Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok then, kind of similar. But it literally says the name of the team on the shirt. How can people get that confused??

Good question.

How can people get so confused by this
Collingwood-2019.gif

Port-Final-2014.gif

Two clearly different jumpers. I know, it must be the colours. Eddie must have trouble differentiating the number of stripes from the commentary box, and doesn't want any more embarrassments added to his long list of embarrassments in the media by confusing his own club for Port Adelaide.

Their logos are on the front of the shirt. You've got to be kidding me if you find these too similar to each other. What a joke.

Great point, Port and Collingwood have their logos on the front too. They also have the added feature of different sponsors on the front and back.

Clearly though if Port was to ever get to wear it's WP/PB jumper full time in the AFL, it would have to wear a clash jumper against Collingwood, because lets be honest we can't expect Collingwood to ever come up with an actual away or clash jumper that is actually different and sets it apart.

Good question.

Collingwood-2019.gif

Port-Final-2014.gif

Two clearly different jumpers. I know, it must be the colours. Eddie must have trouble differentiating the number of stripes from the commentary box, and doesn't want any more embarrassments added to his long list of embarrassments in the media by confusing his own club for Port Adelaide.

Great point, Port and Collingwood have their logos on the front too. They also have the added feature of different sponsors on the front and back.

Clearly though if Port was to ever get to wear it's WP/PB jumper full time in the AFL, it would have to wear a clash jumper against Collingwood, because lets be honest we can't expect Collingwood to ever come up with an actual away or clash jumper that is actually different and sets it apart.
Team logos muppet.

And as a sidenote, If I was new to the game I would think those two would be two variants of the same jumper.

The Port prison bars and Collingwood stripes designs, front and back, are significantly more different than the Clippers and Pistons, or Maple Leafs and Lightning.

It's quite a significantly different design. Even the vertical stripes element they share are very different widths and looks
Clippers and pistons HAVE THE TEAM NAME ON THE SHIRT
Maple leafs and Lightning HAVE TEAM LOGOS ON THE SHIRT

Port Adelaide and Collingwood both involve stripes. The distinction is not very clear whatsoever. If I was sitting 4th level of the MCG you would barely be able to tell.

Clippers and pistons HAVE THE TEAM NAME ON THE SHIRT

Port Adelaide and Collingwood both involve stripes. The distinction is not very clear whatsoever. If I was sitting 4th level of the MCG you would barely be able to tell.
You'll never be sitting 4th tier of the MCG with the home prison bars against a black based Magpies kit, so there is no need to worry

We have clash kits for this exact reason, as does every other sport where teams wear the same colours

TAKE A LOOK AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF BOTH JUMPERS lol.

So you're telling me that you can't differentiate between a big black block at the top of Ports jumper with thinner and more numerous stripes underneath compared to thicker/fewer vertical stripes going the full length on your jumper, and the difference between a black number panel a top of stripes and a white panel with no stripes underneath?

How do you go from the 4th level of the MCG when Collingwood plays North Melbourne? Not only does it involve stripes, but it's the exact same design, the same number of stripes and so on. But you can tell them apart no problem, but can't spot the obvious and clearly distinguishable differences on Ports jumper. North even dropped the white number panel in favor of a big darker blue panel of course with obligatory stripes underneath.
The jumpers are identical. Ports and Collingwoods, besides the colours, are not. But you say you can't tell them apart.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF BOTH JUMPERS lol.

So you're telling me that you can't differentiate between a big black block at the top of Ports jumper with thinner and more numerous stripes underneath compared to thicker/fewer vertical stripes going the full length on your jumper, and the difference between a black number panel a top of stripes and a white panel with no stripes underneath?

How do you go from the 4th level of the MCG when Collingwood plays North Melbourne? Not only does it involve stripes, but it's the exact same design, the same number of stripes and so on. But you can tell them apart no problem, but can't spot the obvious and clearly distinguishable differences on Ports jumper. North even dropped the white number panel in favor of a big darker blue panel of course with obligatory stripes underneath.
The jumpers are identical. Ports and Collingwoods, besides the colours, are not. But you say you can't tell them apart.
So you're telling me that someone of Tv or in the crowd can see those logos. W o w.

Also, Blue and Black aren't even the same colour. Of course you could tell the two apart. But it isn't about whether they play each other, as opposed what someone who has never seen the game before would think of both jumpers.

You'll never be sitting 4th tier of the MCG with the home prison bars against a black based Magpies kit, so there is no need to worry

We have clash kits for this exact reason, as does every other sport where teams wear the same colours
Again not talking about specific matches but rather how someone new to the game would feel about those jumpers in comparison to each other.

Again not talking about specific matches but rather how someone new to the game would feel about those jumpers in comparison to each other.
The designs are quite distinct, with the front and back both significantly different from the Magpies design, and the Port logo

This happens in so many sports all over the world without the sky falling in. The brands are and will remain quite distinct despite the same coloured guernsey. Much like they do for Manchester United and Liverpool, the Pistons and the Clippers etc

The designs are quite distinct, with the front and back both significantly different from the Magpies design, and the Port logo

This happens in so many sports all over the world without the sky falling in. The brands are and will remain quite distinct despite the same coloured guernsey. Much like they do for Manchester United and Liverpool, the Pistons and the Clippers etc
I've made myself clear with regards to soccer, and in basketball the team is written on the shirt, so honestly I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

The Port prison bars and Collingwood stripes designs, front and back, are significantly more different than the Clippers and Pistons, or Maple Leafs and Lightning.

