Proffessional AFL players were outrun by brick layers, school teachers, factory worke

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Proffessional AFL players were outrun by brick layers, school teachers, factory w

rick James said:
Wait, so you AGREE that AFL players aren't the best athletes in the world?

Show me where I stated that they are the best athletes and I'll give you a medal. I can't say they are or aren't the best athletes in the world because I just don't know. No one does, and those that say they are, or are not, fail to understand you cannot compare all athletes under the same blanket terms.

Scientifically you can measure various athetic qualities using methods such as those used at the AFL draft camp. Problem of course is there are different qualities required for distance runners, different for sprinters, and different still for athetes who require power (eg weight lifting). You could argue that AFL footballers would be among the best "average" athletes in the world in that they require some of all the qualities, but until you measure them and come up with some sort of a single athletic index you can use to compare all the atheletes you just won't know.

The fact that AFL players are professionals and the Irish blokes are not proves sweet FA about their relative athleticism. Nothing more and nothing less. I had a maths teacher in high school who was scientifically measured to be in the top 0.2% fittest people in the country. And he was a professional....wait for it....maths teacher! And what does it prove? Nothing!

Re: Proffessional AFL players were outrun by brick layers, school teachers, factory w

rick James said:
No dropkick, because netball, cricket etc. wouldn't be a NEUTRAL contest.

The IR series is as neutral as you get, not to mention the fact the aussies are playing against AMATEURS! NOT PROFESSIONALS!

Seriosuly, get a clue.

If you truly believe the IR series rules are neutral you need a reality check.

With limited preparation our professional athletes would suck at gaelic and irish amateurs would suck at aussie rules. What does that prove? Nothing. The fact that IR tests, which are played under rules biased towards gaelic, are even contests proves what exactly? Nothing.

romanwfw said:
why do you think we have NATURALLY BORN ATHELETES who would be good at any sport of their choosing. you know those freaks. Judd, Goodes, Inglis, etc. It is widely accepted that they are so athletic that they would succeed in any sport of their choosing given the right amount of developement and time devoted.

END of story

if you are an athlete, you can adapt

With extensive training, such as a whole preseason say? YES. With limited preparation that the Aussies had? NO.

wooshavich

I was sitting here wondering why some people are getting so upset about the IR series and all this talk about not enough preparation, professional athletes etc.....especially Wooshavich. You son, are way up on your soap box, telling everyone, exactly how you feel. Which is your Brock given right to do so. But I am thinking....why all this about the silly IR series.

Of course my brain isn't as finally tuned as some people on this forum but eventually I have realised that as an Eagles supporter you must be quite upset that it was Selwood who single handedly lost Australia the game.

So now I understand you secretly agree that professional athletes would always beat a bunch of amatuers but given the poor performance by an Eagles player you must publicy blame lack of preparation.

And you figured this out all by yourself mwalker, did you? Looks like Eddie is now loaning his brain out to his brain dead supporters! On ya Ed!

Nothing to do with Selwood you mutant, I haven't even watched the game, wasn't even sure whether it was Troy or Adam that fluffed it but it's irrelevant. I simply disagree with the original proposition and I diagree with the notion that AFL footballers are the best athletes in the world.

Now return Eddie's brain back to him. Collingwood needs it!

**** Brains said:
I'm not sure the exact best, but there are about a dozen sports that produce better athletes than AFL.

So all these 'athletes' would beat an Irish Amatuer Side playing Gaelic football. Gotcha. OK, here we go....

rick James said:
Gymnastics,

Oh no, poor start here dick Brains. Have you seen how bad gymnasts are at handballing? Philippe Rizzo might go alright on the parallel bars but he can't kick for s**t.

rick James said:
Ballet (if you want to call it a sport),

Ooookaaay. I'm sure the Irish Amatuers will be impressed with a stirring rendition of "Swan Lake" but as far as beating them at football goes, I'd still back the Irish boys.

rick James said:

Boxers are great athletes, no doubt about it dick but it's very hard to mark a ball with those gloves on. Again, I'd have to tip the Irish boys by plenty.

rick James said:
Muay thai,

I'm having this for tea tonight and with my wife cooking it, she may fell a few Irishmen but as a sport, its athletes would be sadly lacking come 3 quarter time at Croke Park

rick James said:
Basketball

ARE YOU FAIR DINKUM?!?!?!? Basketball????? Superior athletes to AFL players? You are kidding, right?

rick James said:
and many more.

