Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

All those ins to come don’t mean sh1t if we bomb it to Aliir and ratugolea. They were a wall in defence.
I think most of it had to do with them manning WAFL grade forwards. Replace Taberner and Voss with Amiss and Jackson and then play Treacy as the third tall and they don’t dominate like they did.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Sturt, but my lord, is there a bloke with less game awareness? You compare him with Simpson, who instantly looks like he belongs at the level with his intensity.
I think most of it had to do with them manning WAFL grade forwards. Replace Taberner and Voss with Amiss and Jackson and then play Treacy as the third tall and they don’t dominate like they did.
Why Treacy over voss?

Treacy missed handballs, couldn’t mark, couldn’t halve the contest and couldn’t get the pill when playing fwd.

Treacy is back up to Jackson. He is an undersized ruck/fwd.

Tabs back up to Amiss.

Sturt, Banfield and Voss compete for the 3rd tall spot.

Agree with this. Let’s get that s#*t out straight away. Best it happen in a pre-season game so the coaches can beat that down. Not going to be enjoyable exercise them watching that on replay.
Yes...but when does the mid-fwd connection ever look good when you're getting soundly beat?

Why Treacy over voss?

Treacy missed handballs, couldn’t mark, couldn’t halve the contest and couldn’t get the pill when playing fwd.

Tabs back up to Amiss.

Treacy has a lot more runs on the board than Voss. Simple.

Treacy has a lot more runs on the board than Voss. Simple.
Not many runs…a few ducks I’d say.

Had a rating of 1 in the paper and I thought wasn’t impactful vs Eagles. Was good in the intra clubs but probably wasn’t up against much.

He is an undersized Ruck. Had better fwd craft in his first season.

Why Treacy over voss?

Tabs back up to Amiss.

Because we already know that Treacy complements amiss and Jackson very well?

Because we already know that Treacy complements amiss and Jackson very well?
No we don’t. Went ok last year but nothing too extravagant.

Guys/Girls he couldn’t even complete hand passes yesterday. Like seriously. One went 5 meters over Sharps head. Horribly out of form.

Had a rating of 1 in the paper and I thought wasn’t impactful vs Eagles. Was good in the intra clubs but probably wasn’t up against much.

You say "undersized ruck", I say more multidimensional. He's still developing, sure (his marking is on the up too), but while he is doing that he can bring pressure and fill gaps. That's proven... Voss... not so sure.

Nah Treacy plays in front of Voss. But like last year if he doesn’t pick up his act he’ll be dropped back WAFL. Treacy has good connection with Amiss. Tabs is s*#t and gets in the way and muddles around the forward line like the queen mary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No we don’t. Went ok last year but nothing too extravagant.

Guys/Girls he couldn’t even complete hand passes yesterday. Like seriously. One went 5 meters over Sharps head. Horribly out of form.
He was shit yesterday I’m not denying that. But the few games we actually got to play the triple J forward line we did alright. At this stage he still plays round one

He was s**t yesterday I’m not denying that. But the few games we actually got to play the triple J forward line we did alright. At this stage he still plays round one
Yes Treacy was magnificent last year..see below ⬇️

Voss won a bnf at VFL level last year. He can play and has been better so far this pre season. Period.

583B82D4-3E4F-4C21-BB38-B15D4F3ED73C.jpeg

The fact Voss was in that starting team suggests he’s pushing for a spot. He could probably play either Sturt or Tracy’s role. Sturt made sure he wasn’t playing for a while after that game and Treacy opened the door wide open for Voss but will have tickets from the rest of preseason and back end of last year that might save him

Eh

Amiss, Jackson, Freddy and Emmett out - thats about 4-6 goals based on their averages, and 4 of our top 6 forwards. Freddy is important for our transition with his speed and leads, as he showed last wekk

Hard to gauge our transition game kicking to the B team forwards.

Cox's intercepting would probably save a goal or 2.

Im not too worried - yet
Last season all of those players were available in our b22 and we played slow and uninspiring. I hope you are right but based on history it doesn't look good.

Not sure why Sonny was our lead up the ground option especially against bigger and quicker opposition. Hope it doesn't stay that way. Also don't know why we seem to act like he is our marking option in the forward line. Our decision-making is garbage.
All our systems fell away around the ball. Strange that you would maintain an aggressive posture outside the contest when we were getting smashed inside.

It looked like Port were happy to take the corridor, even to a contest, because they knew they were likely to win it anyway whether in the air or on the ground. That added to the fact that they also had the option to chip the ball all the way up the ground with impunity didn't help either.

We need to bring Wagner back in. Clark doesn't use his run and carry against real opposition. Brayshaw needs to be second rotation inside mid until he improves. We have better options now.

Hey man, this post all of a sudden made me feel a heap better.

I did the maths and if we had played our B22 and lost, it certainly wouldn't have been by 6-7 goals.

If last night's line up (or even close to it) is selected for Rd 1, then we are in a bit of strife.

Having the B team forwards has a flow on effect - if we dont have the right targets up forward we'll be kicking it to port's defence all night, then they'll be getting rebound looks. Because Freddy, Amiss and Jackson aren't presenting, our mids can't see any good options and revert to bombing it long, which most players do under pressure. Port can then set up for this because we don't have any good options in the middle.

The fact that we couldn't clog them up in our defence is concerning, but AFL teams defend now as a team, and if one part of the ground is off it affects how the others play.

Yes Treacy was magnificent last year..see below ⬇️

Voss won a bnf at VFL level last year. He can play and has been better so far this pre season. Period.

View attachment 1917598
Now show Voss in the AFL last year. Not to mention we only had very few games with the triple J up forward. Treacys best position is the third tall. When he plays that position and is still dogshit then you can start talking about bringing Voss in

He may not be the weakest but Waller played last week and we are penalising a better player than Hughes. Hughes has barely played a good game in all the years he's been at the club.

Biggest concerns for me was slow play and kick outs bombing to a pack. We’ll need a plan B when oppo floods the corridor and takes awa the game plan.

Excellent:
Young
Darcy
Fyfe
Pearce
Simpson
Walters

others:
Sturt had a shocker
Forwards didn’t work together, lead to the same spot etc
Kick outs, I hope they don’t bomb to 55 every kick out this year

Apart from SPP, Port looks close to full strength and played full strength to the end bar their one injury.

JL benched quite a few but slow play but forward delivery the biggest red flags.

Adding Amiss, Jackson, Frederick, Walker/Wagner and maybe Emmet and we’ll look very different.
And cox and chapman

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back