Training Preseason 2018

Who is the recruit you are most looking forward to seeing at family day?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

REH you mentioned earlier re players either should or are doing more x 400 running....actually may have been a reference to Bonner (stand to b e corrected). Does this then imply that players are better off doing 3x 1km trials v's 3km time trials.
IMHO x400 does provide the scope for speed and endurance?

Yes I said I know an Athletics SA coach who told a mate that we both know that Bonner was doing some 400m running sessions before preseason officially started and did the odd session during the season. He was a 400m runer at little athletics and high school. Talked about it in early October HERE and in that post if you read it I talk about the athletic profile of footballer changing from needing to be a good 800m/1500m runner in the early 2000's to that of a 400m runner. When we drafted Riley, Geoff Parker said he has a 400m and 800m background which is also the athletics background Next Generation Indigenous Academy player Kai Pudney has. Kai and Martin Frederick in June last year have been approved for talent concessions by the AFL, so if we think they are good enough to draft this November, we have first dibs.

Last year we did lots of 300m repeat sprints. I mentioned in the SpeedEndurance thread I started 3 years ago and put some basic info about that at this post

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...s-speedendurance.1085514/page-3#post-48245630

I believe its important that players have SpeedEndurance rather than speed and endurance. SpeedEndurance means maintain 90-95% maximum output for longer and repeated efforts. 400m runners are better at that than 3km time trial experts. You need a decent endurance base, but the game is more about speed bursts and repeated efforts. To me repeat 3 x 1km sprints makes more sense than 3km time trial results. We found in 2016 when rotations went from 120 to 90 that opposition players were going harder earlier and hanging on when we trained to out last them. The first 5 weeks showed that plan was incorrect then the injuries piled up to completely stuff up our season.

I've also said many time over the years on here, we should employ an athletics sprints coach as a consultant like we have used tackling expert John Donehue as a consultant to improve basic technique and fine tune players thru the season. Look at that video of Boak in Arizona for the sort of stuff I'm saying as well as stuff i posted in the SpeedEndurance thread.

Last edited:
Yes I said I know an Athletics SA coach who told a mate that we both know that Bonner was doing some 400m running sessions before preseason officially started and did the odd season during the season. He was a 400m runer at little athletics and high school. Talked about it in early October HERE and in that post if you read it I talk about the athletic profile of footballer changing from needing to be a good 800m/1500m runner in the early 2000's to that of a 400m runner. When we drafted Riley, Geoff Parker said he has a 400m and 800m background which is also the athletics background Next Generation Indigenous Academy player Kai Pudney has. Kai and Martin Frederick in June last year have been approved for talent concessions by the AFL, so if we think they are good enough to draft this November, we have first dibs.

Last year we did lots of 300m repeat sprints. I mentioned in the SpeedEndurance thread I started 3 years ago and put some basic info about that at this post

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...s-speedendurance.1085514/page-3#post-48245630

I believe its important that players have SpeedEndurance rather than speed and endurance. SpeedEndurance means maintain 90-95% maximum output for longer and repeated efforts. 400m runners are better at that than 3km time trial experts. You need a decent endurance base, but the game is more about speed bursts and repeated efforts. To me repeat 3 x 1km sprints makes more sense than 3km time trial results. We found in 2016 when rotations went from 120 to 90 that players were going harder earlier and hanging on when we trained to out last them. The first 5 weeks showed that plan was incorrect then the injuries piled up to completely stuff up our season.

I've also said many time over the years on here, we should employ an athletics sprints coach as a consultant like we have used tackling expert John Donehue as a consultant to improve basic technique and fine tune players thru the season. Look at that video of Boak in Arizona for the sort of stuff I'm saying as well as stuff i posted in the SpeedEndurance thread.

Wasn't Graham Cornes famous for his x100 100m sprints. That would be high speed repeat efforts! And that was back in the early 90s.