Oh, so the list goes on does it? Can't wait to see more, mate.

rick James said:
Now you know, so there's no excuse for you to be so stupid next time, agreed?

Maybe set the parameters better next time, champ. None of the "athletes" above would have beaten the Irish on the weekend. And when you say it proves that AFL players are not the superior athlete just because they lose a meaningless IR game shows who the stupid person is.

Frankston Rover said:
So all these 'athletes' would beat an Irish Amatuer Side playing Gaelic football. Gotcha. OK, here we go....

Oh no, poor start here dick Brains. Have you seen how bad gymnasts are at handballing? Philippe Rizzo might go alright on the parallel bars but he can't kick for s**t.

Ooookaaay. I'm sure the Irish Amatuers will be impressed with a stirring rendition of "Swan Lake" but as far as beating them at football goes, I'd still back the Irish boys.

Boxers are great athletes, no doubt about it dick but it's very hard to mark a ball with those gloves on. Again, I'd have to tip the Irish boys by plenty.

I'm having this for tea tonight and with my wife cooking it, she may fell a few Irishmen but as a sport, its athletes would be sadly lacking come 3 quarter time at Croke Park

ARE YOU FAIR DINKUM?!?!?!? Basketball????? Superior athletes to AFL players? You are kidding, right?

Oh, so the list goes on does it? Can't wait to see more, mate.

Maybe set the parameters better next time, champ. None of the "athletes" above would have beaten the Irish on the weekend. And when you say it proves that AFL players are not the superior athlete just because they lose a meaningless IR game shows who the stupid person is.

haha you deadset moron.

I've never seen anyone completely miss the point as much as you just did. Classic.

It isn't about beating the irish at gaelic football, it's about LOSING to them at a hybrid, neutral game.

If you took Gymnasts and had them play teh irish in a cross gymnastics/gaelic football competition (as cool as that would be in its own right) you'd expect the gymnasts to win imo.

But this major part of hte argument flew completely over your head. you are an embarrasment to the human race.

EDIT: I just read you're married, dear god, please get a vasectomy immediately, we don't need you polluting the gene pool any further. Frankston based hawthorn supporters are enough of an anomoly in thnemselves, without being halfwits. Please just, for the good of mankind, do something about it.

Wooshavich said:
And you figured this out all by yourself mwalker, did you? Looks like Eddie is now loaning his brain out to his brain dead supporters! On ya Ed!

Nothing to do with Selwood you mutant, I haven't even watched the game, wasn't even sure whether it was Troy or Adam that fluffed it but it's irrelevant. I simply disagree with the original proposition and I diagree with the notion that AFL footballers are the best athletes in the world.

Now return Eddie's brain back to him. Collingwood needs it!

Now, now Wooshavich, I already explained that my brain is still on daylight savings time....however it is slowly but surely catching up to the levels that you would be more accustomed to when dealing with fellow WCE supporters.

Given my blatent use of more than three or four letter words you might have surmised that although I barrack for Collingwood, perhaps I have better things to do with my life than beating up fellow cheersquad members, beating up people who own hot dog vans and I do not own a single gold jacket. Therefore calling me a mutant and devoting the majority of your reply to Eddie's brain leaves me with no other choice than to believe that you still trying to create distractions. This leaves me with no other choice but to believe that you secretly think that professional athletes will beat a bunch of part-timers but won't admit it in a public forum due to the ineptitude of Mr. Selwood.

rick James said:
I know hte round ball is hard to use, you're not understanding me, possibly because you're an idiot. In fact definitely because of that.

IF AFL players were the BEST, as in number one, in the world as athletes - the skill differences would be offset by that excellent athleticism.

Clearly they AREN'T! Understand yet? Should I draw it in crayon and scan it for you instead?

