Princes park memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to a game where we palyed Richmond (Cant remember the year) Stopping and having a chat with Captain Blood on the way in. Standing under the old scoreboard and ordering 2 cans of V.B on the way down to the very highclass toilets and collecting them on the way back. Fraser Brown kicked 7 or 8 that day and we smashed them by about 20 goals

Ahh those were the days !!!

You might have asked first. The VB can you grabbed that cold day we were playing Essendon in '81 was still half full. Sober was no place to be when the siren went that day.

If thats they day I think it was dad said lets go with about ten on the clock and the game in the bag so we could beat the rush out of the back streets. We got to the kingswood to hear dear old Harry B ranting about what a miraculous comeback etc - we just sat there stunned. I have never left a game early before or since and have never turned the tv of before the end of one of our games for that matter either.:eek:

If thats they day I think it was dad said lets go with about ten on the clock and the game in the bag so we could beat the rush out of the back streets. We got to the kingswood to hear dear old Harry B ranting about what a miraculous comeback etc - we just sat there stunned. I have never left a game early before or since and have never turned the tv of before the end of one of our games for that matter either.:eek:

Oh that was the day my friend, I thought it'd never end. :mad:

Oh that was the day my friend, I thought it'd never end. :mad:

Heres a better memory for you then - I was sitting at the Heatley End with my best mate about 10 rows back behind the goals in what was my last game at PP before moving to Sydney at the end of 87. It was round 21 and Fitzroy led at half time and we were pannicking that we would get rolled.

During half time Mots and Des English were wheeling out into the stand in the socal club above us - The game was never in doubt after that.

'79

getting to the ground early to get a spot on the wooden bench around he inside of the boundary fence in front of the souvenir stand.

Magro (collingwood) flattening Jezza and the blue boys coming back from behind to beat 'em! Now able to see me and my younger brother on the boundary fence every time it's replayed.

The souvenir stand going up in flames (it was bloody hot where I was standing).

watching the 'mosquito fleet' (johnston, marcou and Co.) tear the other sides apart.

Later memories:

Sitting next to Vin Cattogio's mum in the Heatley stand most home games and being fed like a King!

Carlton's my religion and Princes Park is my church!

Very Fond memories....

My Father was president of a financial company called "AVCO"
Im wondering if anyone else remembers when Carlton were sponsored
by AVCO.... Anyhoo, we got a box whenever we wanted. That was
very cool. But I also loved hooning around the ground as a young
teenager on the weeks we didnt do the box thing..
(Dad being a Bombers fan didnt go to every game !!!)

But even to the end, we had a real home ground advantage,
just like the cats enjoy now. How the hell we let collins back in
and piss all over our home ground advantage, makes me madder
than hell !!! Especially as it was obvious he had his own agenda's
with "the dome"...

I would love to see our home ground advantage return..

Too many exact moments to recall, but one that just hit me, dunno what year
it was, but I was sitting with the cheer squad when Kenny Sheldon took
a specky to end all specky's, he was in the forward pocket at the time..
Never saw him repeat that, but it was a bloody ripper.....
Massive blood rush !!

Atmosphere was unlike anything

Loved when Captain Carlton came out on a hovercraft and kicked footy into the crowd

with a particular song which forgets me :)

Atmosphere was unlike anything

Loved when Captain Carlton came out on a hovercraft and kicked footy into the crowd

with a particular song which forgets me :)

That "Blue Dooby Dooby" thing - monstrous.

Sneaking into the park in the wee early hours of a cold winters night in June or July 2008 with 3 mates and having a bucket bong near the center square

:D

Forget Captain Carlton - what a tool of an idea.

Being a young lad in the late 70's early 80's who could ever forget the Bluebirds:thumbsu:

Found them embarrassing in the extreme. Half a dozen freezing cold girls in Jane Fonda leotards kicking their legs in the air and waving a few streamers. Still, a memorable part of the club's history I guess. :eek:

Found them embarrassing in the extreme. Half a dozen freezing cold girls in Jane Fonda leotards kicking their legs in the air and waving a few streamers. Still, a memorable part of the club's history I guess. :eek:

Absolutely embarrassing but as a ten yo boy watching boobies bouncing on attractive young ladies was fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at a jumper of a fan which was covered in Carlton badges, and trying to pick the older players, before Barb turned around and thought i was looking too closely at her and getting abused in the process~!

Looking at a jumper of a fan which was covered in Carlton badges, and trying to pick the older players, before Barb turned around and thought i was looking too closely at her and getting abused in the process~!

HaHa Classic! :D:thumbsu:

So many 10+ goal wins in the 70s, when last quarters against old foes were a chance to really celebrate for Blues fans. Loved those days.

Perhaps the single memory that stands out most though was the game against North, when about 5 minutes from the end of the game, the Blues lead seemed comfy and Carlton had a seriously strong wind advantage. More than half the stand laughed together when a loud Blues fan called "North Melbourne bus now leaving!".

5 minutes later when Blight marked - must have been 60m out, when noone had kicked it 40m all day in that direction - the whole Carlton crowd was glad the final North Melbourne surge had just failed.

Blight was quite a player, but I don't think anyone could imagine the outcome when he went back to line it up. That monster torpedo into a massive headwind stole the game after the siren. The whole Carlton crowd was stunned and I probably wasn't the only one with a surreal empty feeling for days. Very memorable. Trauma can do that. :D

(But just one memory, when so many others were landslide wins to us. :thumbsu:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Princes park memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back