It's quite a significantly different design. Even the vertical stripes element they share are very different widths and looks

ArE yOu KiDdInG mAtE cHaLk AnD cHeEsE

328B4729-6561-4BEC-9A2F-D90C2EE99FFE.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you go from the 4th level of the MCG when Collingwood plays North Melbourne? Not only does it involve stripes, but it's the exact same design, the same number of stripes and so on.
If North joined the AFL in 2019 (or the 1990s) there is no way they would be permitted to wear that design.
However they have been wearing it in the same competition since 1933 before TV existed.

Port joined the league as a black, white and teal based team. They have no history of wearing black and white stripes/prison bars in the context of the AFL competition. One-off heritage strip for special occasions fine, but it cannot and will not be their main home jumper.

Good question.

Collingwood-2019.gif

Port-Final-2014.gif

You've got to understand that our niche perspective as graphic design and footy jumper enthusiasts who have a rather in-depth knowledge of the game allows us to clearly tell the difference between these two jumpers. For a considerable amount of the football demographic, the difference simply isn't as obvious and the real nuffs out of them all will probably think it's an interesting and new Collingwood guernsey (as what happened with the PBs on sale being marketed as Collingwood jumper, still trying to find which thread someone posted this in). Don't give me the rubbish about the logo, for all we know Port will probably ditch their logo on a PB guernsey because they possess a distaste for the identity they created.

I'm probably going to move on from this debate anyway because:
a) None of us can really change anything at this stage, it's all club/league executives
b) We're arguing to each other where we clearly have already made up our minds on the issue
c) As a result, the debate here serves no real purpose other than to divide us further in a sport where we're already divided on so many things, such as teams.

I'm just going to leave it at "if it happens, it happens", there's far bigger things to worry about in life, let alone footy.

You've got to understand that our niche perspective as graphic design and footy jumper enthusiasts who have a rather in-depth knowledge of the game allows us to clearly tell the difference between these two jumpers. For a considerable amount of the football demographic, the difference simply isn't as obvious and the real nuffs out of them all will probably think it's an interesting and new Collingwood guernsey (as what happened with the PBs on sale being marketed as Collingwood jumper, still trying to find which thread someone posted this in). Don't give me the rubbish about the logo, for all we know Port will probably ditch their logo on a PB guernsey because they possess a distaste for the identity they created.

This is all fine.

My point is that basically every other major sports league in the world has multiple teams wearing the same colours, or vaguely similar designs. We've pointed out several of those examples in this thread, despite Bwillow11 's mental gymnastics in trying to argue that none of the examples are as close, the reality is that some of them are much closer. Look at the Maple Leafs v Lightning example Pappagallo posted earlier, they're much more similar than the Port and Collingwood guernseys.

In the age of the clash guernsey, this really won't be a problem. Both clubs have strong and unique brands, and Collingwood won't be negatively affected by this in the slightest. This is like the same sex marriage debate where we have one side who is loudly shouting down a concept that doesn't affect them at all, and about 5 minutes after the change is made, that side will realise that it hasn't affected them at all and get on with their lives.

Port will always have a Port Adelaide logo on their guernsey, it's a long term tradition. That logo won't include a Magpie at AFL level, so there will be no confusion.

This wouldn't be a problem if Collingwood didn't up and reverse their guernsey in 2001. The Prison Bars and Collingwood's original black stripes on a white base don't clash at all and are easily distinguishable.
Regardless of if it clashes or not, we are not asking to wear it against Collingwood. Or away against any clubs that it clashes with.

Away/Clash jumpers should fix that problem.

So you're telling me that someone of Tv or in the crowd can see those logos. W o w.

How shit is the tv you watch footy on? lol

Also, Blue and Black aren't even the same colour. Of course you could tell the two apart. But it isn't about whether they play each other, as opposed what someone who has never seen the game before would think of both jumpers.

So when games are broadcast, they don't mention the teams who are playing, they don't have graphics on the broadcast with the scores with the teams at all...nothing like that eh?
You're clutching at smaller and smaller straws now.

People woudn't see that it's a different design and therefore know it's a different team..
Gee, how do other codes around the world manage with teams wearing the same colours. Must be some really confused people out there.

I support port wearing the bars at home. Naturally they may need to concede against Collingwood.

As a swans supporter I have no problem with port rolling out in the bars at the scg.

I know Collingwood supporters that agree on this

What is preventing others from being so reasonable? Eddie can EAD

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ideally if Port did wear its black and white wharf pylon jumper, when it played away to Collingwood it would wear a clash jumper, and when Collingwood played away to Port it would wear a clash jumper. But the AFL first have to grow a set of balls to make Eddie concede that they should have a clash jumper that is actually different to their home jumper.

See, this is where their arguments crumble even more.

They say that Port can't wear it because people would be confused, they are too similar, etc.
But look at their "away/clash" jumpers and their home jumper. How are they any different? What have they done, swapped the colours of the stripes around?

They want people to accept that as an alternative that is visually different and identifiable as different, and think that's good enough.
But Port's wharf pylon jumper, which actually is visually different in design, they say that that is too similar to their jumper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Prison Bars debate

Back