Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I have heard that Jamarra has a long way to go to be ready for senior football and a debut in the early rounds is not expected. They are letting him settle in and concentrate on training without any extra pressure that can come from media attention.
This is exactly as it should be. I remember BMac took the same approach with Bont in his first season. Also need to remember Marra has had bugger all footy for a year, aside from school (was school footy even allowed?).

Here is our Scoreboard Impact for 2020 sorted by In50 targets...

View attachment 1049659

@Unorth

Thanks. Really interesting and slightly depressing. I know the club would have more advanced stats than this but I think this alone just confirms what I a lot of us thought while watching. I'd love to see Naughton first on the target list this year. Pending individual form I'd love to see Bruce become the foil/decoy more often for Naughton, rather than flying for everything and bringing the ball to ground so the other team can get it and fire it back out.

Thanks. Really interesting and slightly depressing. I know the club would have more advanced stats than this but I think this alone just confirms what I a lot of us thought while watching. I'd love to see Naughton first on the target list this year. Pending individual form I'd love to see Bruce become the foil/decoy more often for Naughton, rather than flying for everything and bringing the ball to ground so the other team can get it and fire it back out.
Or start taking marks

I think that is because structurally we prefer to have Bruce doing the wrestling with Naughton flying in from the side.
We've never been good enough at creating space in the forward line to hit leading targets.

I hated this rule change when it came out but geez our style of play really is gonna love this.

I hated this rule change when it came out but geez our style of play really is gonna love this.
I really hope we're practicing not manning the mark properly except for set shots. Standing back will make such a massive difference.

Hocking needs to get away from the rules asap. This is one of the worst ideas they've ever come up with

Can you grab the ball , bare your arse, wipe the ball between your bum cheeks , and turn your arse to the kicker? With a derogatory message drawn on your bum like “insert ball here”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wallis is underrated.

Bruce dropping 6-7 kgs this preseason so far can only be a good thing.

50% conversion! 😳 👌

Some obvious factors why it'd be better than the big guys of course, but still pretty amazing.
Would love to see stats for the whole comp.

Can you grab the ball , bare your arse, wipe the ball between your bum cheeks , and turn your arse to the kicker? With a derogatory message drawn on your bum like “insert ball here”
You wouldn't want to try that with Setanta O'hAilpin within boot range

More convoluted rules is exactly what we needed. The manning the mark rule should require 16 pages of legislation and a master's in law to even understand.
Until a coach decides to stand one of his players next to the man on the mark and when the kicker approaches he blocks him so the kicker can gain more ground and hopefully kick over the zone and disrupt the defensive grid. Chicken and egg scenario yet again or AC as i call it (After Clarkson).

Until a coach decides to stand one of his players next to the man on the mark and when the kicker approaches he blocks him so the kicker can gain more ground and hopefully kick over the zone and disrupt the defensive grid. Chicken and egg scenario yet again or AC as i call it (After Clarkson).
No player from either team allowed within 5m of the man on the mark I believe

I must have totally missed this rule.

This is absolutely one of the worst “ideas to make the game better” that I have seen. Each rule change is taking more and more instinct out of the game. Steve Hocking is just not getting it and this clown needs to be punted

No player from either team allowed within 5m of the man on the mark I believe
Sorry, that was not a comment on the new rule more why they changed it. Coaches thinking = Rule changes to correct coaches thinking. Similar to the demise of the runner, there is always one who will push the boundaries and ruin it for everyone else.

So the free kick and 50m count is going to be even higher because players will most definitely forget they can't move around on the mark.

I feel sorry for all of the things the modern player needs to remember when playing footy. Instinct gone.

So the free kick and 50m count is going to be even higher because players will most definitely forget they can't move around on the mark.

I feel sorry for all of the things the modern player needs to remember when playing footy. Instinct gone.

100% needed to be trialled in depth first, I can see this rule being blasted (if not totally ruining games and results) and forcing the AFL to scrap it early on

I must have totally missed this rule.

This is absolutely one of the worst “ideas to make the game better” that I have seen. Each rule change is taking more and more instinct out of the game. Steve Hocking is just not getting it and this clown needs to be punted

Its a fantastic rule. Clubs were abusing it by moving off the line then creeping over the mark to add pressure, Richmond were the Kings at it. I could see it, certain clubs had worked out you could get away with it. Eg: Mark on centre wing. Cotching mans the mark yet moves a good 3 metres to the right towards the centre of the ground, also creeping over the mark by a metre, cutting off the options to cross back into the centre, this forces the player down the line and into richmond hands who will now get a turn over and run through the middle which is opened up.

There are people reviewing the tapes on everything. It will only help the dogs and hinder the side abusing the rule.

AFL wants more goals.

Higher scoring = more entertaining.

According to the rule makers, anway :cool:

If only they’d end incorrect disposal for dropping the ball in a tackle . There would be more ball ups for the first few games until players got used to it. Then they’d soon stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back