Pozzo's analysis on AFL club supporters!

Remove this Banner Ad

pozzo

Senior List
Sep 13, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Pozzo's Analysis on supporter of the AFL clubs.

ADELAIDE
Being Victorian, I don't interact with too many Adelaide supporters, but the stereotypical crow supporter is of the loud, cocky type. I gather they live up to the expectations, especially after hearing about the urine being thrown last year! :eek:
Ethnicity: No dominant race.
Supporter Base: Large
Dislikes: Port Adelaide, Collingwood.

BRISBANE
Most of them are probably new too the game as rugby has been the dominant sport up north. In this case the supporters haven't really gained any real stereotype.
Ethnicity: No dominant race.
Supporter Base: Medium but growing.
Dislikes: Essendon, Collingwood.

CARLTON
The stereotypical Blue boy is usually the powerful, wealthy Italian. Carlton are the side that attract the richest supporters, and unlike Collingwood, the Blues never really have relied on memberships, but more the wealth of the supporters to keep them alive.
Ethnicity: Italian, Greek.
Dislikes: Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond.

COLLINGWOOD
The Magpies brag probably the largest supporter base in the AFL. Most of the time they lead the memberships, and make continuous profits. The stereotypical supporter is the roughneck, bogan bum. The kind with no teeth :p as people would usually say.
Ethnicity: Macedonian, Italian.
Dislikes: Essendon, Carlton, Brisbane, Port Adelaide.

ESSENDON
Known as being very one-eyed. The bomber fans do little to ruin that stereotype as well as it is probably one of the most annoying things in life to talk footy with one of them while they breath success. Another team with a very large supporter base.
Ethnicity: Italian, Lebanese, Maltese.
Dislikes: Carlton, Brisbane, Collingwood.

FREMANTLE
Once again, this is a team that hasn't been in the AFL for too long, let alone had much success during the period in the competition and the supporters are yet to earn a stereotype.
Ethnicity: No dominating race.
Supporter Base: Medium.
Dislikes: West Coast.

GEELONG
These supporters are known for loving to drink, a stereotype well earned from the amount of beer cans left after a game at Kardinia Park. A medium supporter base, but gradually decreasing as Geelong have not seen success in a long while.
Supporter Base: Medium but decreasing.
Dislikes: Melbourne.

HAWTHORN
A supporter base that grew considerably in the 90s (they even had a low base in the 70s and 80s). Hawthorn fans have not earned too much of a stereotype.
Ethnicity: Asian.
Dislikes: Essendon, Carlton.

KANGAROOS
Although the lack of members through the life of North Melbourne up until now, Kangaroos supporters are not too hard to find. Much of the supporter base are not very wealthy (by this I mean they do not have many rich supporters, not that all kangaroos supporter are poor).
Supporter Base: Low.
Dislikes: No real hate.

MELBOURNE
A team with quite large communities of supporters, but never too popular with memberships. The supporters are very pessimistic, and rather dislike a lot of things that go on at the club, especially when there is no success.
Ethnicity: Jewish.
Supporter Base: Medium but decreasing.
Dislikes: Essendon, Richmond.

PORT ADELAIDE
Although they are a new side, their tradition of true louts of supporters will always be what they are known for (they were the Collingwood of the SANFL). Have easily become an interstate version of Collingwood, being easily unliked among other clubs.
Dislikes: Collingwood, Adelaide, Essendon.

RICHMOND
They are said to be the most passionate supporters, and they are... at the start of the season. The most pessimistic team in the world, and knives are always at everyone involved's throats. You will find when they do lose however, most of the time it is because of bad umpiring :rolleyes: . Towards the end of an unsuccessful season however, they will be quite an endangered species.
Dislikes: Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne.

ST. KILDA
These kind of supporters are hard to find, but have a large supporter base for the amount of them there are. Being the most unsuccessful Victorian club still around, it would be hard to have a large supporter base. Still very passionate however.
Dislikes: No real dislikes.

SYDNEY SWANS
Another kind of supporter hard to find, even in Sydney. Unlike Brisbane, Sydney residents have no reason to follow the Swans just yet who haven't really had much success.
Dislikes: No real dislikes.

WEST COAST
The most popular of the West. Being successful in the 90s, West Australians developed a passion for them early in their career.
Supporter Base: Large.
Dislikes: Fremantle, Hawthorn.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
As you hear very often, this team is the poorest, one of the most unsuccessful and one of the lowest supporter bases in the AFL. A supporter base targeted for the western suburbs of Victoria who mostly have better things to do than go to the football... like shoot up :rolleyes: .

Re: Re: Pozzo's analysis on AFL club supporters!

Originally posted by Ausgard
You're kidding me arn't you

The Hate I have for the Big 4 Victorian Clubs is quite real thank you very much.

And if we were to narrow it down to one Club that North supporters love to beat it would be ESSENDON!

