Game Day Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on you maroon bastards. You can do it.

PS. I still think you guys should not have delisted Todd Banfield.

Come on you maroon bastards. You can do it.

PS. I still think you guys should not have delisted Todd Banfield.
PS. I still think you shouldn’t have picked up Daniel Bradshaw.

So hopefully a nice swan dinner for our carnivore mascot next week.

For this week let's just put on our big cat pants and send the kitties meowing back to Kardinia Park to lick their wounds and dream they were us.

Hopefully everyone with flights there are no issues and can LIIIIIIOOOOOOONNNNSSSSS for our young men this evening 😎

GO LIONS!!!!!
GO LIONS!!!!!
GO LIONS!!!!!
GO LIONS!!!!!
GO LIONS!!!!!
GO LIONS!!!!!
GO LIONS!!!!!
GO LIONS!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we please play with a bit more nuance and common sense than Port did last night.

Can we please not spend the whole game booting it down Tom Stewart's throat like we did in 2022.

Can we please not let their forwards beat us back to goal too often.

Rain currently most likely to hit around 6pm - 30% chance.

Can it please stay dry!

I actually don’t mind being the second of the 2 games this weekend.

As others have said last nights game looked like a team who had been cooked mentally before the game even started after a big result last week.

I’m worried the same thing might happen to us, but at least we have evidence now of what can happen if a team isn’t switched on. I’m sure the coaches have spent the week trying to bring the players down & now have to get them up again.

The mental battle will be a big factor in the outcome, that’s before even considering how many blokes carrying niggles right now.

Interesting titbit in the afl.com.au article that we have averaged 60 points v Geelong in our last 8 encounters. Affected by the last very wet one - still that’s very low.

Given the fact Joe is our only in form key forward, and Geelong’s inclination to intercept mark via Guthrie and Stewart, the tactical key for us will be making sure we are not bombing it in too much.

I think this also places a greater emphasis on getting our kick-mark game going. Coming off just 60 uncontested marks v the giants. Our lowest of the year if you take out the wet slog against Geelong. We won the game but as much as I understand the short review of the game itself, i hope we did delve in to the extent to which we played the game on the giants’ terms.

My note of positivity - they have gone for a running team which could hurt us. But they don’t have a great option of Stanley is struggling now. One of those great physical Oscar games would be a massive bonus for us. I want to see him clattering in to Stanley, none of this stand next to him at the centre bounce. And please Oscar get in front at boundary throw ins!

It’s time for this midfield to deliver. They are all good players. They have disappeared before in finals. If Neale, Dunkley, clugga and ashcroft just have decent to good games that is all we need given their talent.

Thematically i liked Gerard Whately’s line. It’s time for the lions to win this game. It was a hurdle too far in the past. Now a win would show we have elevated ourselves as a team and have the belief for a premiership.

Given the fact Joe is our only in form key forward, and Geelong’s inclination to intercept mark via Guthrie and Stewart, the tactical key for us will be making sure we are not bombing it in too much.

I think this also places a greater emphasis on getting our kick-mark game going. Coming off just 60 uncontested marks v the giants. Our lowest of the year if you take out the wet slog against Geelong. We won the game but as much as I understand the short review of the game itself, i hope we did delve in to the extent to which we played the game on the giants’ terms.
Yep. Hopefully the additional width of the MCG allows us to possess the ball a bit more than we were able to last Saturday. In addition we need to employ a bit of overlap handball through the middle third of the ground. This will allow us to kick over the top of whatever spare/zone setup they have in place, and provide maximum opportunity for our small forwards to get dangerous on the deck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back