Prediction - Gold Coast Suns will fold by end of 2022 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

to think some thought they would finally make the 8 this year or be in contention at least

now a chance for another wooden spoon

they just cant create a good culture up there and theres not much you can do to turn it around quickly
Yep the afl commission were genius bringing two expansion clubs in so close together should have been gws and Tasmania the suns were no were near ready enter when they did

So the AFL should invest $1 billion in GCS and GWS over 3 decades before deciding if its a failure ?
If that makes them upwards of 1.1b over the same decade, yes. Truth is it will make them more than 1.1b easily

If that makes them upwards of 1.1b over the same decade, yes. Truth is it will make them more than 1.1b easily

Rubbish. The 9th game on Foxtel is not going to generate that much money and teams lose money on gate takings playing GCS.

If it was actually profitable the AFL would be seriously looking at adding 2 more teams. We are far more likely to go back to 16 than up to 20.

AFL have to step in, force each club to give one player between the age of 24-28 with at least 100 games experience in exchange for non GC draft picks.

Players don't want to go? Tough, each club and their players need to sought it out themselves or receive draft penalties.
We already give them a player or two every year as it is! I supposed they can have Caddy back :p

So the AFL should invest $1 billion in GCS and GWS over 3 decades before deciding if its a failure ?
Well thats how sydney and brisbane worked wasnt it? took them a loooooing time. If you were in charge they would have been shitcanned after not being immediately successful.

and remembering that that cash is offset by higher revenue from tv rights.

Last edited:
Yep the afl commission were genius bringing two expansion clubs in so close together should have been gws and Tasmania the suns were no were near ready enter when they did
Yep should have waited a bit before bringing in gws

And by bringing in gws this has also put extra pressure on GC as a direct comparison

1 has made a grand final the other has not even made 1 final

It’s commonly accepted that the 2018 draft was a super draft. The Gold Coast were perfectly positioned to benefit from it with a low finishing position combined with their captain and vice captain walking out on the club.

They drafted Lukosious, Rankine and King.

All signed extended contracts above their initial 2 years, with the club seemingly heading in the right direction.

If these 3 leave next year, it will be a devastating blow to the club and be telling about their onfield prospects over the next few years.

This is a club that gave up pick 2 for Weller, a sign of desperation not really seen before.

Massive changes needed at the Suns are needed and the sooner the better.

Yeah i think that will force them to move on dew pretty quickly. They won't want to go into the last year of those players contracts with another potentially shit year with dew at the helm.

Well thats how sydney and brisbane worked wasnt it? took them a loooooing time. If you were in charge they would have been shitcanned after not being immediately successful.

Sydney and Brisbane were 'legitimised' with mergers/relocations from Melbourne based teams and are also significantly larger cities.

GC has failed like every other sports franchise setting up a shop there. The VFL have to admit it this was a failed experiment for something to happen here so most likely nothing will change.

It’s commonly accepted that the 2018 draft was a super draft. The Gold Coast were perfectly positioned to benefit from it with a low finishing position combined with their captain and vice captain walking out on the club.

All signed extended contracts above their initial 2 years, with the club seemingly heading in the right direction.

If these 3 leave next year, it will be a devastating blow to the club and be telling about their onfield prospects over the next few years.

This is a club that gave up pick 2 for Weller, a sign of desperation not really seen before.

There's no indication, other than wishful thinking by fans in Victoria and South Australia, that they would leave. Rowell and Anderson won't leave.

Am I the only one who thinks they're heading in the right direction here? I think people forget how awful they were. They're not a run away success this year but they ran out with 6 players over 100 games last week. North had 5 in their named back 6 alone. I'm not sure what peoples expectations really are here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney and Brisbane were 'legitimised' with mergers/relocations from Melbourne based teams and are also significantly larger cities.

GC has failed like every other sports franchise setting up a shop there. The VFL have to admit it this was a failed experiment for something to happen here so most likely nothing will change.
Yeah well the northern kangaroos…..

I dont know about Brisbane but if we had received even just half of the concessions GCS have been given we would of been a powerhouse of the comp.

Instead we had to sell Carey/Longmire to North for 70k just so we didnt go under..

I dont know about Brisbane but if we had received even just half of the concessions GCS have been given we would of been a powerhouse of the comp.

Instead we had to sell Carey/Longmire to North for 70k just so we didnt go under..
Carey?

are you sure that wasnt part of the no dickheads policy?

t7-uumH1a6F1LQfjDqgBmEyco3hlNiupessAHPPS3of_knle6lGJPQXcB4q3TscUqzrSDWTY2LULohNlF4eYSQb61bo2OlO5HIIKtgzzwOMPmLxS5hZ1gzbe0R_N3IbxtRqd036C_KPqLxeMcg

16 appearances out of 18 finals series from 2001 to 2018.

Brisbane rebranded only with AFL owned intellectual property. Maybe the Gold Coast needs to rebrand, but they won't be going anywhere.

There's no indication, other than wishful thinking by fans in Victoria and South Australia, that they would leave. Rowell and Anderson won't leave.

Am I the only one who thinks they're heading in the right direction here? I think people forget how awful they were. They're not a run away success this year but they ran out with 6 players over 100 games last week. North had 5 in their named back 6 alone. I'm not sure what peoples expectations really are here
Yeah, re-building North were 1 year and 2 months older and had 29 more average game experience. Put Witts, Collins and Swallow into Suns line-up and the game would probably look different. When Witts and other rucks went down Suns depth was exposed and the season was essentially over. Suns have no fix for it. Yes, Smith is now back after PCL but he is even worse than before if that's possible. Extra forward/ruck in the off season (someone like CCJ) plus a decent KPD backup and Suns should be OK next year.

In 2019 (the same game length) the opposition scored 100+ points on Suns in 10 games (2 games 150+, 1 game 140+), 6 of them in last 7 rounds. This year so far 2 games 100+ despite the gigantic hole in the middle. Let's see how Suns go in the remaining 8 games :)

t7-uumH1a6F1LQfjDqgBmEyco3hlNiupessAHPPS3of_knle6lGJPQXcB4q3TscUqzrSDWTY2LULohNlF4eYSQb61bo2OlO5HIIKtgzzwOMPmLxS5hZ1gzbe0R_N3IbxtRqd036C_KPqLxeMcg

16 appearances out of 18 finals series from 2001 to 2018.

Yes 10% on top of every contract big deal Vic clubs already get that with Sponsorship and media opportunities like Jack Riewoldt working with Foxtel.

Only times we were a threat during that finals reign was 1996, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2012, 2014, 2016.

Rest of the years we were just making up the numbers.

All those players are improving, at least gold coast percentage is a fair bit better this year. Surely the players like king, Rowell, Anderson give it at least one more year before asking strongly to leave.

All those players are improving, at least gold coast percentage is a fair bit better this year. Surely the players like king, Rowell, Anderson give it at least one more year before asking strongly to leave.

Yeah I think most of the 2018 class are out of contract next year. The suns would want to improve by this time next year.

I look at Gold Coast's list and I don't think it is that bad. In fact I think there is a huge amount of promise in there.

I wonder how they would go with Ross Lyon at the helm. The worry is he would coach the creativity out of them but on the flip side Gold Coast desperately need a more disciplined gameplan that Lyon definitely provides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction - Gold Coast Suns will fold by end of 2022 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back