Proposal to include premierships dating back to 1870 gathering pace

Remove this Banner Ad

It always amuses me how people care so much about flag numbers, especially when the majority of them won were 100+ years ago.

It's like bragging about how Robert the Bruce kicked the arse of the English a decade or so after Wallace's death

Truly bizarre.
Completely agree. It's such a false equivalency and it's not really relevant.

Feels like the arguments about My Dad vs Your Dad in the playground, it's a pissing contest over very very little.

It always amuses me how people care so much about flag numbers, especially when the majority of them won were 100+ years ago.

It's like bragging about how Robert the Bruce kicked the arse of the English a decade or so after Wallace's death

Truly bizarre.

Probs not the best example as Braveheart is a masterpiece 😅

I vote for whatever is worse for Geelong

No it's not the correct understanding of Aussie Rules history.

The VFA back in the 1800s was the Premier Comp in the Nation.

Aussie Rules "flags" for current AFL teams should only be counted if they were won in the Nations Premier Comp at the whatever point in the games history.

So SANFL, WAFL, VFA 1900s etc. "flags" don't meet the requirements as they were not the nations premier comp. They are not equivalent to Flags won in the best comp in various periods of Aussie rules history.

Original VFA flags count.
VFL flags from 1898 onwards to 1990 count.
AFL flags from 1990 - ..... count.

Premier comp...whose winners lost multiple championship games not just to interstate sides but even managed to lose them to the VFA.

The VFL may have had the most elite players on balance, but given the top talent was split not just across the states but also even within Victoria for a good chunk of history, it's a massive stretch to call it the 'Premier comp' as if this is some official status, when there's years it didn't even have the best team. Top national talent was way too dispersed.

It would be like watching an Italian club win the Champion's league and then going 'yeah, nah I reckon La Liga has the most elite players out of all European leagues so therefore we don't count Champion's League, or Serie A or Premier League titles'

It's an extremely dumb argument.

The English Premier League is a good point of comparison for this stupid idea. It was founded in 1992 when all 22 of the existing Football League First Division decided to break away into a different competition, unlike the VFL where only certain clubs moved from the VFA on its establishment.

There is, rightly, no recognition in the English Premier League table for titles won in the previous top flight league prior to the EPL's establishment, because it was a different league entirely (despite having the exact same teams the year prior).

Individual clubs can still happily claim titles won in any other league they have competed in, but they aren't shown in EPL records for obvious reasons.
With respect, I'm not sure this is a great example you have put forth, as the old English 1st division & Premier League records are very often combined when counting clubs total number of titles in England. Very often.

If anything, the way in which the EPL is so inclusive of prior league records seems to only add more weight to Colin's ideas for me.

images - 2024-10-05T073334.371.jpeg

With respect, I'm not sure this is a great example you have put forth, as the old English 1st division & Premier League records are very often combined when counting clubs total number of titles in England. Very often.

If anything, the way in which the EPL is so inclusive of prior league records seems to only add more weight to Colin's ideas for me.

View attachment 2132165
The Premier League's website only refers to titles won from 92/3 onwards.

Clubs refer to titles won in either first division or premier league. Go to Man United's website, for instance, and they say 20 titles, which includes both, but click through and there are separate sections for First Division and Premier League.

Clubs can record history however they like, but the league should stick to it's own history only.

Clubs refer to titles won in either first division or premier league. Go to Man United's website, for instance, and they say 20 titles, which includes both, but click through and there are separate sections for First Division and Premier League.
Yes, it is broadly acknowledged and spoken of that Man Utd has won 20 titles in England. No one seems to diminish the worthiness of the ones they won prior to the formation of the EPL.

Why are Carlton's 22 Premierships (inclusive of 6 from the VFA era) not viewed in the same light by the vast majority of the football public? Why shouldn't their VFA flags be viewed similarly to Man United's first division titles?

The Premier League's website only refers to titles won from 92/3 onwards.

Clubs can record history however they like, but the league should stick to it's own history only.

Was going to say the EPL official records least support that argument. They usually refer to EPL titles only, and the AFL came a few seasons before that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2132165
Carter's argument is about amending the official AFL record book, not what a random news outlet or broadcaster might show as a combined record.

In the EPL's case you can view it on their official website here: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/records

1000070077.jpg
If the EPL were to be consistent with Carter's idea as you claim, they would include titles prior to the early 90s. But they don't.

Carter's argument is about amending the official AFL record book, not what a random news outlet or broadcaster might show as a combined record.

In the EPL's case you can view it on their official website here: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/records

View attachment 2132267
If the EPL were to be consistent with Carter's idea as you claim, they would include titles prior to the early 90s. But they don't.
Of course the Premier Legaue website is only going to only list titles won in that era. No one has ever argued that first division titles should come under the banner of Premier League titles (not that I'm aware of anyway).

The point is that when referring to how many Titles/Premierships a side has won in English football, they do not discount the first division era (like we do regarding the VFA era for some reason).

Most people would say that Man Utd has won 20 titles, including 13 in the EPL era, but if someone says Essendon have won 20 Premierships they would get laughed at at best.

Why do we not treat old VFA Prernieships in the same way as First Division football titles? How are they different in this regard?

Yes, it is broadly acknowledged and spoken of that Man Utd has won 20 titles in England. No one seems to diminish the worthiness of the ones they won prior to the formation of the EPL.

Why are Carlton's 22 Premierships (inclusive of 6 from the VFA era) not viewed in the same light by the vast majority of the football public? Why shouldn't their VFA flags be viewed similarly to Man United's first division titles?
How anyone views anything is a matter of personal opinion. These are windy rhetorical questions.

Jumping from "why should some premierships count?" doesn't get you to "Geelong won 5 VFLAFL flags on the 1880s".

Carters argument is a dungheap of rhetorical questions and factual error. "People forgot" "the AFLs earliest era" these are factually incorrect statements.

There were no premierships contested in the VFA in the period Col wants the VFL/AFL to retrospectively create.

Geelong can count these journalist-awarded faux flags if they like, it would be tragic copium if they did.

It's would be incorrect for the VFL/AFL (whose identity changes in Cols argument with illogical ease) to acknowledge in the VFL/AFL flags won in another comp.

The weaseling about "premier comp" is made up garbage, where's the official crown worn by a footy comp that makes it the "premier league"? Or is that awarded decades later by journalists too?

The man's arguments are a sad joke. It's worrying such a person was in a position of authority. Sloppy, dishonourable and shonky garbage.

Last edited:

View attachment 2132267

Col doesn't want to turn old VFA Premierships into VFL or AFL ones. He just wants them to be formally recognised as Premierships by the AFL, and thus, added to the official tallies of Premierships won by the clubs. Like is the case with English Football Titles.

Col doesn't want to turn old VFA Premierships into VFL or AFL ones. He just wants them to be formally recognised as Premierships by the AFL, and thus, added to the official tallies of Premierships won by the clubs. Like is the case with English Football Titles.

What’s weird is I see Geelong people argue two things:

1. Add old premierships to the tally

2. Only AFL flags matter

Both are used to say they are the most successful club.

Both contradict each other

Both are used to cope with the fact that they aren’t one of the most successful clubs in AFL even though their supporters think they are.

Not sure why it’s so hard to leave it as it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Proposal to include premierships dating back to 1870 gathering pace

Remove this Banner Ad

Back