Public announcement - Free grammar lessons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to the footy!

Correct - Hawks are best.
Incorrect - <insert non-Hawthorn team here> aren't best.

You'se guys must agree - Hawks are the most bestest team!

That makes no freakin' sense.

If Hawks are best is correct and let's say West Coast Eagles aren't best is incorrect then West Coast Eagles must be the best and hence therefore Hawks can not be the best and hence statement 1 is contradicted by statement 2.

:cool:

The worst mistake I've seen on these threads are when people use then instead of than or the other way around..

Eg.. My team is better THEN yours..

The correct way>>> It's better THAN yours..

Eg.. I'd rather walk on nails THEN follow Essendon..

The correct way>>> I'd rather walk on nails THAN follow Essendon..

No you goose. Hawks IS the most bestest team. Singular - Hawks is one team.
Wrong. Hawks is the collective noun for the team, Hawthorn is the singular.

Therefore...

The Hawks are a real chance of making the top four - CORRECT
Hawthorn is a real chance of making the top four - CORRECT

The Hawks is a real chance of making the top four - INCORRECT
Hawthorn are a real chance of making the top four - INCORRECT

The phrase, "Hawks is..." is never correct, no matter the context. Similarly, the phrase, "Hawthorn are..." is never correct.

With regard to the example you used, there is no way to make that phrase grammatically correct ('bestest' notwithstanding!).

The best effort you could make is to say: "The Hawks are the best(est!) team" but it's still problematic, although generally acceptable in the context of sports teams. If you're referring to the singular term "team", then by definition you should use the singular form of the team's name i.e. "Hawthorn".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worst mistake I've seen on these threads are when people use then instead of than or the other way around..

That one pisses me off the most. How can you not know the difference between then and than. His and he's is a bloody shocker as well.

Thing is, the people who do it won't read this thread because they don't care.

Wrong. Hawks is the collective noun for the team, Hawthorn is the singular.

Therefore...

The Hawks are a real chance of making the top four - CORRECT
Hawthorn is a real chance of making the top four - CORRECT

The Hawks is a real chance of making the top four - INCORRECT
Hawthorn are a real chance of making the top four - INCORRECT

The phrase, "Hawks is..." is never correct, no matter the context. Similarly, the phrase, "Hawthorn are..." is never correct.

With regard to the example you used, there is no way to make that phrase grammatically correct ('bestest' notwithstanding!).

The best effort you could make is to say: "The Hawks are the best(est!) team" but it's still problematic, although generally acceptable in the context of sports teams. If you're referring to the singular term "team", then by definition you should use the singular form of the team's name i.e. "Hawthorn".

Oh another good one. I hate it when people do that. Actually I just hate people. :D

All of the above three options constitute bad grammar, unless you mean that somebody is going to kick an actual bag. "Bag" is a colloquial expression used in this context - therefore grammatically incorrect.
What? Using a colloquialism is not grammatically incorrect... it may be informal, but it's not an error in grammar. Stop trying to sound smarter than you are.

The worst grammatical sentence possible (and likely) on BigFooty:

If they think his gone to kick a bag this week end, then there just bias.

That should cause the grammar-bots to explode.

Not football related, but this should get some discussion going...

My mate wanted to invite this girl to a party and referred to her as the 'owner of the pub's daughter'. I understood what he meant and let it slide, but another guy jumped up and down saying it was all wrong, saying it should've been 'daughter of the pub's owner', 'pub owner's daughter' or even 'daughter of the owner of the pub' (albeit a bit clumsy).

Now whereas in those other sentences the daughter is the subject, my question is could you claim that 'owner of the pub' is the subject in the first sentence, therefore making it correct that ownership goes to the actual 'owner of the pub' and that it doesn't refer to the the owner of the "pub's daughter" (which obviously makes no sense)? Let me hear what you think.

Wrong - seagull's doesn't imply ownership or a contraction in that sentence.

Bollox, you will not learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox
Close your eyes..i;m not having a go..i GENUINLY feel sorry for the guy after what he's been thru.

We'll let u know when its safe to look ok :thumbsu:

Maybe you could get an English speaking, literate Sydney supporter...oh forget it.

Now run along the adults are busy.
We'll call you when dinner is ready.

thankyou! drives me f****g NUTS. it ain't hard, people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Public announcement - Free grammar lessons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back