Pugilism: Sheedy's legacy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Djard

Rookie
Jun 11, 2011
Florida
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Under Sheedy, Essendon was the most dangerous team against which to play as players in the opposition team, especially key players, we're targetted to be "softened up." Sheedy once admitted this tactic in an interview.

After watching three of Sydney's best sustain injuries due to excessively rough play early in the game against GWS, I cannot persuade myself that Sheedy''s pugalistic legacy at the club is not perpetuated by Leon Cameron.

I hope Leon is a better man than Sheedy and will promote a more sportsmanlike culture at GWS, like Mark Thompson did at Essendon.

Just about every team in the 1970s and 1980s had the same approach come finals time...most people cite Hawthorn as the benchmark of it then as they do of it now.

There were always enforcers. Sheedy was one of those at Richmond at times (along with Balme...) To say one coach is to blame is simply wrong. Every club, including the OP's club, had the same attitude (a number of people on here would know of Rick Kennedy...)

I understand the intensity goes up in the finals. But all year, GWS has stamped itself as the most jingoistic team in the league. Sheedy's influence is visible. GWS is talented enough. They don't not need to play like animals. Footy is a sport, or has that changed...to a gladiator-like spectacle?

Its called finals football, the intensity goes up another level compared to home and away games. Who cares about sportsmanlike culture when there is a premiership at stake (as long as within the rules)

I respectfully disagree. For example,
Its called finals football, the intensity goes up another level compared to home and away games. Who cares about sportsmanlike culture when there is a premiership at stake (as long as within the rules)

Examples?

Jeremy Cameron is the most faithful disciple of Sheedy's "fighting Irish" philosophy that is better suited to pub brawls. I would have liked to see him try some of his lowly stunts on Barry Hall.

Mumford's bullying behavior should have been been judged as malevolent as that of Stevie J.

It would be an interesting statistic to see which team has the most suspensions, which has caused the most injuries to others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe you should watch lawn bowls if footy is a bit to physical for your liking.

Oh, but I do agree footy is a physical game. And injuries will occur. Evidently you are young, or perhaps too emotionally immature to appreciate the value of morality.

Your view would change if you had a son play and suffer postconcussive syndrome that commonly leads to Alzheimer's later in life.

Let me put this on a level you might understand: I'm sure you would forgive someone if they accidentally stepped on your toes; but your story would change if they deliberately did it to "soften" you. Winning by crippling your opponent is not respected in any sport by the civilized.

Get it?

He did once wolf whistle at my 17 year old girlfriend whilst she was working at Forest Hill Chase.

True story.

Dirty Old Sheeds...

After watching that clip of him lounging with all the young GWS debutants around him, I'm surprised he would whistle at a girl.

Only a stupid person would interpret a typo as "stupid." Ever accidentally mispell a word yourself?

Calm down knackers...I cracked a joke, you told me to educate myself (i.e. you're stupid), and here we are.

You should have had a laugh at your mistake.

Ps. You've made the same typo quite a few times, btw...

Pps. Nevver.

After watching that clip of him lounging with all the young GWS debutants around him, I'm surprised he would whistle at a girl.

She was bent over stacking shelves at Priceline. Hears a whistle and turns around...

Dirty Old Sheeds grinning like a Dirty Old Man...

Under Sheedy, Essendon was the most dangerous team against which to play as players in the opposition team, especially key players, we're targetted to be "softened up." Sheedy once admitted this tactic in an interview.

After watching three of Sydney's best sustain injuries due to excessively rough play early in the game against GWS, I cannot persuade myself that Sheedy''s pugalistic legacy at the club is not perpetuated by Leon Cameron.

I hope Leon is a better man than Sheedy and will promote a more sportsmanlike culture at GWS, like Mark Thompson did at Essendon.
More fear coming from the south?
This post is irrational on so many levels I cant address it specifically. So I will just say this

I hope none of you're players are pedophiles and that you're club wouldn't promote such a culture. I'm confident you wouldn't though

Calm down knackers...I cracked a joke, you told me to educate myself (i.e. you're stupid), and here we are.

You should have had a laugh at your mistake.

Ps. You've made the same typo quite a few times, btw...

Pps. Nevver.

I sincerely apologize.

BTW, if you are going to begin a new sentence without a conjunctive adverb after an independent clause, you need to use a semi-colon after "joke" in your response. Now I'm being jocular. No offense intended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back