Just wanted to clear a little inaccuracy that the time trial article posted.
You wouldn't find a single Melbourne supporter who wouldn't be ******* pumped if Trenners got games for you guys but the suggestion that his time trial proves he is over his foot injuries is a little misleading. He didn't have a single injury at Melbourne in his last 2 years and completed both pre seasons. His problem isn't his long distance running it's that he has concrete feet now and literally can't accelerate away from a contest or jump in a marking contest anymore. He played a couple games for Melbourne last year and still has clean hands and footy smarts but he makes Sam Mitchell look like Cyril Rioli.
All good. I agree that with his history anyone would be stoked if he could get back to playing some decent footy at AFL level. We're all pretty relieved that Polec and our medicos opted against having an op for his navicular #, instead allowing it to heal naturally. Anyway, we got Trengove for nothing and have given him another chance, he's depth. Anything else is a massive bonus for him and for us. Good luck to the fella.

I know every case is different but two interesting articles about James Hird's Navicular #s, operations, and slow recovery.

ww.examiner.com.au/story/643652/hird-the-news-about-james/

Then in round 10 that year he (Hird) received a stress fracture in his right foot that prematurely ended his season. Last season hamstring problems reduced his input by 10 games, but constant pain in his foot was proving more than a passing worry. X-rays revealed his 1997 stress fracture had opened up and he had two steel pins inserted to strengthen a weakening navicular bone.

Hird's latest pre-season preparation was restricted to non weight-bearing exercises on his right leg.

However, further scans in February this year showed the fracture had continued to widen. The bone eventually shattered early in the April 1 night match against the Kangaroos at the MCG.

New and radical surgery was performed, this time involving metal screws to hold the bone together, a bone graft and the use of a synthetic protein to speed up healing. Melbourne orthopaedic surgeon Julian Feller injected Osteogenic Protein-1 into the navicular bone to promote regeneration and growth of skeletal tissue.

and...

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2004-07-08/hirds-history-part-3

Even Hird’s fabled work ethic couldn’t save him when, in 1997, things went horribly wrong. A chronic footy injury marked the beginning of three years of hell. Hird had developed a stress fracture of the navicular bone in his foot, a rare injury, and it just wasn’t healing.

Operation after operation failed to rectify the problem. The murmurs started, suggesting that Hird’s career was as good as over. Graphic shots of Hird, distraught on the bench after another failed comeback early in 1999, seemed to sum up his bleak future. At that stage, Hird himself had begun to wonder if he could summons up the reserves needed for another comeback.

But Essendon had contracted a new fitness coach at the beginning of the 1999 season. His name was John Quinn and, together with the other medical staff at the club, he was charged with getting Hird back to full fitness. ""He was starting to believe the doubters – those who said he would never return. He was lost, confused and frustrated by it all,"" Quinn said. ""The first thing we did was put a plan in place and get him believing again. After that he became very focused. Even through the setbacks he would never ask, ‘Why me?’ he would just ask, ‘What do we try next?’. No one knows how hard he worked to get back. I would set him a program and continually have to revise it up – he just amazed me."" The pair worked together every day and, not surprisingly, has become very good friends.

In the three seasons leading up to 2000, Hird’s horror run of stress fractures, calf and hamstring injuries had restricted him to just 22 games of a possible 70. So season 2000 arrived and Hird was once more said to be fit. But would he be as good as before? More importantly, would he last the distance? Hird conceded later he had his own doubts. ""I said to myself that this year was going to be the last crack at getting back. If it hadn’t worked there was a pretty good chance I would have given it away.""

By the end of the 2000 season all the questions surrounding Hird had been answered emphatically. The Bombers lost just one game during the home and away season, and Hird was superb throughout – effective and inspirational in equal measure. He played 19 games and polled 16 Brownlow votes; if he had played every game he would have given the Medal a big shake. He still struggled with injuries – most notably a buttock problem and a finger complaint – but nothing short of a broken leg was going to keep him out of the finals action.

That was a comeback on a grand scale. Amazing enough that his body could withstand the hard running, the buffeting and battering. Astonishing, though, that he could set aside any self-doubts, and disable the self-protection mechanism in his brain. So it was that he hit packs harder, tackled more ferociously and contested more fiercely than ever before.

Genuine question

Was he in the top 3/4 at Melbourne in your pre season time trials last year

He was always a good runner but never top 3 as far as I remember, we have had some freaks though like Scully and then Tom Mcdonald who's won it about 4 years straight until Tom Bugg got him.
Also we had some absolute garbage footballers who were great runners who's name I won't even mention because they were so bad.

