Training Pre-season updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to it too. Hoping to get down to their one and only game in Adelaide - not til Round 7 though. Although looking at the fixture, I may also be able to get down to the game against Gold Coast at the Swinburne Centre, as I’ll be in Melbourne that weekend for the AFL Grand Final. I’ve yet to see them play live, so another steep learning curve begins.

Its team photo day.

The girls have been on a pre-season camp, been in training since June -- we are about 5 weeks out from the season, should we be concerned that Sheridan is still isn't in the country yet?..

Depends on the reason she is still to arrive.

Depends on the reason she is still to arrive.
Yeah.
And I suppose its not the first time the irish girls have started pre-season late. I think in the first few years, they didnt arrive until a few weeks prior to round 1.

Yeah.
And I suppose its not the first time the irish girls have started pre-season late. I think in the first few years, they didnt arrive until a few weeks prior to round 1.

Could well be still doing all the running and general fitness work, might even have someone helping her with some kicking and general footy touch work. Time will tell. The longer she remains away, the more likely her start to the season being delayed becomes.

COLLINGWOOD skipper Brianna Davey is on track to play in the season opener against Sydney despite battling an ankle injury during the pre-season.

Davey has spent time in a moonboot this winter and on Thursday completed a training block indoors at the AIA Centre before supporting her teammates from the sidelines.
The 29-year-old was still an active participant despite her limitations, helping direct traffic from the boundary during drills and providing encouragement during breaks.

Davey also had ankle issues last year, carrying the injury through chunks of the season.

The club confirmed she is still "on track" to play the Swans in round one, a Friday night match on August 30 at North Sydney Oval.

After an injury-hit 2023 that included just two games due to foot and knee issues, dual All-Australian Ruby Schleicher looked particularly sharp in defence alongside veteran Stacey Livingstone, with the pair entering their ninth AFLW seasons.

Jordyn Allen looks to have had a strong pre-season and was pushing up well on the wing, while Brit Bonnici was carving a path through the middle of the ground.

Small forward Grace Campbell was limited in her training and only ran some laps, while Lucy Cronin and Charlotte Blair were in non-contact vests.
Fellow draftee Georgia Clark was firmly ensconced in the forward line with a spot in attack now on offer after Nell Morris-Dalton was ruled out for the season due to a back injury.

Irish rookie Muireen Atkinson (pronounced "Merr-n") is set to line up in defence in her debut season and showed a clean set of hands, while former Blue Annie Lee will join her in the backline.

Recruit Kalinda Howarth is only an outside chance to be seen in the early rounds of the season after the ex-Gold Coast Sun had an arthroscope on her reconstructed knee, but she has since been flying through her rehab.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Pre-season updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back