Potential GWS Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

I think GWS really need a couple of good defenders on their list. Who should they aiming for and who do you reckon they get? So far they have gotten Phil Davis but I don't think he could hold down the CHB post.

right.......

Davis is one of the best young defenders in the game, he can easily hold the CHB position down next year and the many years into the future at the Giants and most other clubs too actually

right.......

Davis is one of the best young defenders in the game, he can easily hold the CHB position down next year and the many years into the future at the Giants and most other clubs too actually

Maybe I am too much of a cynic. I just hope he doesn't get slaughtered in the early days. I rate him as a player but the kid needs support.

No doubt he needs support. I'm hopeful we'll get some established defenders in trade week and all that. But if his shoulders hold up, he could be the best CHB in the game in a few years time

Any interest in Dylan Addison for the small defender role Ausbacker is talking about? He's tough, young and uncompromising. Not overly quick and his disposal is average but he gives his all and tends to play as a small lock down defender. You only need to look at his good performances in finals to see that he's capable as a tough small defender. I believe he's been eclipsed by Picken and our desire to try blokes in our back 50 who can rebound and play the Harbrow. Further, our substantial list of inside players like Boyd, Cross, Liberatore, Wallis, and (past tense) Ward has made him redundant through the middle.

As a NSW boy he might also appreciate the chance to stay at home and prolong his career - he's a candidate for delisting this year. I'm sure he wouldn't cost much - I'd like a third rounder but a swap of third or fourth rounders is more likely and altogether reasonable.

Addison would cost peanuts but would provide a solid and tough body. Also, I'll be living in either Western Sydney or Canberra next year and DFA is one of my favorites so I wouldn't mind him getting another chance.

Might be a good fit?

Keep hearing Chad Cornes name thrown about.
Would be a good pick up for first couple of years while team is establishing itself- looked great when given a chance this year and fit as a fiddle with a big body

Any interest in Dylan Addison for the small defender role Ausbacker is talking about? He's tough, young and uncompromising. Not overly quick and his disposal is average but he gives his all and tends to play as a small lock down defender. You only need to look at his good performances in finals to see that he's capable as a tough small defender. I believe he's been eclipsed by Picken and our desire to try blokes in our back 50 who can rebound and play the Harbrow. Further, our substantial list of inside players like Boyd, Cross, Liberatore, Wallis, and (past tense) Ward has made him redundant through the middle.

As a NSW boy he might also appreciate the chance to stay at home and prolong his career - he's a candidate for delisting this year. I'm sure he wouldn't cost much - I'd like a third rounder but a swap of third or fourth rounders is more likely and altogether reasonable.

Addison would cost peanuts but would provide a solid and tough body. Also, I'll be living in either Western Sydney or Canberra next year and DFA is one of my favorites so I wouldn't mind him getting another chance.

Might be a good fit?

I always thought he would go to GWS. He probably will be picked up by them in the PSD

I always thought he would go to GWS. He probably will be picked up by them in the PSD

There's also a seemingly-fairly-solid rumour on the Bulldogs board that Sam Reid (tough inside mid with health, injury and disposal issues) might head to GWS as well. I'm not sure GWS would take three inside mids from the same club but there are strong reasons why either one or both would be good pick ups. I wouldn't mind Addison ending up at GWS as I'll get to see him play every second week without irrationally hating him ala Ward.

Davis will be in the top 2-3 CHBs within the next 3 years.

Would be ideal to have a couple of med-tall and quick HBFs and a very solid FB - a tarrant type FB. If the CHF and the FF can be shut down (Davis can do it and has shown he can do it, just need a FB who can do the same) then all GWS will need is a few med-tall size backmen to crumb and bring the ball out of defence quickly

Give Joel Tippett a 1 year deal and see what happens. Now delisted from the Suns and been in the system 3 or so years. Good big body, never going to be a prolific ball winner, but could possibly hold down a full back role or even just the 3rd big tall role down back. And he will be very cheap... Nothing to lose, possibly a good backman to gain?

whats everybodys thoughts on dylan addison of the bulldogs number 22. Hardnut defender played over 60 games - worth a crack I feel? Western Sydney boy too!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right about Dylan Addison, he is bound for GWS. What is the speculation on Brian Lake. Could he make the shock switch to GWS? What about some one like an Antonio Grover or a Beau Wilkes. They need a hardened body to protect Davis.

Would you guys go Matty Warnock from MFC? I know it may depend on the TS thing, but for a trade - he's said he wants out. Not a bad fullback to be honest, does fantastically on a Brown/Hall gorilla FF type but his disposal is questionable.

Phil Davis will be an AA CHB and he's ready NOW. Towelled up some seriously good AFL talent for up and has the highest footy IQ I've seen.

I hate you guys.

Farmer(pocket) and Gourdis(full back) from the Tigers would cost next to nothing and be servicable for a few years?

Farmer(pocket) and Gourdis(full back) from the Tigers would cost next to nothing and be servicable for a few years?
Both are below average AFL players and wouldn't offer the Giants much. They'd be able to get decent AFL players for middle rung picks if so.

GWS should snoop around Alan Toovey if his negotiations stall with Collingwood.

If the Cornes rumors are true I'd expect most his time would be down back.

Depends how his body is? You might get an extra half dozen games out of him by playing in the "less strenuous" fwd line, maybe in a fwd pocket as the tall option... And leave Falou as the lead up option? Really depends who you end up recruiting and whats best for team balance.

Haven't been around much at all this year & haven't seen a lot of local footy, GWS included.

What's the story with local blokes, have you lot used spiteri, dimmery or johnston from ECE, all premiership players at a young age & all mids who can play back & forward, what about barton from Uni he is a west Sydney junior & moves pretty well from what I've seen, did he get much of a crack? The other bloke who I like at uni is Lewington how was he this year did he play with GWS? what about C'town, riff, ECE, Parra etc 18' did you use many of them?

I had a look on the swans site & a load of top ups in the team, suppose having a senior team plus a 2' gives them more scope than GWS, maybe GWS should of played their 1st in the VFL (as the Suns did) & their 2nds (with top ups) in the NEAFL, to late now though.

So who did you use & how did they go? and will any get listed?

Sam Reid- Western Bulldogs originally from Zilmere in QLD.. Younger brother Ben has played with GWS this year in the NEAFL and has done well.. initially simply a 'top' up player for the list, but based on form could stay.. This could bring Sam into calculations a bit more heavily and wouldnt be suprised if the brothers Sam & Ben end up at the same club.I think the key is a balance between strong bodies/ experience and a few young 'guns'.. They need at least 1 player on each line that has been exposed to senior AFL and can serve a role for the team, the may need to sacrifice their game a little as well..

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential GWS Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back