No one has ever thought that AFL footballers are worlds best athletes but this has nothing to do with the fact they lost to Ireland for as you keep saying is that IR is a neutral sport in that the Irish and the Australians have a roughly 50/50 chance of winning which means sometimes the Australians will over come the round ball and beat the Irish because they are fitter and athletic and sometimes the Irish will win because of thier superior ball use and that they are fit enough. Top professional cyclists are the worlds fittest athletes (ones that ride stage races like the Tour de France) if you want to know because cycling is the worlds most physically demanding sport for example each road stage of Tour de France is like running a marathon every day for 3 weeks.

mwalker said:
Now, now Wooshavich, I already explained that my brain is still on daylight savings time....however it is slowly but surely catching up to the levels that you would be more accustomed to when dealing with fellow WCE supporters.

Given my blatent use of more than three or four letter words you might have surmised that although I barrack for Collingwood, perhaps I have better things to do with my life than beating up fellow cheersquad members, beating up people who own hot dog vans and I do not own a single gold jacket. Therefore calling me a mutant and devoting the majority of your reply to Eddie's brain leaves me with no other choice than to believe that you still trying to create distractions. This leaves me with no other choice but to believe that you secretly think that professional athletes will beat a bunch of part-timers but won't admit it in a public forum due to the ineptitude of Mr. Selwood.

:rolleyes: You should have returned Ed's brain AFTER reading the middle paragraph of my post.

four said:
No one has ever thought that AFL footballers are worlds best athletes but this has nothing to do with the fact they lost to Ireland for as you keep saying is that IR is a neutral sport in that the Irish and the Australians have a roughly 50/50 chance of winning which means sometimes the Australians will over come the round ball and beat the Irish because they are fitter and athletic and sometimes the Irish will win because of thier superior ball use and that they are fit enough. Top professional cyclists are the worlds fittest athletes (ones that ride stage races like the Tour de France) if you want to know because cycling is the worlds most physically demanding sport for example each road stage of Tour de France is like running a marathon every day for 3 weeks.

Actually, a whole bunch of idiots on this very forum claimed AFL plyers are the best in the world.

I was having a dig at those same idiots.

teh day I recognise cycling as a sport is the day I recognise Tasmania as part of Australia i.e. NEVER.

rick James said:
Actually, a whole bunch of idiots on this very forum claimed AFL plyers are the best in the world.

teh day I recognise cycling as a sport is the day I recognise Tasmania as part of Australia i.e. NEVER.
So what do you classify cycling as rJ?:confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rick James said:

This coming from a bloke who rates ballet dancers as superior athletes....

How is Brown Town, Rick?

Yeah Australia were pathethic and will lose the next game and the series.

What got me really into this boring match was the garbage display of the Australian team.

They basically collapsed in the last 2-3 minutes as the Irish ran out the game stronger and appeared to be more fitter, :rolleyes:

Redlegs14 said:
So what do you classify cycling as rJ?:confused:

Exercise. Oh, and usually the number one hobby of tossers.

Frankston Rover said:
This coming from a bloke who rates ballet dancers as superior athletes....

How is Brown Town, Rick?

I never claimed ballet was a sport. I claimed ballet dancers were athletes and questioned whether ballet was a sport.

You really aren't too good at this whole discussion caper, perhaps you should go bash something with a hammer, might be more your style.

rick James said:
Exercise. Oh, and usually the number one hobby of tossers.

If that's the case then the bike seat permanently wedged up your ass will require surgical removal.

rick James said:
I never claimed ballet was a sport. I claimed ballet dancers were athletes and questioned whether ballet was a sport.

You really aren't too good at this whole discussion caper, perhaps you should go bash something with a hammer, might be more your style.

And I did?

Stop trying to put words in my mouth, dick.

But considering you call ballet dancers "athletes" then how can you not consider ballet a sport?

Or is this another example of where you shoot your mouth off and your brain is still 5 minutes behind. Geez, I maybe be from Frankston but even I'm smarter than you......

Frankston Rover said:
And I did?

Stop trying to put words in my mouth, dick.

But considering you call ballet dancers "athletes" then how can you not consider ballet a sport?

Or is this another example of where you shoot your mouth off and your brain is still 5 minutes behind. Geez, I maybe be from Frankston but even I'm smarter than you......

You claimed I did you dumbarse! I said cycling wasn't a sport then you made the ballet comment, inferring I said ballet was a sport!

Look at your own posts ffs.

They can be great athletes without ballet being a sport. Just an example of you being a halfwit again.

You are seriously thicker than sh*t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Proffessional AFL players were outrun by brick layers, school teachers, factory worke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back