Protected Species ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by noddy
Players such as Lynch & Silvagni have the footy smarts & know/knew when to give a slight push without being caught out as what happened to Bassett on sat night, anyway i don't begrudge a full-forward like Lynch who who knows how to use his body against an opponent & comes up with 7 goals from 8 kicks. ( i should add "as long as it's against any other club but the Crows" )
I agree about Lynch and SOS re footy smarts and that is a skill. The issue is the lack of footy smarts of the umpire in being sucked in all the time. More so Lynch than SOS re getting frees but with both re not giving them away. Unfortunately the umpires are just plain idiots too often. Good luck to players who can play them for the fools the so often are but how you can realistically pay a bloke so many frees when he is behind all the time has me dumbfounded time and again. I always thought SOS was clever enough to fool the umpires and he got away with just short of manslaghter for his whole career. Ditto Lynch but in addition Lynch actually gets frees whenever a hand is in his vicinity - even his hand.

As for the rest of the Lions Andre, I think they play hard and that is all ok with me.

Originally posted by Black Thunder
Being a Sydneysider I thought you would've seen plenty of rugby ;)

I HATE RUGBY!! ;)

Rugby League isn't as bad though with the refs. There have been a few incidents.

But I guess with AFL there is so many friggen interpretations of the rules. Like bloody holding the ball..has this rule become redundant now or what?

On Sunday the umpires only paid one holding the ball, yet there were like 3 or 4 instances of play where players from the cats and the swans had prior opportunity to make a cup of tea, light a ciggie, talk about current affairs and then dispose of the ball. The tea went all over the place and the ciggie was dropped as the player (especially kirk in this instance) was caugh by a good tackle. Heck i am more worried these days of an umpire awarding a push in the back that holding the ball.

Yet the umpire just yelled "play on".

and droping the ball..where has that rule gone?

Kerr isn't a protected species, he just puts his head over the ball and goes at it, which is the perfect ploy for picking up free kicks.
Daniel Kerr
Frees For: 13
Frees Agst: 5

Scott Burns
Frees For: 7

Paul Licuria
Frees For: 7

Which one of Scott Burns or Paul Licuria don't put their head over the ball
or "go at it"???

*Edit: Note these are season totals.

Sydney should just admit that Scarlett COMPREHENSIVELY gave Barry a flogging.

If it wasn't for the softest 50m penalty ever against Rooke, he would have ended up with one goal.

By the way, when they said that Hall would make a good boxer, were they aware that he'll have to fight blokes that are his size, and not 180cm 75kg guys with their backs turned and eye on the ball? He packs his dacks when anyone of comparitive size shapes up to him.

perhaps maybe Kerr does it on a far more regular basis than those two, or is that inconcievable for Collingwood fans to consider ;)?

Originally posted by Scarlett Pimp
Sydney should just admit the Scarlett COMPREHENSIVELY gave Barry a flogging.

If it wasn't for the softest 50m penalty ever against Rooke, he would have ended up with one goal.

By the way, when they said that Hall would make a good boxer, were they aware that he'll have to fight blokes that are his size, and not 180cm 75kg guys with their backs turned and eye on the ball? He packs his dacks when anyone of comparitive size shapes up to him.

Still ****ed at the lesson our youngsters gave your youngsters ay. ;)

I would like to see you fare about with Barry. ;)

Barry plays a vital role in the team now by opening up our forward 50. If we had Mickey and Willo was not knocked out..Geelong would have been flogged. When willo left the ground the swans stopped kicking goals for a while.

Plus where the frig where you man..ay? Sent ya PM and all.

I've seen Barry go down quicker than his Mum TWICE in pubs or clubs before. (Once at the hands of a current AFL player!)

And no I, I'm not ****ed about the footy whatsoever. If anything, you guys should be ashamed for not winning by more than 12 goals. No Steven King and you won by 39 points. Pffft!

Originally posted by daicos4ever
And Collingwood has recieved by far the least. AFL lovechild? I think not....

(edit: taken from The Age, not that site)

Can you post those stats, because I find it hard to believe that anyone could have received less than Essendon........have been in single figures for the last 4 or so weeks!

And no I, I'm not ****ed about the footy whatsoever. If anything, you guys should be ashamed for not winning by more than 12 goals. No Steven King and you won by 39 points. Pffft!

There's some team support for ya!!

since 98:

player - games - FF/FA
kerr - 48 - 55/34
burns - 92 - 92/68
licuria - 89 - 68/131

Kerr and Burns pretty much on a par of about 1.5 Frees for to each free against.

Licuria obviousbly getting the rough end of the stick.

I've seen Barry go down quicker than his Mum TWICE in pubs or clubs before. (Once at the hands of a current AFL player!)

I'll take the 4 points regardless if it was a 1 point win or a 40 point win. ;)

The boys tired in the thrid qrt after 2 big games..you expect it. And if it was 2002 we would have lost on Sunday no doubt.

I would like to see how the cats fare up after playing the prev years Grand Finalist two weeks in a row and winning at that. ;)

Originally posted by daicos4ever
And Collingwood has recieved by far the least. AFL lovechild? I think not....

(edit: taken from The Age, not that site)

actually Collingwood is in 13th - 113 for and 125 against
Essendon is in last - 102 for and 147 against (which is also the highest against)

West Coast have recieved the most with 139, but have given away 126 so we are not completely all that far in front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

since 98:

player - games - FF/FA
kerr - 48 - 55/34
burns - 92 - 92/68
licuria - 89 - 68/131

Kerr and Burns pretty much on a par of about 1.5 Frees for to each free against.

