Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Davies kicking action and depth are pretty good from my observation. In that he has a 'decision making' problem I think it partly only looks that way because he is attempting kicks a sizable proportion of other key defenders wouldn't. I.e. Aggressive play initiating kicks rather than just squaring it to a flanker.

BTW this doesn't mean I think hes going to turn into the next Weitering or something. If he makes it at all he may find he has to give up on attacking kicking as he's not good enough at it.

Davies kicking action and depth are pretty good from my observation. In that he has a 'decision making' problem I think it partly only looks that way because he is attempting kicks a sizable proportion of other key defenders wouldn't. I.e. Aggressive play initiating kicks rather than just squaring it to a flanker.

BTW this doesn't mean I think hes going to turn into the next Weitering or something. If he makes it at all he may find he has to give up on attacking kicking as he's not good enough at it.
I think this hits the nail on the head with his disposal. Very keen to see how he and Draper go this year, if you could combine the two players you’d have an absolute superstar of a player

So what's the deal with our skills in general? Is it a fatigue thing from doing extra running early in the session or is there cause for concern? Bit annoying that it's still an issue tbh.

I think this hits the nail on the head with his disposal. Very keen to see how he and Draper go this year, if you could combine the two players you’d have an absolute superstar of a player
Draper is a key position height flanker I reckon.

So what's the deal with our skills in general? Is it a fatigue thing from doing extra running early in the session or is there cause for concern? Bit annoying that it's still an issue tbh.

I would expect that a full squad with top ups has more turnovers than our best side will (which will still have plenty). I'm not making an excuse, just that we should expect more mistakes out of our combined AFL & WAFL quality players both in terms of delivering the ball and being where the kicker expected the team mate to be.

Then again, for all the nice things seeing Fyfe taking that hanger, the Frederick kick looked an absolute shocker to his one team mate surrounded by purple opponents and to his disadvantage.

I would expect that a full squad with top ups has more turnovers than our best side will (which will still have plenty). I'm not making an excuse, just that we should expect more mistakes out of our combined AFL & WAFL quality players both in terms of delivering the ball and being where the kicker expected the team mate to be.

Then again, for all the nice things seeing Fyfe taking that hanger, the Frederick kick looked an absolute shocker to his one team mate surrounded by purple opponents and to his disadvantage.
I would say that if there's ever a time of year to have poor skills, it's definitely now.

I’m not overly concerned by skills if we’re playing a game style that’ll win us games once the skills improve,

When we got smashed by Brisbane in Brisbane last year I was reasonably happy with the game style we played. We just weren’t good enough to execute against their pressure or in those conditions. We did win the next few games though. It was a massive step forward.

If you’re worried about skills across the board you end up with the slow risk-free bullsh** that lost us a game against North Melbourne at home. No matter how good our skills are that game style would only beat the very worst teams in the competition and as that day showed, sometimes it doesn’t even do that.

You don’t become a highly skilled team playing a winning game style unless you start trying to be so. Over time we’ll work out if anyone’s skills aren’t good enough and we’ll move on. My honest opinion is that we’ll only see a handful of players that can’t eventually cope and 1-2 of them will be in positions we can cover and/or make the most of other attributes anyway (i.e. KPD, inside mid).

Happy to hear things like we look to be quicker/fitter and are trying to move it through the corridor. It actually looks like we’ve identified where it was clearly going wrong and trying to fix it. The fix won’t happen overnight.

I’m not overly concerned by skills if we’re playing a game style that’ll win us games once the skills improve,

When we got smashed by Brisbane in Brisbane last year I was reasonably happy with the game style we played. We just weren’t good enough to execute against their pressure or in those conditions. We did win the next few games though. It was a massive step forward.

If you’re worried about skills across the board you end up with the slow risk-free bullsh** that lost us a game against North Melbourne at home. No matter how good our skills are that game style would only beat the very worst teams in the competition and as that day showed, sometimes it doesn’t even do that.

You don’t become a highly skilled team playing a winning game style unless you start trying to be so. Over time we’ll work out if anyone’s skills aren’t good enough and we’ll move on. My honest opinion is that we’ll only see a handful of players that can’t eventually cope and 1-2 of them will be in positions we can cover and/or make the most of other attributes anyway (i.e. KPD, inside mid).