It's painful watching him because he's still the same bloke but he looks like he's carrying an army weight pack on everything he does, fingers crossed you guys can add some power where we couldn't

Wasn't Graham Cornes famous for his x100 100m sprints. That would be high speed repeat efforts! And that was back in the early 90s.
Robert Walls when he got to Carlton after 1985 season introduced them to Australian Football. Cornes when he was at crows said if the others are doing 100 we have to do 110.

I have heard 2 versions of how they worked. First one is that you have to do each one in 15 seconds or less and have a 30 second break between sprints and a 2 minute break after every 25 x 100m sprints. Second one was you have to do it in 15 seconds or less and the next one starts after a minute is up so all up it takes 100 minutes to do them ie 10kms over 100 minutes.

When you have players that can run 100m in 11 seconds flat to low 12 seconds they pace themselves and rather than it becoming a SpeedEndurance exercise - which looks at pushing yourself at 90-95% of your maximum capacity - the exercise becomes an endurance test and testing mental toughness rather than improving speed and SpeedEndurance.

Legendary US Sprints coach John Smith in that video I posted in the SpeedEndurance thread says he gets guys to do do 9 x 60m sprints at 90-95% of their maximum speed and then throws in a 300m sprint for character building.

The 100x100's has been in the news a bit lately with the Brayshaw brothers and their mate Charlie Constable (drafted by Geelong) continuing a Christmas day tradition of doing the set in the morning.

I think a lot of the "attraction" is for the mental aspect. May not be the optimal training method, but when you factor in the confidence you build in yourself from overcoming and achieving such a mental hurdle thought challenging or even unattainable I guess is more than worthwhile. Pretty intagible sort of thing though - which to again digress is why guys like Burgess and McKeon speak with such conviction (and have a significant body of evidence that they have produced backing them) are so sought after in that the players have the confidence in their methods.

I thought he was famous for non-repeat 3 metre sprints over hot coals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only two players?!
They are sending the half back and five-eight players. These two players are the ones that do nearly all the kicking in rugby league, so I reckon they want these two to specifically work on their kicking skills doing various kicking drills more so so than the weights and running.

They are sending the half back and five-eight players. These two players are the ones that do nearly all the kicking in rugby league, so I reckon they want these two to specifically work on their kicking skills doing various kicking drills more so so than the weights and running.

They could have send ALL HB and 5/8 players. We've send 11 guys there. Getting 4 to 6 of their players wouldn't be an issue. But, well...

They could have send ALL HB and 5/8 players. We've send 11 guys there. Getting 4 to 6 of their players wouldn't be an issue. But, well...
Is this the first time the Bunnies are doing this? Maybe they're just starting it slow.
Then again, the fact that any ARL team would even entertain the thought that they'd have anything to learn from any AFL team is probably a huge achievement in itself.

Is this the first time the Bunnies are doing this? Maybe they're just starting it slow.
Then again, the fact that any ARL team would even entertain the thought that they'd have anything to learn from any AFL team is probably a huge achievement in itself.
Nah Sydney and Easts/Roosters signed up in 1996 to share training and other facilities. They have had cross training for years. The same with Brisbane and the Broncos after Leigh Matthews got to Lions. The same with Collingwood and the Melbourne Storm.

But it probably is the first time a Sydney or Qld club have left their state to train with AFL club from outside their home state.

Reminds me back in my playing days (we were shit) but were playing even worse.. and lost by 16 goals... and had to do a lap after training for every goal we lost by.... my knee was already dodgy but did it anyways *always had to show no pain ect* knee swelled up couldn't move it... missed ten weeks...

God news. Hopefully there is an open session. Looks like Greg Inglis wont be coming. Would have liked to see him and Charlie Dixon next to each other and doing exercises against each other.
How do we find out.

Im on holidays and me and the kids are big rabbits fans would love to take them down.

Reminds me back in my playing days (we were shit) but were playing even worse.. and lost by 16 goals... and had to do a lap after training for every goal we lost by.... my knee was already dodgy but did it anyways *always had to show no pain ect* knee swelled up couldn't move it... missed ten weeks...

Did you play for Rosewater ? I would say your coach or coaches were shitter then the team by the sounds of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2018

Back