Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What a great day to watch footy and get a feel of where the team is at.

Just a few dot points. If I havent mentioned a player, it generally means I didn’t notice them as much.

- Really saw a lift in intensity and physicality. Some real bone jarring tackles being laid with desperation.

- Footskills really let us down on several occasions, where we had the momentum and gave it back to the opposition.

- Heard that Treacy was ill. No further info.

- Cox really sore so didn’t train. No further info.

- Banfield, Swita, Seb, JOM and Darcy impressed me with their rehab work

- Noticed a real intent to move the ball fast from defence. Usually a short kick then overlap. Worked.

- A focus on using the corridor and being bold.

- Serong all class, just always in it.

- Brayshaw a work horse

- Walters a leader. Just knows how to position and lead.

- Tabs. Just a big body, who ran hard and clunked some strong marks and accurate boot to score. Wouldn’t write him if fit.

- Delean does some good things. One occasion, a strong mark. pivot and laser pass to Voss who marks and scores .

- Brodies hands in close is the best in the team. Momentum changer when he is on.

- Sharp works incredibly hard. Think we have found one.

- Ras. Was really cheering him on. Unfortunately too many skill errors for mine.

- Frederick. Just silky. One moment he shimmied past a couple to score.

- Jackson had the absolute yips. Missing sodas left right and centre. A day to forget.

- Fyfe looking like a beast , and that mark - wow.

- Aish , nice goal . Just a Mr Fix it.

- Hughes . Sorry Ethan, not your best day. Lumbered forward to try to gain an overlap , only to recieve a hard tackle by Chapman.

- Simpson, enough glimpses to say we have a player. Just moves and works like an AFL player.

Overall, we look fit, definitely more physical and strong. Early days, if we can tidying up some of our kicking , we will be ok.

Hope that was alright guys. I had a reasonable view so tried to glean as much as I could.

Last edited:
I appreciate you dialling it back this year but I really didnt like the semi potshots you and others were given as the season last year unfolded following your training reports.

Really, everyone needs to understand there is basically no way anyone can understand anything about the season as a whole from watching pre-season training. Individual players (like Fyfe actually getting through a preseason unscathed and looking good), sure, but there's too much impacting the team as a whole to get an idea of where we'll finish on the ladder

It's all good. We are all human.

Please don't get carried away.

Our hand balling and kicking was awful today. Some players such as Brodie and Davis can't kick to save themselves.

Draper is easily infront of Davis for a half back position in the near future. He's quicker and a much better kick.

Serong was great today but bombs them in to the forward fifty from the stoppage.

Fyfe is looking great again.

Unfortunately so many still errors that halt the flow. Having said that it doesn't help that some of our better players are stilling the rehab group.
Zero chance Davis ever plays half back. His kicking has improved but still in the mould of Zac Dawson, Alex Pearce and Sam Collins. That is lock down KPD. He had some promising games and looks slow as he gets caught out of position but like Sam Collins knows when to launch for Spoil or mark. Would almost be the worst choice in the team for HBF. Draper seems quite suited to tall half back or spare defender in the Michael Johnson mould. As far as accountability goes best me not make further comment. Due the accountability or lack thereof was tried in other positions for peel.

Zero chance Davis ever plays half back. His kicking has improved but still in the mould of Zac Dawson, Alex Pearce and Sam Collins. That is lock down KPD. He had some promising games and looks slow as he gets caught out of position but like Sam Collins knows when to launch for Spoil or mark. Would almost be the worst choice in the team for HBF. Draper seems quite suited to tall half back or spare defender in the Michael Johnson mould. As far as accountability goes best me not make further comment. Due the accountability or lack thereof was tried in other positions for peel.

Problem is he's too short for key back.

He missed Chapman once today. Chapman worked so hard to position himself and he then had to pick up a ground ball and kick while getting tackled.

The ball turned over unnecessarily

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I appreciate you dialling it back this year but I really didnt like the semi potshots you and others were given as the season last year unfolded following your training reports.

Really, everyone needs to understand there is basically no way anyone can understand anything about the season as a whole from watching pre-season training. Individual players (like Fyfe actually getting through a preseason unscathed and looking good), sure, but there's too much impacting the team as a whole to get an idea of where we'll finish on the ladder
I actually don’t mind the rampant enthusiasm being wound back a little. I remember back when we had Morabito showing amazing signs running it out of the middle and launching it in a win (over maybe the Aints??) and someone made an awesome video set to Florence in the Machine’s “Dog Days are Over” song and it got me on another huge hope spiral - and that one ended just like the rest of them. So, I reckon it’s ok for the folks who regularly watch training to give their informed (and tempered) views if that’s the reality.

