Review Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoyed Isaac Smith's body language for pretty much the entire clip and Big Turd's reaction at about five minutes in when Duncan was ran down.

It opened with King saying positive things about fagan. No over the top, but clearly addressing this weeks mess.

To argue the other side, he was critical at half time last week and instead of hand up taking the hit about being wrong he doubled down. We've all done it. Feels awesome when you get it right and makes an arse out of you when you are wrong.

Kings Fagan mess will deservedly follow him around non stop if we win next week. That's reward for us on its own.

Cracking article, particularly with Bez giving a crack to you know who

‘Want to do it for him’: Teary Lion vows to prove ‘haters’ wrong amid heartfelt defence of coach​

Caught up in the commotion nearby was soon-to-be Brisbane Lion, Levi Ashcroft — who, earlier on Saturday, tasted finals glory of his own.

The 17-year-old midfielder ran rampant to the tune of 27 disposals, seven inside-50s and three goals as the Sandringham Dragons triumphed for the third consecutive year in the Coates Talent League Grand Final.

The sight of players hugging their families was inescapable in the best way possible, and among them was unheralded midfielder Jarrod Berry and his partner who, too, were overcome with emotion — and not for the last time, as you’ll soon find out.

Berry was one of the last to join the circle of Lions to belt out their tune, and, not to be taken the wrong way, it was symbolic of his stature at the football club.

890247_640x360_large_20240921200425.jpg

Joe's amazing goal line act saves Lions | 00:30

The 26-year-old ball-winner isn’t the first name thought of in a star-studded Brisbane engine room, and he again played his typical unselfish role between the arcs, aiding the likes of dual Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale and stars Hugh McCluggage, Josh Dunkley, Cam Rayner and Will Ashcroft.

Berry’s stat-line read modestly, too: 20 disposals, 10 contested possessions, four clearances and four tackles.

This writer was fortunate enough to spend a couple of minutes with him in between deserved congratulations, and he explained the unique feeling of progressing this year compared to last time around.

“It is a different feeling, because we were top-four last year — we played two home finals and obviously that is an advantage, but to do it from fifth is so special, and I think it just proves how resilient our group is,” Berry told foxfooty.com.au.

“We lost a lot of guys to season-ending knee injuries, (but) we stuck fat as a group, it was all about us.

“The media — rightly or wrongly — were on our backs, but we’re back here, (and) I’m so proud of everyone.”

On whether it was a tougher road this time around considering the extra game played, Berry said it “depends how you look at it”.

“I also look at it as we’re match-hardened,” he said. “We’ve played games for the last month and we’re right ready to play contested finals footy.

“I don’t think (playing more games) is a disadvantage for us at all.”

890261_640x360_large_20240921214018.jpg

'Real pity' Fagan reveals GF heartbreak | 13:41

Asked for his thoughts on the season-long criticism placed at the feet of eight-year senior coach Chris Fagan, Berry didn’t mince his words.

“I won’t say what I want to say, but ... I don’t think it’s justified how they go after him,” Berry told foxfooty.com.auon Saturday night.

“They went after him when we were 0-6 (in 2018), they went after him recently, (but) it’s like, we’ve played finals for six years in a row.

“For a coach to be able to do that, to get his squad and his players up for season on season, put ourselves in a position to be in a finals series and get to Grand Finals, (it’s) just an absolute testament to how much we want to play for him.”

It was at this point that Berry had become teary-eyed, revealing the paternal connection he and his teammates have with the 63-year-old.

“He’s like our dad, to be honest,” he said.

“I just want to — more than anything — I just want to do it for him and show the haters that he’s a sensational people person, and he’s got all the boys right behind him.”

You couldn’t wipe the smile off Chris Fagan’s face post-match on Saturday night. Photo: Darrian Traynor/AFL Photos/via Getty Images.
You couldn’t wipe the smile off Chris Fagan’s face post-match on Saturday night. Photo: Darrian Traynor/AFL Photos/via Getty Images.Source: Getty Images

Fagan has preached trust in his brigade multiple times throughout this trying season, and Berry believes there’s an unbreakable bond between the playing group and their beloved coach.

“It just comes from years and years — like you spoke about, trust — and him giving us the reins of the club and backing us in and watching us mature and flourish all together,” Berry told foxfooty.com.au.

“That’s part of it, (and) I guess you look at guys like Cam (Rayner), Hugh (McCluggage), Eric (Hipwood) — these guys that all come in (to the club) together — and we’ve all stuck together, we’ve all signed on.

“It’d mean the world for us to finally crack the premiership.”

After the unspeakable heartbreak of 2023, the Brisbane Lions get their second chance next Saturday against the Sydney Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jumping on late after a few beers. One of the best nights ever at the footy. We've been a very good football team for a number of years but like many others i've been optimistic but had my doubts about the mentality of this team. Regardless of next weeks result those doubts are gone now. This team wants a premiership so badly and they will give everything they have to get it.

Shout out to Jarrod Berry, some plays from last years grand final would hurt him deep but he has been absolutely awesome this year and I bet every player in that locker room loves running out with him each week.

Dayne Zorko, one of the greatest players to ever pull the guernsey on for this football club and that's saying something considering some of the players we've had. I wish he could play forever.

UP THE LIONS!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Back