Pugilism: Sheedy's legacy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of puglilism, one old Sheedy story was at Richmond when he was passing something around the room to be signed by all the players for some young kid he knew.

He noticed the whole side had signed it except Royce Hart, who could be a bit moody at times but obviously got away with it because he was such a star.

So he took it over to Hart who whinged before signing it, then when Sheeds got back he noticed it was signed "**** off, from Royce Hart"

Sheedy went back across the room and snotted Hart, leaving teammates to break them up and club officials to explain why Hart had a shiner for the next week.

So OP needn't worry as things have moved away from that - Campbell Brown got sacked for punching Steven May... Sheedy's punched the Buddy Franklin of his day without punishment! It's not like GWS players are running around bringing back the bad old days.

Jeremy Cameron is the most faithful disciple of Sheedy's "fighting Irish" philosophy that is better suited to pub brawls. I would have liked to see him try some of his lowly stunts on Barry Hall.

Mumford's bullying behavior should have been been judged as malevolent as that of Stevie J.

It would be an interesting statistic to see which team has the most suspensions, which has caused the most injuries to others.

Unsociable.....
oh wait.....can't say that. It's not Hawthorn

Well you need to accept it. Tacklers and bumbers would enjoy the fact their opponents get hurt in the contest. We are not toasting marshmallows listening to Neil Diamond here.

Tacklers and what? Going in hard for contested footy is one thing. Deliberately crushing the throat of an 18 year old kid to put him out of the game (ala Dean Wallis on Brad Green) is another.

Watch this from 1985. Allan Jeans, a policeman, defending the Hawks. Some of what he says is rubbish but when he mentions that they weren't the only club I think he's right.

If you want to draw a link between GWS' upstart punkish behaviour (and good on them) and a coach then maybe look away from Sheeds and towards Derm.

The same Derm who was on the end of the most famous hit in finals history.

Watch this from 1985. Allan Jeans, a policeman, defending the Hawks. Some of what he says is rubbish but when he mentions that they weren't the only club I think he's right.

If you want to draw a link between GWS' upstart punkish behaviour (and good on them) and a coach then maybe look away from Sheeds and towards Derm.

The same Derm who was on the end of the most famous hit in finals history.

Can anyone actually understand what Jeans is actually saying in that interview? He is just talking rubbish.

Can anyone actually understand what Jeans is actually saying in that interview? He is just talking rubbish.
He was very defensive in that interview with Mckenna, who was polite but pointed in his questioning, something which happens not often enough these days. Hafey on the other hand was quite cool. Captain Blood easing tensions at the end.

Speaking of puglilism, one old Sheedy story was at Richmond when he was passing something around the room to be signed by all the players for some young kid he knew.

He noticed the whole side had signed it except Royce Hart, who could be a bit moody at times but obviously got away with it because he was such a star.

So he took it over to Hart who whinged before signing it, then when Sheeds got back he noticed it was signed "**** off, from Royce Hart"

Sheedy went back across the room and snotted Hart, leaving teammates to break them up and club officials to explain why Hart had a shiner for the next week.

So OP needn't worry as things have moved away from that - Campbell Brown got sacked for punching Steven May... Sheedy's punched the Buddy Franklin of his day without punishment! It's not like GWS players are running around bringing back the bad old days.
Wasn't that story about Billy Barrot not Royce Hart?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under Sheedy, Essendon was the most dangerous team against which to play as players in the opposition team, especially key players, we're targetted to be "softened up." Sheedy once admitted this tactic in an interview.

After watching three of Sydney's best sustain injuries due to excessively rough play early in the game against GWS, I cannot persuade myself that Sheedy''s pugalistic legacy at the club is not perpetuated by Leon Cameron.

I hope Leon is a better man than Sheedy and will promote a more sportsmanlike culture at GWS, like Mark Thompson did at Essendon.

They're some quality 17 posts. Plus you're a spelling Nazi. Just go back to the bay.

Under Sheedy, Essendon was the most dangerous team against which to play as players in the opposition team, especially key players, we're targetted to be "softened up." Sheedy once admitted this tactic in an interview.

After watching three of Sydney's best sustain injuries due to excessively rough play early in the game against GWS, I cannot persuade myself that Sheedy''s pugalistic legacy at the club is not perpetuated by Leon Cameron.

I hope Leon is a better man than Sheedy and will promote a more sportsmanlike culture at GWS, like Mark Thompson did at Essendon.

I can't help but think that the Swans went into Saturday's game thinking they were going to show those new kid in town upstarts a lesson. Boy, were they disabused of that notion!

Sydney's intensity was down, the Giants' intensity was up - a classic recipe for injuries.

Sydney's intensity was down, the Giants' intensity was up - a classic recipe for injuries.

So are spear tackles and an elbow to the jaw. GWS have always gone the biff, originally because they couldn't play footy. It's interesting that they went back to it for their first final. I presume they'll keep that approach for this weekend, too because it worked and the Swans looked as surprised as they did in the 2014 GF.

The conspiracy theory comes in when you look home GWS took out the best Swan's replacement for Mills the next day in the twos. That sounds like targeting - and only cost the enforcer 3 or 4 weeks.

So are spear tackles and an elbow to the jaw. GWS have always gone the biff, originally because they couldn't play footy. It's interesting that they went back to it for their first final. I presume they'll keep that approach for this weekend, too because it worked and the Swans looked as surprised as they did in the 2014 GF.

The conspiracy theory comes in when you look home GWS took out the best Swan's replacement for Mills the next day in the twos. That sounds like targeting - and only cost the enforcer 3 or 4 weeks.

I didn't realise they were playing this weekend.

Yeah our big bullying kids were pretty scary in the early years before they could grow a beard.

Last edited:
He was trying to justify the unjustifiable re Matthews-Bruns and doing a crap job of it.

I love how he alluded to "incidents" in Peter McKenna's clubs history that he could bring up. What McKenna should have done is brought up the O'Dea-Greening, Neale-Hudson, Neale-Boyle, Dieterrich-Whoever, Dipper-Stoneham, Matthews-Giles, Matthews-Smith, Matthews-Hunter, Robertson-Watson incidents and reminded him that all these gutless dog acts occurred under his coaching and that he was an absolute hypocrite and bullshit artist.

I could never stand that wingnut eared old mongrel.

Mispell is actually spelt misspell.
lel

Is pugalism how stupid threads spell pugilism?
english-fail.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Pugilism: Sheedy's legacy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back