Review Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A highlight was Joe taking the mark on the line and not breaking a stride and running away.

No one knew where joe was running or what he was doing. Joe did not know where he was running or what he was doing
Joe is our Joe , we love him anyway .

Finally playing with freedom instead of locking up protecting leads
Actually I felt we did lock up a bit in the early stages of the last quarter. Geelong finally got their spare defender looking the way they wanted it, we had ours around the ball but didn't have the preparedness to overlap run to make proper use of it. This meant we ran out of options and on several occasions kicked it straight down the throat of their spare(s). Ultimately the thing that saved us and snapped us out of our early-last-quarter malaise was when Geelong leveled the scores at 70-70.

I'd like to think we would learn something from this and play the same way when we're in front as when we're behind. Particularly when the game opens up (both ways) due to fatigue in the 2nd half. Geelong were there for the taking coming out of 3 quarter time but I felt we lacked that killer instinct. The game could have been over long before Rhys Stanley hit the post inside the last 30 seconds.

Cats fans around us were super nice, all wished us to win next week. For a prelim so cutthroat, they were classy (At least my area).

Sitting near the Lions end for those Ah Chee and Rayner goals will be cherished forever. Can’t wait to watch the game back.
At the start of the game I was sitting next to a Cats fan. Front row, Q34. Anyway Geelong's first set shot of the game (kicking to our end), I booed, as per standard operating procedure.

Anyway this lady goes to me "Gee I'm glad you're not my 11 year old son. We teach him not to boo. It's not really very sportsmanlike is it?"

My response?

"I don't give a stuff!"

After booing their next set shot (which also missed), she shuffled along a couple of seats.

Goodbye 🙃

(Certainly not judging anyone who doesn't boo... I don't boo specific players whenever they get the ball... Couldn't quite work out why we were booing Tom Stewart all night for example. Set shots tho, open slather, don't care who it is, the lid comes right off!)

I cracked the shits when Bailey did that thing, I was furious
To be fair, unlike in the Collingwood game, I actually think he chose the best option on this occasion. Charlie was well marked ahead of the ball, Zac already had one man beaten, he beats Stewart and he has a clear shot at goal. It was just a bloody great tackle.

Shout out to Eric Hipwood. Clearly hampered and not at 100% - however, he was so important last night. Kicked a great goal and won some critical 50-50 contests and I think it was last qtr got across and spoilt a Geelong free player on the wing which then resulted in a throw in. Can hold his head high.
What about Zac Bailey's spoil out of bounds during the third quarter when he was isolated one on one inside Geelong's forward 50. Saved a certain goal. Never seen that from Zac before.

A big week for the boys
Flying back as soon as they could after the game
I assume flying down to Melbourne sometime Thursday.
GF parade, then the GF
Brownlow medal Monday

Somewhere in that timeframe some recovery and training
I wish the AFL would change the Brownlow to sometime in the preseason bye. That's unlikely though.
Must admit part of me still questions whether it was the right call to fly home after the game. Grand Final week is hectic enough as it is, without the additional impact of 4+ hours on a plane and probably more than 8 hours in total when you consider the associated logistics. Can't help but think it can only hinder their recovery.

On the flipside I acknowledge many players have family commitments etc.

I guess time will be the best judge of whether it was a good idea or not.

Think it's definitely a good decision to fly down on the Wednesday this year anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing not touched on here thus far is the amount of times in our defensive 50 we spoiled rather indiscriminately such that the ball went into the corridor. Happened a few times against the Giants as well. It just invites trouble and often enough in both games it cost us goals.

Anyway I know it's been identified because Zorks voluntarily brought it up in his weekly chat with Pat and Heals on SENQ on Monday morning, and these chats are hardly the cutting edge of footy strategy let me tell you.

Hopefully we are able to rectify our general positioning in aerial contests between now and Saturday, so that we are able to spoil boundary side when in defence.

Really positive I think that even though our back line was outstanding for most of the night on Saturday, as a club we've still been able to identify at least this area of potential improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Back