did their bit's as required. Steele played well overall but gave Cripps a bit too much room, but Cripps is hard to beat.
Not so good were Gilbert who didn't really do much, and the sloppy foot skills of he and Geary not good. Weller not in it enough. Lonie gave good defensive pressure as a small forward. Gresh needs a word in the ear from the coach- you can't do flash things all the time.

What are the forums thoughts on Paddy after last night??

Mine are if he wasn't a pick 1 I couldn't care less tbh

Roma and Bruce are better for our style, score more, run more, mark more, hassle more..

No brainer for me
HF: Long - Battle - Billings
FF: Membrey - Marshall - Gresham

Has a lot to like about it...

You have to wonder where Carlton would be without Cripps. A 195cm midfielder, he would be good enough to be a key forward. Absolute beast of a man and an exceptional player. Would it be the first time a player wins the brownlow from the wooden spooners? Because he deserves it.

Good win from our lads, I reckon Marshall's tapwork isn't getting enough credit. Now admittedly he wasn't really against a fulltime ruckman, but he was excellent when I saw him ruck. We got so many goals from forward 50 stoppages, nearly all of who were rucked by Marshall.

He just offers so much more than Paddy. Second ruck problem solved, mobility, height, jumping. Only knock so far are goal kicking and tank, both of which can be improved. You can see why he's called the prospect.
Take out Cripps and Curnow and kick accurately at goal we win by 100+ last night

Dynamic, pressure, skills, x-factor, goals! Significantly exciting!
Wouldn’t at all surprise me to see us draft a ruck prospect with a later pick.

I like Lewy Pierce, but realistically he’s behind the 8 ball, and the deficiencies of both Hickster and Billy have been “discussed” ad nauseum.

I’d be super keen to entice Braydon Preuss to come to us if at all possible, but it’s significantly unlikely.

I’d want to see Roma back it up next week against the Tigers, but yeah he seems a good prospect, raw though. But in all fairness goalkicking and Tank aren’t exactly Paddy’s best attributes.

Roma and Bruce are better for our style, score more, run more, mark more, hassle more..

No brainer for me
Remember to put things into perspective. We played Carlton last night, who are well on track to have the worst season of any club since Fitzroy in 1996.

Not that it's an excuse for Paddy, but of the 13 games he's played this year 11 have been against sides in the 8 or just outside, with two against Gold Coast which he played quite well) and Brisbane. His conversion has been poor from 29 shots on goal, but he's getting in the right spaces. 3.0 or even 2.1 looks a lot better than 1.2 on the scoresheet. He has his flaws but I see him as an important part of our future, he's still building.

Marshall was very good last night but honestly hadn't shown that much previously. He's going to get more chances in the next couple of weeks with Paddy out so we'll wait and see how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t at all surprise me to see us draft a ruck prospect with a later pick.

I like Lewy Pierce, but realistically he’s behind the 8 ball, and the deficiencies of both Hickster and Billy have been “discussed” ad nauseum.

I’d be super keen to entice Braydon Preuss to come to us if at all possible, but it’s significantly unlikely.
BBL's I would like Preuss but being a contracted player , we don't have anything to trade for him , Lycett though is a Free agent

BBL's I would like Preuss but being a contracted player , we don't have anything to trade for him , Lycett though is a Free agent
Lycetts a free agent!? Upgrade on Hickey/Longer, allows us to trade them and get a better ruckman. Improves list. I’d do it. Really want Gaff, need to offer him a mammoth contract!! It’s our priority!

Last edited:
Lycetts a free agent!? Upgrade on Hickey/Longer, allows us to trade them and get a better ruckman. Improves list. I’d do it. Really want Gaff, need to offer him a mammoth contact!! It’s our priority!
*insert why not both gif*

No brainer for me
Yep I agree 100%. If Paddy fails as a number 1 pick but Marshall comes through as a rookie it kinda balances itself out.

Hickey/Marshall combo works so much better too.

Personally would have Marshall, Membrey & Battle as our talls, Bruce for depth/injury and see if we can trade Paddy. Love the kid but we don’t need him.

Edit: what Barrells said.

Some observations

Selection - Jack Steele is a mid. No further discussion required. Put Patrick Cripps (or someone with similar outputs) in our midfield and Jack Steven becomes unstoppable and we are finals bound. (Note to selection panel - how about trying No 8 there on a full time basis)

Recruiting - Patrick Cripps is a freak and proves that drafting is not an exact science. (He was overlooked by 7/8 clubs with full time paid recruiting staff and then the recruiting manager who eventually selected him was effectively sacked by his club a month after the draft!!!!)

