Preview Preliminary final - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide, MCG, 20 September 2014 @ 4.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
well all I can say is I hope we start hard and fast and not let the PA kers get to far ahead. its going to be a running game and I hope ol mate issac runs hard. I fell he has gone missing over the past few weeks , and when he goes missing so too does hilly.
GO HAWKS. .......is it saturday yet

well all I can say is I hope we start hard and fast and not let the PA kers get to far ahead. its going to be a running game and I hope ol mate issac runs hard. I fell he has gone missing over the past few weeks , and when he goes missing so too does hilly.
GO HAWKS. .......is it saturday yet
Smith had 27 and cut up the Cats two weeks ago, he is going ok,

I hope they know what theyre doing. Suckling doesnt seem hard at it enough to me. You know that with Sewell you will get aggression and a ever say die attack on the ball. I am not sure you can say the same about Suckling. Port Adelaide fwds are frenetic and attacking. Suckling looks like he's off on a Sunday stroll half the time. Then there is his shanked kicks. Will back the team in but this one has me a bit baffled.
Agree. Hope soft like butter Suckling will not cost us a GF. Although lot of people say he has a kick lately what I saw was all 30degree chips. If they really had to drop Sewell I would have prefered Litherland for sure given his run and kick. Really disappoint but in "Hawk team selectors" we trust.

il back in the MC - as they have said all along, its horses for courses....quick transition is what we are after and suckers can give us that...

lets be thankful that we have these selection dilemnas...one could easily forget our predicament during the season when we were a long way off this 22....

and also, much as i am disappointed, i think it is the right call with cyril...lets win it, to make sure he gets a run next week

Thinking along these lines; who will Power tag?
Cornes will go Mitchell I'd think,
Boak & Lewis head to head,
Then they have to consider, Smith, Hill, Birchall and now Suckling too.
Gibbo Stratts and Duryea are also good users.

Sheils and Langers will probably get jobs to do, I expect one to Polac and White.

I trust Clarko now has the boys capable of playing whatever style is needed against the opposition on the day.

McCartney was very impressed when we player his Doggies. He saw we wanted to win the contested ball as that is their strength. He knew we could beat them elsewhere and was surprised we just took over at the contest.

We can do it all, fast free flowing running footy, slice and dice foot skills and down and dirty coal-face.

Right call to omit Sewell for this game. No room for sentiment in footy, particularly in a cut-throat final. Port's mids are quick and that is one area where Sewelly is not blessed. Suckling needs to have an impact by getting a lot of the ball and using it well and/or drawing attention away from Birchall so that he can dominate.

Rioli should've been picked for mine. Match fit or not, he has an impact as soon as he steps in the field because the threat of him getting the ball or tackling is invaluable. Hopefully we win so that he can play in the big one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm amused at the calls for litherland over suckling.
People need to go back and watch his last couple of games and then acknowledge why he was dropped in the first place
Plus lithers did ok at Box Hill but didn't set the world on fire last week, certainly not good enough to get back in the side.

Actually he does. Quite a bit quicker than many realise.

Not only does he have more leg speed than some give him credit for but obviously not many out there have realized that when you kick the ball it travels faster than someone running with it?

What does Suckling do and do better than anyone on our list and just about the competition, kicks it flat and hard over distance to players in space.

So many people love Sewell because he is a tough inside player, everyone loves to hate Suckling because he is an outside player, simple as that.

Sewell's out put has been okay at best this year, he is about our 6th inside midfielder these days, we have too many ahead of him and although you can trust him to put his head over the ball what else will he bring on Saturday evening against a fit running team?

Thinking along these lines; who will Power tag?
Cornes will go Mitchell I'd think,
Boak & Lewis head to head,
Then they have to consider, Smith, Hill, Birchall and now Suckling too.
Gibbo Stratts and Duryea are also good users.

Sheils and Langers will probably get jobs to do, I expect one to Polac and White.

I trust Clarko now has the boys capable of playing whatever style is needed against the opposition on the day.

McCartney was very impressed when we player his Doggies. He saw we wanted to win the contested ball as that is their strength. He knew we could beat them elsewhere and was surprised we just took over at the contest.

We can do it all, fast free flowing running footy, slice and dice foot skills and down and dirty coal-face.

It's quite tough to predict matchups but my guess is...

Langford - Boak

While you could make the argument for either a Gray or Boak as Ports number 1 player Boak suits Langford better as we don't want him sitting in the backline on gray.

Kornes - Mitchell

Port's number 1 tagger would be considered for roles on Lewis or Mitchell but I think the Mitchell matchup suits Kornes better due to speed and more importantly marking.

Puopolo - Broadbent

While Puopolo could go to Hartlett, Hartlett plays up the ground better than Broadbent and getting Puopolo dragged out would be a loss to us.

Monfries - Burgoyne

I expect Monfries to try and harass Burgoyne all night to draw angry glares he can throw himself forward for.

Shiels - Polec

Both teams have real pace in the wing position and if Shiels can play defensive on Polec and offensive on the rebound it'll go a long way to securing a GF birth.

Harsh on Sewelly, not sure Suckers is the right fit but will be cheering him on Sat.

By is everyone Getting their knickers in a knot? It's a moot point IMO

Suckling will be the sub and Simpkin will come in to give us the extra run ...by the time suckers comes on we'll be 8 goals up ;)

Suckling has more upside, but similarly the most downside. Most of us here are focused here on his downside, but if he gets his kicking game going, and takes the game on running up the wing, then he offers a bit more than Sewell. Sewell would have been the safer option, so lets hope this works out.

On another note, has anyone ever considered the fact that Suckling and Duryea combined are the way we have replaced Goo? Duryea for the hard stuff, Suckling for the kicking game. Goo was such a handy player.

Suckling is just 120 minutes of good football away from possibly securing a spot in a side that will contest for a flag. If he's going to let that opportunity slip through his hands after sitting in the stands last year and playing most games this season then I don't know why he'd bother playing in the first place.

Saw Caro at Richmond station last year - almost barged people out of the way to give her a hug due to her being one of only a few last year who stuck it to Essendrugs relentlessly. Got a lot of time for Caro - is usually more accurate than most of the journos and cops double the shit because of vocal douchebags who find it confronting that a female knows more about footy than them.
What was her reaction to the hug?

Suckling has been selected for every game hes been fit for for the last 3 years. Why are people acting like hes just been picked out of the blue or that his place is in question ?

He played every game in 2012, did a knee and then played every game in 2014 until he hurt his knee again and now comes straight in back for a prelim. Hes an automatic selection, best 22 player whos numbers both this year and in 2012 are almost identical to both AA hbfs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back