Originally posted by pozzo

WESTERN BULLDOGS
As you hear very often, this team is the poorest, one of the most unsuccessful and one of the lowest supporter bases in the AFL. A supporter base targeted for the western suburbs of Victoria who mostly have better things to do than go to the football... like shoot up :rolleyes: .

As a proud, passionate Bulldogs supporter, I take offence to this, Pozzo. Perhaps you're too young to remember the passion involved in '89, when Bulldog supporters united to keep our team in the competition.

I'd be interested to know who you support, Pozzo

ESSENDON
Known as being very one-eyed. The bomber fans do little to ruin that stereotype as well as it is probably one of the most annoying things in life to talk footy with one of them while they breath success.

It kills you that we are going to get to 17 premiership's first doesnt it.

Ethnicity: Italian, Lebanese, Maltese.

You could add croatian and irish in there as well as a dozen other nationalities.

Huge is more like it:D

Dislikes: Carlton, Brisbane, Collingwood.

Brisbane, Port, Richmond, North, West Coast, Sydney can be added to that list.

Oh dear. First things first. Ausgard, maybe YOU do not like them teams too much, and maybe a lot of other supporters dont either, but the fact is there is not a huge rivalry between supporters. If it was like what your considering, collingwood would be first under every team.

dogman22, sorry bout insulting you, but i did not say dogs supporters were not passionate, just they do not have a large suppporter base.
marcuz, about the ethnicity thing, there r more cros in carlton neway, but its the most dominant ethnic communities that i did.
and marcuz, we'll be gettin 16 more before you get your 17th :p

thank you ppl, hope u enjoy this thread!:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by pazza
Pozzo, given Sheeds has said Essendon is like the United Nations of the AFL..I'll take offence at the ethnicity statement.

why tho? as i told marcuz, its the dominating ethnic communities that i wrote in there. Look, i can guarantee a lot of greeks, serbs, cros and many more barrack for essendon, but as i told you, and i quote, its the dominating ethnic communities.

why tho? as i told marcuz, its the dominating ethnic communities that i wrote in there. Look, i can guarantee a lot of greeks, serbs, cros and many more barrack for essendon, but as i told you, and i quote, its the dominating ethnic communities.

From where you are sitting.

Have a good look at Essendon's playing list...there really isn't a dominating ethnic community at Essendon..everyone is welcome and is truly represented.

Originally posted by pazza
From where you are sitting.

Have a good look at Essendon's playing list...there really isn't a dominating ethnic community at Essendon..everyone is welcome and is truly represented.

i didnt mean it like that either! its not like australian soccer, no1 brings flags to football n thats good. i meant the dominating ethnic communities that follow the team!!!! ARRRRGGGHHH

WESTERN BULLDOGS

I don't know why i am even bothering to respond to such crap. But, alas, i could not let it slide without making comment.

There is actually a reasonable supporter base that does not come from the western suburbs and nor do a lot of our supporters dabble in narcotics that you are referring to. If you have statistical analysis that you base your comments on please share them with us and we will forever be quiet. But of course you will have no such evidence and thus you are making an arse of yourself. Why not find out who the real supporters are rather than come up with the biggest load of bollocks that i have ever come across.

RICHMOND
They are said to be the most passionate supporters, and they are... at the start of the season. The most pessimistic team in the world, and knives are always at everyone involved's throats. You will find when they do lose however, most of the time it is because of bad umpiring :rolleyes: . Towards the end of an unsuccessful season however, they will be quite an endangered species.
Dislikes: Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne.

While we are extremely passionate, often having the knives out and tend to give up in disgust towards the end of the season, we never lay the bulk of the blame on the umpires.

Nope, it is usually Joel Bowden's fault! :D

Pozzo, You forgot the last part of the bulldogs, so here it is

Supporter Base: Small but extremely passionate
Dislikes: Carlton, Richmond, Brisbane (well I don't like em much)

Oh and by the way I dont live in the West but I still love the dogs...

ST. KILDA
These kind of supporters are hard to find, but have a large supporter base for the amount of them there are.

What does this even mean?

And also, where are you getting your information regarding the ethnicity of supporters?

Re: Re: Pozzo's analysis on AFL club supporters!

Originally posted by whythelongface
I don't know why i am even bothering to respond to such crap. But, alas, i could not let it slide without making comment.

There is actually a reasonable supporter base that does not come from the western suburbs and nor do a lot of our supporters dabble in narcotics that you are referring to. If you have statistical analysis that you base your comments on please share them with us and we will forever be quiet. But of course you will have no such evidence and thus you are making an arse of yourself. Why not find out who the real supporters are rather than come up with the biggest load of bollocks that i have ever come across.

wasting your time. dont read it then.

dunno why everyone is gettin so cut up and defensive about this post. it is nothing more than mere stereotypes of the supporters of afl clubs, that were probably given days back when football was at its peak.

so far, in a thread i thought would be quite enjoyable, and one i enjoyed writing, i have not had one positive reply.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pozzo's analysis on AFL club supporters!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back