Trading - Armo putting in some impressive performances before his return "home" to Queensland. (BTW "steak knives" Gilbo did alright on Curnow)

Genetic manipulation - Hickey + Longer = Max Gawn

Skill development Please please please let Ed Phillips be the first Australian born footballer to actually improve their field kicking after they've reached the AFL. Runs all day, get to the right positions good football brain.

Wish for the future
Rowan Marshalls outputs match his confidence levels

Old School Unfashionable GOP Come on down Bailey Rice
Hoping Phillips bad kicking has a lot to do with confidence- kicked it a lot better tonight than in his other games while will never be a Jimmy Webster

Roma is the full tomato. Nice safe hands. Roma, Battle and Membrey with Billing’s, Gresh, Long is a mouth watering line up. Stuv and Sinclair running through the forward line and it will be a real threat.

Paddy might have to play behind the ball to break into that forward setup.

I have a conspiracy theory. The boys all came back with clean cut haircuts after the bye. I reckon Richo got the clippers out and gave a few boys a haircut and told them to cut their new age branding and get militant about going hard at the man and ball.

Hoorah.

Remember to put things into perspective. We played Carlton last night, who are well on track to have the worst season of any club since Fitzroy in 1996.

Not that it's an excuse for Paddy, but of the 13 games he's played this year 11 have been against sides in the 8 or just outside, with two against Gold Coast which he played quite well) and Brisbane. His conversion has been poor from 29 shots on goal, but he's getting in the right spaces. 3.0 or even 2.1 looks a lot better than 1.2 on the scoresheet. He has his flaws but I see him as an important part of our future, he's still building.

Marshall was very good last night but honestly hadn't shown that much previously. He's going to get more chances in the next couple of weeks with Paddy out so we'll wait and see how he goes.
Paddy has played 13 games this year to Marshall’s 7. Marshall has him covered in most stats, they’re even on marks and Paddy averages .4 of a goal more. But for me there is 2 main reasons why Marshall should be in ahead of Paddy being that he chases & tackles, and he’s also good in the ruck. That means no more Acres in the ruck!
I hope Paddy makes it, but we can’t keep playing a guy that gets less than 10 disposals a game, less than a goal a game and less than 1 tackle a game.

I don’t susbcribe to this “Steele got taken to the cleaners early stuff” as at quarter time I’m pretty sure Cripps had 9 touches & Steele 8. Sure Cripps took a few marks, but that I part of the reason why Carlton suck balls. Cripps shouldn’t be needing to be a key marking target but they have to as they have so little in the way of real marking options. As for Steele, pretty much every time Cripps got the ball, Steele got the ball in the next passage of play we had. While Cripps dominated the contested ball, Steele was on his hammer the whole time & 6 of his registered tackles were on Cripps. Steele having 17 uncontested possessions showed me that Cripps plays for himself. No urgency or responsibility for the bloke to defend the bloke tagging him.

Last night was another example of what I’ve seen recently in Carlton games where the opposition really bring Cripps’ opponent into the game the other way because he only goes one way (attack) & knows one way (contested)

With all due respect, nobody is gonna sit and watch a whole 13 mins of some bloke sitting in his car reviewing the game, no matter how good his opinions and game analysis may be lol... take the time and edit a few highlights into it so it's more than just an oral presentation and the audience can enjoy some visuals.
Or go thé other way andake that your gimmick, call it Saints Match Review In Traffic and mix opinions with spiky road rage:

"Armitage willed himself to contest after contest and had more involvement than ever as a defensive mid... CHOSE A LANE, ANUS TART!!... Lonie grabbed his chance and did plenty for the team... GET OFF YA PHONE AND MOOOOVE, DICKHEAD!"

In these days of congestion, light builds and poor basics, watching Bubbles last night was a reminder of what's gone missing from afl. Hard and uncompromising with an excellent kick and footy brain is still worth more than "athletic ability". I have a feeling we will come to love Bailey as foundation stone / wrecking ball type. Hard bastards are not so easy to find anymore.

Can not believe he is only 21. Campaigner looks 40.

Seriously though Nang..

What qualities does Paddy have that Marshall doesn't?

I seriously do not see Paddy's upside

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Post Match St Kilda v Carlton Rd 17 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back