Licuria obviousbly getting the rough end of the stick.
Remembering of course that Burnsy played predominantly half back for that period. It's only the last two seasons that he has spent most of his time on the ball.

13/5 to Kerr this year, with most of them centre clearances, clearly supports my argument.

Like I said, I admire him as a player, but an almost 3:1 free kick count looks cruisy and there are plenty of other footy players who are harder at it that don't enjoy that ratio.

FF

I dont think its this big conspiracy theory againt certain players, it may just seem that way, but I'm sure you'll find that it isn't.

So far this year, Lynch has had 4 frees and given away 7 from 5 games.

Hall has recieved 5 frees and given away 10 from 8 games.

A pretty marginal difference if you ask me.

Last year from 22 games, Lynch recieved 16 frees and gave away 29.

Barry Hall recieved 8 and gave away 24 from 17 games.

Not a big difference, but Hall was on the recieving end a bit more.

Since 98:

Lynch has played 104 games for 92 free kicks and given away 153. (ave: 0.88/game for, 1.47/game against)

Barry Hall has played 94 games for 65 free kicks and given away 123. (ave: 0.69/game for, 1.30/game againts)

That is pretty marginal, although Lynch is involved in quite a few more free kick incidents - Still both give away just under 2 frees for each one they get.

Do the stats include frees received and conceded for "out on the full"? These are, as far as I know, counted in free kick stats.

Full forwards are more likely to concede these, than receive them.

Not likely to influence head to head comparisons between full forwards, but can influence the stats of players who have a habit of skewing kicks over the line.

FWIW, I reckon Scott West and Gavin Wangaeen have consistently held the mantle of the blokes you can't touch.

Also IIRC, I think it was David Bourke :mad: who at one stage of a season while at Richmond had a 22-0 free kick count (in favour).

David Neitz

Frees for - 4
Frees Against - 19

if anyone has the right to complain, it is Neitz and the Demons

every week he is r*ped by the oppostiion backmen, and doesnt get a free. It has cost him about 5-10 extra goals this season Id say

the only way teams can stop him is by putting 3 guys on him that are allowed to hold him and scrag him and get away with it

4 free kicks for the year for Neitz :rolleyes:

disgraceful effort from the maggots

I like how Gieschen says that the umpires have no preconceptions about players...

Was it last year or late in the year before where the umps told Jonathon Brown they were watching him?

Originally posted by Scal
I like how Gieschen says that the umpires have no preconceptions about players...

Was it last year or late in the year before where the umps told Jonathon Brown they were watching him?

Off topic... I'm likin' your avatar and signature.

Viva la DFFL!

perhaps maybe Kerr does it on a far more regular basis than those two, or is that inconcievable for Collingwood fans to consider ;)?
Inconcievable for these 2. Others I could agree with. These 2 would be among the AFL leaders in that regard adn even non Collingwood people would agree with that.

Originally posted by MarkT
I agree about Lynch and SOS re footy smarts and that is a skill. The issue is the lack of footy smarts of the umpire in being sucked in all the time. More so Lynch than SOS re getting frees but with both re not giving them away. Unfortunately the umpires are just plain idiots too often. Good luck to players who can play them for the fools the so often are but how you can realistically pay a bloke so many frees when he is behind all the time has me dumbfounded time and again. I always thought SOS was clever enough to fool the umpires and he got away with just short of manslaghter for his whole career. Ditto Lynch but in addition Lynch actually gets frees whenever a hand is in his vicinity - even his hand.

As for the rest of the Lions Andre, I think they play hard and that is all ok with me.

Nothing wrong with playing from behind though, so long as you don't push the player in front with your hands. Lynch uses his body to edge the other player under the ball. That's completely legitimate if you have the strength.

Originally posted by MarkT

As is evidenced by his stats, Lynch doesn't get a privileged run from the umpires. A perfect example of this occured in last year's GF, when Lynch received a free in front of goal, in the last quarter. To get the free he had to nearly have his head pulled off his shoulders, by two Collingwood blokes.

You may not recall the incident Mark. It was the one where Lynch kicked the goal to set up Brisbane's win. Very difficult to imagine a more just outcome. Sometimes, the umpires DO get it right.

Originally posted by blackers
Nothing wrong with playing from behind though, so long as you don't push the player in front with your hands. Lynch uses his body to edge the other player under the ball. That's completely legitimate if you have the strength.
He uses his hands and his body and he does it often when the ball is a long way away. I don't have a problem with body contests but the fact he gets frees is what dumbfounds me.

Originally posted by skilts
As is evidenced by his stats, Lynch doesn't get a privileged run from the umpires. A perfect example of this occured in last year's GF, when Lynch received a free in front of goal, in the last quarter. To get the free he had to nearly have his head pulled off his shoulders, by two Collingwood blokes.

You may not recall the incident Mark. It was the one where Lynch kicked the goal to set up Brisbane's win. Very difficult to imagine a more just outcome. Sometimes, the umpires DO get it right.
I recall it vividly. You exaggerate a lot. Do you recall Tarrant being manhandled once just before and twice just after that?

My point is simple. Lynch gets what no one else gets gets. He plays from behind, manhandles his opponent and gets frees. The umpires are too stupid and Lynch is too smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Protected Species ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back