Premiership Coach 2008 - now with pictures and stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested in hearing first impressions of the full game. I won't have time to play it this weekend due to footy being back but if people like it then I will probably buy it next week. I reckon I will end up getting it regardless just to show my support anyway.

Plus Ad is a North man and had a photo of Barrie Robran on the homepage. :heart:

The menus are very smooth and the features are impressive. Don't expect to get a Football Manager like match engine though. I can't really comment thoroughly on the results of the match engine (although I did see Adam Schneider get 37 marks but granted that was a beta version) but the 2D birds eye view of it needs a bit of work. The players seem to be often stuck to a grid. You'll see them running horizontally when they would normally run more directly to the goals or in an arc or something. I guess that's just one of the many difficulties you have in representing a game that's played on an oval.

One funny bug: Apparently I have an elligible player to draft as a father-son recruit. He's a tall forward playing for Gippsland: just what I need!

Unfortunately...he's only 1 year old.

I have a quick question. Does the game include the AFL's expansion with the Gold Coast and Western Sydney in the next couple of seasons?

I've been casually following the development of this game but I can't say that I've seen mention of this here or on their board.

No, those expansions aren't included in the game. That's fair enough because they would just be taking a guess at how the league will be in 4 years time and it's unlikely it'd be spot on.

By far the best AFL management game, great stuff guys. Personally i don't like FM, it's got too much detail and you end up taking weeks to actually play the matches, this has a good amount of detail but its not information overload. Gameday definitely needs a few tweaks though.

On another note, gotta wonder how jamie macmillan from the roos is gonna go being only 18cm tall.

Did have a few strange things happen in the game I played though:
1. Melbourne won
2. Chris Newman kicked 8 against me
3. Mitch Morton had 42 touches and 27 marks

Foley and Cousins also had 40+

Selection screen is frustrating. Needs to be drag and drop similar to FM rather than click player, click position.

Also, if you double-click when pointing on the down scroll arrow the player's profile card comes up rather than scrolling as ordered. Annoying.

Previous selected lineup should be available by default rather than having to always click 'load last lineup'. It's a minor detail but one you expect.

Preloaded list file has a few errors I've noticed straight off the bat playing as Port. Apart from positional snafus like Wade Thompson being listed as a small defender or questionable statistics like Dean Brogan having low numbers for aggression and leadership (wtf!), John Butcher, Matt Thomas and Matt Broadbent are all listed as #32. Jason Davenport and Warren Tredrea are both listed as #1, etc. Massive potential for bugs there, you'd think.

The Editor seems limited, I didn't notice anywhere I could edit/update club details or staff members, just players. Have I missed something or is a wider editor in the works?

It's clearly got potential, but as it stands I'm calling unplayable for the time being.

There's no doubt gonna be bugs and things that need to be fixed. Which all will happen in time. I'm just happy we got ourselves an extensive afl management game. I love FFX but this game has loads of potential and promise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a frustrating game to be honest with good potential to be a great game. Bit disappointing as I normally have to sim games because when I watch/manage the games on gameday we just play pretty average even if i do the right subs, tag the right people etc. My team in particular always kicks it backwards and side to side...in the forward 50 mainly and normally turn it over. I am freo so *insert freo lol sux jokez herez* but it shouldn't happen. I like it but def needs a few things to be changed.

Has so much potential but can't say I enjoy it too much at the moment, a lot of things could be improved. Kudos for the sheer amount of effort that's gone into it though, great stuff :thumbsu:

This game has loads of potential. Matchday has to be improved. I don't play matchday but i did yesterday and TBH i didn't really enjoy it. Next version will be twice as good. It is a good game and being a BETA tester from the start it has improved imenssly during the BETA process

This game has loads of potential. Matchday has to be improved. I don't play matchday but i did yesterday and TBH i didn't really enjoy it. Next version will be twice as good. It is a good game and being a BETA tester from the start it has improved imenssly during the BETA process
Have to agree with that. I've always found matchdays to be the weakest aspect of management games. I don't really want to sit and watch a game of little icons moving around.

The obvious "fix" would be to make some photorealistic 3D representation but that's obviously in a different league to a small software company just starting out. Heck, Football Manager has been around for years and only in its last 2 versions has it moved from 2D to 3D and even then it's far from what you'd see in EA Sports games.

I'm more than happy with the 2D icons in Football Manager. Sure, some tweaks are definitely needed in the new AFL game but there is a solid foundation.

I bought myself a copy on the weekend and whilst I have been too busy to give it a thorough play yet, its presentation does look rather professional.

The obvious "fix" would be to make some photorealistic 3D representation but that's obviously in a different league to a small software company just starting out. Heck, Football Manager has been around for years and only in its last 2 versions has it moved from 2D to 3D and even then it's far from what you'd see in EA Sports games.

I'm more than happy with the 2D icons in Football Manager. Sure, some tweaks are definitely needed in the new AFL game but there is a solid foundation.

I bought myself a copy on the weekend and whilst I have been too busy to give it a thorough play yet, its presentation does look rather professional.

There's no doubt that watching the games along with commentary isn't enjoyable, and that you can't tell who has the ball in a contested situation. But I still find the match day fun, tactics still have a huge effect on the game even though they can't be as obvious visibly, individual tactics and match ups are vital to win. And you will find if you are lazy with team game plans, you will get thumped more often than not.

Outside of match day the game is awesome and is easily worth the $40 spent on it, especially when the minor bugs/annoying parts are fixed in the next patch.

Can the game only be bought over the internet? I can't find where it can be bought in stores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership Coach 2008 - now with pictures and stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back