Preview First Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday September 14, 7.40pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking with Toby and Daniels, with certain match ups they can go missing, it might be worth either throwing them in the midfield early to get some touches or use them in a role that helps the team, like a defensive forward role on zorko. So even if they're not winning their match up, they are helping the team nullify the opposition's most dangerous players.

Wouldn’t read too much into how they’re named on the team sheet.

I expect Coniglio will play more of a small forward role (McMullin’s spot) and less time in the middle given his shoulder problems.
But if you swap cogs for cumming in f50 then you still need another mid to rotate forward because cogs was already doing that with muff in the side and now he has been dropped

But if you swap cogs for cumming in f50 then you still need another mid to rotate forward because cogs was already doing that with muff in the side and now he has been dropped
Peatling will be the one to do that. We've used him forward a few times this year when we've been at full strength in the midfield.

Hey guys, a mate of mine has 2x semi finals tickets to the game, unfortunately he can’t attend. The seats are row A section 208 at the engie stadium. Dm for more info. Tickets will be transferred at cost price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello giants fans

I am no Dlanod but i do find the giants quite likeable so come in peace etc

Shameless info question - is the Members stand going to be all giants? I opted for freebie tickets off a contact rather than pay so didn’t have a choice where haha

As for the game!

Briggs seems to slightly favour the shoulder but fit enough? I think oscar really struggles getting double teamed so the 2 rucks could be a big asset.

Payne on Hogan - it’s a risk. Shows how much we fear him i think. Payne was excellent in the first half so if he is fit i think he’s a big in vs last time. Harris was all at sea last time half worrying about Hogan too.

Greene worries me. All these headlines about his poor game, and lowest ever tally of possessions vs starcevich last time. Green will be fired up! Starce is in career best form but he’ll need to be.

Bedford to Neale but who to Zorko? I’m assuming he gets a very tight tag. Nobody else does what he does for us; Wilmot gives us good drive but Zorko just moves it on so quickly and fearlessly.

Midfield battle always goes a long way to deciding a game, but i think we need to win it to win, whereas you can probably be slightly down but still win the game through transition from half back / run and carry / players who kick straight! Our dark horse in there is Ashcroft, really getting back to form and thrived in the first final.

I think the challenge for us is we play kick mark and we are coming up against a team absolutely built for finals. Kingsley such a good coach too.

May the winner knock off the cats ;)

Shameless info question - is the Members stand going to be all giants? I opted for freebie tickets off a contact rather than pay so didn’t have a choice where haha
Members Stand seems to have been allocated to the Lions, based off those of us getting tickets through GWS ending up across the field from our normal seats.

I was thinking with Toby and Daniels, with certain match ups they can go missing, it might be worth either throwing them in the midfield early to get some touches or use them in a role that helps the team, like a defensive forward role on zorko. So even if they're not winning their match up, they are helping the team nullify the opposition's most dangerous players.
With my Lions hat on, Daniels in the midfield really scares me. We have no real matchup for his speed and agility. We've already seen what he can do in the midfield when given real time there, and he could easily do it against the Lions too if Neale isn't getting first hands to the ball because of Bedford.

Members Stand seems to have been allocated to the Lions, based off those of us getting tickets through GWS ending up across the field from our normal seats.
There were Giants sections appearing for me for the 428 and 429 sections in upper members.

I also got a few at the bottom (225L and 225R from memory, cannot recall the others that appeared but there were a couple more). I ended up opting for upper members.

Might be some Lions sections either side of those I reckon.

Last edited:
The seats I got are all in section 430. Though I had to select the most expensive bracket of tickets to get there ($101).
Glad to know section 430 is a Giants bay!

I am sitting in 429 adjacent to section 430. Paid the same also.

At the Swans game I was adjacent to the Swans section but would rather be in the thick of Giants sections :D

At the Swans game I was adjacent to the Swans section but would rather be in the thick of Giants sections :D
all the tier 1 were gone by the time I got tickets at 10.30, Im in 406, which were the $80 tickets

At the 2016 PF at the stadium, they alternated bays between the supporters of each club. Wasn't 100% a solid block of supporters in each bay, but seemed to be the effect they were trying to get.

Can remember X playing defensive forward role earlier in the year on Tom Stewart, might be the go here
that is far more likely than Ash.
Perhaps why he got the role over McMullin.
Peatling could play a defensive role as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview First Semi-Final – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday September 14, 7.40pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back