Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

They went through their whole rebuild without expending a single high pick on an inside mid so far as I can recall.

Their greater inside midfield seems one paced, oldish and 'good' rather than stand out. Laird, Dawson, Keays, Crouch, Sloan. I means it's not exactly Patracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw is it? (Or, dare I say it: Serong, Brayshaw, Johnson, Jackson, Young, Erasmus, O'merea and Fyfe).

Sure you can win a GF with that lineup on the day, but how are you going to win enough games to make a GF (I.E. top 4) with a non bottom six season draw each year?
I think they are banking on Pedlar and Rachelle coming on. Agree its a strange build strategy.

Will be interesting to see as they seem to have all the chips in the forwardline (like reverse-Freo).

I do think FreoRicci has a point about our wingers.
We have one of the weakest wing divisions in the league. We are selecting from rejects and kids in those positions in reality.
You can’t compare to the top sides who have genuine guns in those positions
J Daicos and sidebottom
Mcluggage
Langdon and Angus Brayshaw
Sam Walsh and Acres
Finn Callaghan and Josh Kelly.

It’s fair to say our options pale in comparison to those guys. That doesn’t mean we can’t compete but there will be a big expectation on some very flaky and unproven players to play wing for freo in 2024.
If guys like Aish, sharp Stanley and Nod only stay the same or marginally improve on their 2023 output, we will be in a bit of strife. Huge pressure on that group to step up dramatically
That's not proven. For all we know Sharp is actually a top ten winger in the comp. It might seem unlikely now as he is yet to prove it, but he is absolutely smashing it and we have a history of developing wings well (and then losing them).

It is a myth that we have weak wings until it is proven. If Chapman and Sharp play wing and dominate then suddenly we have great wingers and it's not a problem at all. Aish is clearly playing half back to free Chapman up to play the wing.

Seems you missed the memo from Aish - he said he isn't playing wing this season.

I reckon there's a good chance we get 2022 NOD back as well.

I think they are banking on Pedlar and Rachelle coming on. Agree its a strange build strategy.

Will be interesting to see as they seem to have all the chips in the forwardline (like reverse-Freo).

Tom Doedee will be a big loss, Adelaide's best backman and still only 26yo? His ACL injury may have had a hand in his move to Brisbane.

That's not proven. For all we know Sharp is actually a top ten winger in the comp. It might seem unlikely now as he is yet to prove it, but he is absolutely smashing it and we have a history of developing wings well (and then losing them).

It is a myth that we have weak wings until it is proven. If Chapman and Sharp play wing and dominate then suddenly we have great wingers and it's not a problem at all. Aish is clearly playing half back to free Chapman up to play the wing.

Seems you missed the memo from Aish - he said he isn't playing wing this season.

I reckon there's a good chance we get 2022 NOD back as well.
Sharp is as proven as Henry is.

Sharp is as proven as Henry is.
That’s true, but he’s dominated all our running sessions (which Henry didn’t do) and can kick a ball 50m including goals (which Henry couldn’t do)
Henry is probably better in tight traffic but that’s not really a skill the open side winger needs.

That’s true, but he’s dominated all our running sessions (which Henry didn’t do) and can kick a ball 50m including goals (which Henry couldn’t do)
Henry is probably better in tight traffic but that’s not really a skill the open side winger needs.
To balance that, Henry was getting a game as best 22, Sharp wasn't. Neither are established AFL players.

I think the key thing with wings is it appears very easy (for us anyway) to get an AFL quality one. Freo's criteria is basically you need to be able to run all day and not be treacle, bonus points for size. I doubt it will ever be a position of strength since at least under this management, we just dont rate the position that much. I think there's scope for Chapman to be very very good on the wing and I'll bet between everyone else we get a good role player to pay chips to basically bust a gut up and down every week

To balance that, Henry was getting a game as best 22, Sharp wasn't. Neither are established AFL players.
Henry was a very good runner in terms of endurance. He's just not very quick and doesn't quite have the freak running ability Sharp does. He's way above average though.

Sharp was best 22 for Gold Coast just not last year. When Freo actually had decent wingers on their list Henry wasn't playing. Only got a decent run last year because year because every other winger we tried kind of sucked or was an inside mid. Sharp was competing with top 5 picks and actual AFL level wings for a spot.

Henry was a very good runner in terms of endurance. He's just not very quick and doesn't quite have the freak running ability Sharp does. He's way above average though.

Sharp was best 22 for Gold Coast just not last year. When Freo actually had decent wingers on their list Henry wasn't playing. Only got a decent run last year because year because every other winger we tried kind of sucked or was an inside mid. Sharp was competing with top 5 picks and actual AFL level wings for a spot.

If he wasn't B22 last season. I think we can agree he isn't an established player or at least no more established that Henry.

Who will have the higher ceiling? I hope it is Sharp. He has obvious strengths that Henry doesn't.

Definitely interesting the different rebuild strategies. Adelaide had gun forward line in 2016 but got torn up by Richmond’s spread in the GF. Then doubled down on their forward-focus since then.

I wish we could’ve spent another high pick on a fwd during our build.

If he wasn't B22 last season. I think we can agree he isn't an established player or at least no more established that Henry.

Who will have the higher ceiling? I hope it is Sharp. He has obvious strengths that Henry doesn't.
Agreed but I doubt Henry would've been best 22 at Gold Coast and Sharp almost certainly would've been at Freo.

Sharp obviously has a fair bit to prove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need people to create a traffic jam leaving the airport once the opposition team are on their bus to the hotel, a three to four hour bus ride for every opposition team will give us one hell of an advantage.
This is it
And more
Find the hotel the oppo stay in the night before, then have some of our supporters have a party at 3am on an adjoining room

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They all do that, and I'd argue most non-Freo fans do it as well. Crows, Hawks, whoever else all have limitless upside but we lost a small forward that kicked 30 goals so we're basically fighting it out with North and West Coast for the spoon. Pre-season is full of terrible takes from all comers and fair enough, it is hard to predict. But...

What really gets me is that these people literally work in football and they somehow don't know that our record at Optus is ****. How could you take a football "analyst" seriously when they either
A: Don't watch enough football to know that
B: Too stupid or lazy to take notes if they can't remember details like that

I didn't make it that far but I'd be willing to bet they mentioned the big hole Buddy leaves at the Swans despite the fact he was basically a corpse last year (kicked 1 goal more than Treacy). I am surprised they didn't mention how much we rely on Fyfe.
Haha
I am imagining Buddy in a Weekend at Bernie's scenario

This is it
And more
Find the hotel the oppo stay in the night before, then have some of our supporters have a party at 3am on an adjoining room

Look up what happened with Mathieu Van Der Poel before the 2022 road cycling world championships in Woollongong.

The night before the race, some teenage girls kept banging on his door in the hotel and running away. Eventually he snapped and chased them and ended up being arrested. Released from jail at 4am before the 10am race, which he started but then abandoned. Charges later dropped.

Won the 2023 world championship after he got a proper night's sleep.

Regarding wings it sounds like all of Sharp, NOD, Stanley and Chapman are putting in good pre-seasons and staking a claim.
We've seen how effective NOD is at full fitness. I believe Stanley can really play and we know how good the best of Chapman is.
Sharp will hopefully be able to do the Acres thing, we know he can run anyone into the ground.
NOD was quoted as saying he found it much harder to play one side without Acres on the other side.
I'm pretty confident we'll find a decent pairing out of those 4.

Stanley is probably another year away. IIRC he had only had one VFL pre-season before we drafted him so I doubt he has the tank to be able to do it week in week out at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back