Happy to hear things like we look to be quicker/fitter and are trying to move it through the corridor. It actually looks like we’ve identified where it was clearly going wrong and trying to fix it. The fix won’t happen overnight.
Collingwood were prone to turning it over because they played at a high pace. It's when players fail to execute basic skills under low pressure that is frustrating.

Collingwood were prone to turning it over because they played at a high pace. It's when players fail to execute basic skills under low pressure that is frustrating.
What's more frustrating is a 50-60m bomb to a contest we're never going to win because we're playing slow risk-free sh**e and there's nothing else to kick to because of it.

That's what lost us games of footy last year not the type of skill errors you could classify as a genuine howler.

What's more frustrating is a 50-60m bomb to a contest we're never going to win because we're playing slow risk-free sh**e and there's nothing else to kick to because of it.

That's what lost us games of footy last year not the type of skill errors you could classify as a genuine howler.

Even that game plan of a long bomb to a contest is going to work better than a turnover 30m ahead and more corridor, we just needed the mature bodies able to get the ball over the boundary line for a stoppage up the ground so our defense could set up again.

Even that game plan of a long bomb to a contest is going to work better than a turnover 30m ahead and more corridor, we just needed the mature bodies able to get the ball over the boundary line for a stoppage up the ground so our defense could set up again.
Long bombs to even contests actually worth okay imo. It's when we give the opposition enough time to set up their defence actually how they want and we kick it straight into their trap that frustrates me. Doing that all game gives almost no chance of winning imo.

I mentioned the Brisbane game for a reason. A lot of the time you don't succeed until you fail a few times first. Us winning the next few games is a small sample of what is achievable with that game style. I believe we're capable of doing it and will be a better side in 2-3 years if we start doing it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long bombs to even contests actually worth okay imo. It's when we give the opposition enough time to set up their defence actually how they want and we kick it straight into their trap that frustrates me. Doing that all game gives almost no chance of winning imo.

I mentioned the Brisbane game for a reason. A lot of the time you don't succeed until you fail a few times first. Us winning the next few games is a small sample of what is achievable with that game style. I believe we're capable of doing it and will be a better side in 2-3 years if we start doing it now.

Yeah the full allowed time holding the ball from a mark at half back before kicking long to the pack but 15 to 20m in from the line is a massive issue.

If we had the player with the ability to put the ball 2m out from the boundary allowing our players to simply spoil it over for a stoppage (and then stoppage dominance) we would do great.

I don't think we had particularly good stoppage work until about the Sydney game, which might have made our lack of Lobb as a long target to fumble over the boundary even worse.

Players are missing targets on the lead and kicking it straight to the opponent under token pressure.

Was trying to remember last time i saw fyfey attempt that sort of mark - maybd 2018?

There was one at the city end at Subi where he landed on his back and wasn't the same player since. Back problem, elbow problem, shoulder problem, foot problem, finger problem.

It's taken a lot to keep him down. Hopefully he stays fit for even half the year, he could win a brownlow just off that.

Is it Davies kicking or his decision making that needs work? I thought distribution was a strong point as a junior?
Yes Davies distribution was his strong point as a junior; I think what he is probably struggling with is the speed of the game at this level, as well as his own lack of speed.
Draper is a key position height flanker I reckon.
Agreed - Draper has always looked at his best when on the move offensively and using his kicking skills; reminds a bit of Morabito. If he had the endurance I think he would be very dangerous off a half forward flank (most of his juniors was CHF+Ruck), but that position is almost solely for players who have midfield level endurance these days.

Just unlucky with Brisbane kicking it long to either Daniher or Cameron off the turnover. Thought did well in transition, then got stuck at 80m, and bomb from there. Need more risky, run and carry game around the edge of the centre square to try and get a shot at goal. Tends to be a major problem at times.
Lack of a tall threat- which Lobb did in 2022, hurt the gameplan in 2023. Really need Darcy, Jackson in with Tabs. Helps the team so much more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back