Premiership Clock

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Collingwood is entering its Premiership window.

Hawthorn is at around 12:30-1.

Melbourne is eternally at 3 o'clock.

I understand the terms and logic behind the theory, but how often have these 'calculations' come to fruition?

Going back to 1993, and the 'Baby Bombers', they won a flag at around 10-11, and were 'expected' to boom shortly after. They didn't get back to the top until 7 years after.

Hawthorn, in 2008, were in a similiar situation and capitalised on their window with a couple a few years after.

Collingwood was primed for a similiar situation after 2010, and that didn't happen, with Buckley tuning the clock in 2013.

How often have sides been at 9-10 and naturally continued on to reach their window, and win the big dance?

Right now, you'd say that GWS and GC are at about 9-10, and everyone believes they're going to win 10 between them in the next decade. If either team can win one or two, it'll be classified a success, but at this stage, most people believe they're going to have a dynasty and clean up.

How accurate is that premiership clock?

I understand the terms and logic behind the theory, but how often have these 'calculations' come to fruition?

Going back to 1993, and the 'Baby Bombers', they won a flag at around 10-11, and were 'expected' to boom shortly after. They didn't get back to the top until 7 years after.

Hawthorn, in 2008, were in a similiar situation and capitalised on their window with a couple a few years after.

Collingwood was primed for a similiar situation after 2010, and that didn't happen, with Buckley tuning the clock in 2013.

How often have sides been at 9-10 and naturally continued on to reach their window, and win the big dance?

Right now, you'd say that GWS and GC are at about 9-10, and everyone believes they're going to win 10 between them in the next decade. If either team can win one or two, it'll be classified a success, but at this stage, most people believe they're going to have a dynasty and clean up.

If Collingwood are entering a premiership window then you need to get your clock fixed.

I think all of North Melbourne from coach to list management no longer believe in the premiership clock. They see FA as a game changer. I'm a little scared by this. What does BigFooty's collective wisdom think?

This 'clock' was a thing till Free Agency came about.

It's something shit teams that haven't had success in living memory trot out to their fans to keep them rocking up each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What effin drugs are you on talking about clocks and shit... What ****ing clock? Tick tick tick BOOM!that would be essendumbs clock!

If there is such a thing as a Premiership clock why is it that 4 sides have won the majority of flags since 2005?
Shouldn't those clicks move on out of Premiership contention by now 10 years later?

I think all of North Melbourne from coach to list management no longer believe in the premiership clock. They see FA as a game changer. I'm a little scared by this. What does BigFooty's collective wisdom think?

It's what you get when a short man puts on thick soled boots. A bunch of excuses and risk free meddling.

Needs more powerpoint. For the uninitiated like myself who only understand the 'premiership window' and aren't privvy to the 'clock'.

It's like we're constantly welcoming in the new year at Hawthorn.

itchyandscratchyland1_thumb.png

It's like we're constantly welcoming in the new year at Hawthorn.

itchyandscratchyland1_thumb.png

Ryan Schoenmakers: please kill me.

Clock not a very good analogy really... clocks all run at the same speed so the assumption is that if you just let time pass your chance will come around again soon enough, and that your time will also pass at roughly the same speed as someone elses. Not the case at all. Well managed clubs will get around the clock faster, making their premiership windows stay open longer, and have more success at actually getting premierships in that time. There's a reason why Hawthorn has won 11 premierships in the last 50 years and Melbourne hasn't won any, and the 'clock' metaphor just doesn't cut it.

The baby Bombers were the best team at the right time, like the Hawks in 2008. The Eagles of 1993 were suffering the premiership hangover (won in 92 & 94) and Geelong in 2008 were off their tucker on the day.

The Pies of 2010 didn't go on with it due to a poor management decision by the Board/Eddie, pure & simple they stuffed it as surely as the Bombers did after the 2000 premiership, with poor decisions on their playing list (need to pay Saint James $s meant they needed room in their salary cap so turfed out players).

Like anything its a guide, its subjective and reflects our attitude to those that are beaten on Grand Final day, they are forgotten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership Clock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back