I actually don’t mind the rampant enthusiasm being wound back a little. I remember back when we had Morabito showing amazing signs running it out of the middle and launching it in a win (over maybe the Aints??) and someone made an awesome video set to Florence in the Machine’s “Dog Days are Over” song and it got me on another huge hope spiral - and that one ended just like the rest of them. So, I reckon it’s ok for the folks who regularly watch training to give their informed (and tempered) views if that’s the reality.
I think people putting the time and effort into a training report can mostly phrase and tone it however they want (though a completely negative shitcanning of the whole team would raise eyebrows).

It’s up to the peeps reading them to look after their own emotions tbh.

And also, if we can’t be optimistic and on the hype train based on complete lack of evidence and rational thought, when can we as Freo supporters?

I'm trying to be really negative

I'm trying to be really negative
Love all the reports KH, positive and negative, if Brodie is way off it in terms of kicking, so be it, at least we know, if Fyfe is ripping everyone apart, also good to know, just keep them coming because being Melbourne based this is the only insight I can get.

Love all the reports KH, positive and negative, if Brodie is way off it in terms of kicking, so be it, at least we know, if Fyfe is ripping everyone apart, also good to know, just keep them coming because being Melbourne based this is the only insight I can get.

All good mate. The year I moved to Europe I lost touch of afl and it bugged me

Problem is he's too short for key back.

He missed Chapman once today. Chapman worked so hard to position himself and he then had to pick up a ground ball and kick while getting tackled.

The ball turned over unnecessarily
Hugh Davies is 196cm. Yes his decision making lets him down with ball in hand. I used to see this a lot with Sam Collins at Peel. Nothing is worse than missing a player who has worked their backside off to get in a good position. I’d expect that to improve with more game sense and professional coaching. Hence my comment about Hugh being a terrible choice for half back (incl. CHB). Last line of defence for him.

He is a good height. He does look slow at times because some forwards have got the jump on him. With continued coaching and development he will learn to corral forward towards the boundary and to be more familiar wit their tricks and not get so lost at times.

One thing I agree is he isn’t ready for AFL. That is the number one reason Oscar McDonald was recruited.

I also agree that Draper does have skills that are neat and tidy. He may well find himself like last year if there are a number of injuries in a squad for a non-KPD position but for mine he isn’t ready for AFL either. If an injury I’d play McDonald or move Chapman back temporarily.

I look forward to seeing them develop at Peel.

By the way thanks for the training reports and info.

Hugh Davies is 196cm. Yes his decision making lets him down with ball in hand. I used to see this a lot with Sam Collins at Peel. Nothing is worse than missing a player who has worked their backside off to get in a good position. I’d expect that to improve with more game sense and professional coaching. Hence my comment about Hugh being a terrible choice for half back (incl. CHB). Last line of defence for him.

He is a good height. He does look slow at times because some forwards have got the jump on him. With continued coaching and development he will learn to corral forward towards the boundary and to be more familiar wit their tricks and not get so lost at times.

One thing I agree is he isn’t ready for AFL. That is the number one reason Oscar McDonald was recruited.

I also agree that Draper does have skills that are neat and tidy. He may well find himself like last year if there are a number of injuries in a squad for a non-KPD position but for mine he isn’t ready for AFL either. If an injury I’d play McDonald or move Chapman back temporarily.

I look forward to seeing them develop at Peel.

By the way thanks for the training reports and info.
Is it Davies kicking or his decision making that needs work? I thought distribution was a strong point as a junior?

Don't get much time in Perth during the week, and was hoping to watch a training session at some point.

Freo Website says next main training is Friday. They wouldn't happen to be training tomorrow as well would they? 4 day break in preseason seems a bit extreme to me.

Don't get much time in Perth during the week, and was hoping to watch a training session at some point.

Freo Website says next main training is Friday. They wouldn't happen to be training tomorrow as well would they? 4 day break in preseason seems a bit extreme to me.

Mid week can see the squad going on a field trip to Fremantle oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back