Pugilism: Sheedy's legacy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a couple of the responders to this thread have the capacity to comprehend the difference between playing hard and deliberately injuring the opposition as a means of winning. The latter is more akin to pugilism, the former to field sport. Seems that skill and hard, competative sportsmanship are taking a back seat to the Marxist philosophy of the end justifies the means--that is, be a phony in pretending to play hard when the intent is to take your opponent out of the game...win any way you can...take the "rules" out of Australian Rules Football.

Those that failed to understand my OP naturally resorted to vitriol. As is so common at forums, unwittingly leftist indoctrinated minds do not permit expression of opinions that are contrary to their own: they cannot attack the argument, so they attack the petson. That is how I see Sheedy's approach to playing football...for the most part: if you can't manage to kick the ball, kick the man accidentally on purpose.

Just my 'pinion.

You are a dead set clown if you think Sheedy started/created the all in free for all/whacking players. Players had been thumping each other for decades before Sheeds came along you numpty. Ask Richmond fans about Jack Dyer as one example for ffs. Ask Bobby Skilton how many black eyes he used to get. Ask any fan about John Coleman getting whacked by Harry Caspar. This thread belongs on the Bay along with you, you epic epic flog.

I hate the Giants and everything they represent, but I couldn't agree more with your post.

Hearing a Doggies supporter whining about players getting touched up on a footy field is a new experience for me. Danny Southern played for them didn't he ?

Other than that Go Doggies :thumbsu:

ps I don't hate you gav :D
Hate feeds us

Naah
It's the hate and the jealousy. Swans fan told it's how you tell you've made it, and he was right
Thanks for your concern though.

The parents of the gentleman that confines the term 'pugilism' exclusively to boxing deserve a refund from the school (I'm guessing) he attended--pugilism, fr. L. pugnus 'fist', and by extension, a proclivity to fight (instead of play). One can even be verbally pugilistic or have a pugilistic nature, even proverbially have it written all over his face. But abstract thinking is an adult quality.

A lot of brave comments in this thread...many of which would not be uttered face to face. Only the strong are able to respectfully disagree. Cowards must resort to adopting a pugalistic disposition. LOL! But I think many of those who responded to my OP made good arguments. I'm grateful to all, even those that found need to attack me. I can take a verbal punch.

I used to find it hilarious when guys like Cameron and Greene would sledge opponents when they kicked goals even if they were losing by 100 points.

I used to find it hilarious when guys like Cameron and Greene would sledge opponents when they kicked goals even if they were losing by 100 points.
Sheedy did tell them early on never to take a backward step regardless of the scoreboard, quoting from a number of players.
As I've said before though if our teenagers scared other sides at them time when they couldn't grow beards ( a quote from Mummy this year about hairless bodies in the changerooms) then they got no chance of beating us for a while.

"Sportsmanlike" is a loser term though, isn't it.

They don't hand out sportsmanship premierships.

Hawthorn have their unsociable football reputation. They snipe and dive more than anyone else, and they've won 3 flags in a row which nobody can every take away from them. Hodge and Mitchell, two of the biggest snipers and divers, will retire as legends of the game and are nailed on hall of famers.

You can sook because other teams get away with being too rough and diving all the time, or you can play winning football. You can't do both.

So what was missing in the Hawks vs Dogs game? Nothing. It was good, hard, exciting footy, and all without cheating, without dirty tactics. In just about every other sport, players are disqualified for cheating on the rules. Aussie footy is becoming the exception. To the pugilistic I say, if you were in a race and a competitor deliberately caused you a jaw fracture, I bet you would cry foul play! But if it happens to an opponent, you cheer on. There is an eight-letter word for such a person: it starts with h and ends with t.

Long live honesty; courage; competitiveness; skill; good, hard and fair-play!

To the pugilistic I say, if you were in a race and a competitor deliberately caused you a jaw fracture, I bet you would cry foul play! But if it happens to an opponent, you cheer on. There is an eight-letter word for such a person: it starts with h and ends with t.

I thought you were going for hypocrite then I realised that was 9 letters and ends in an 'e' ... which was the word you were looking for?

Sheedy did tell them early on never to take a backward step regardless of the scoreboard, quoting from a number of players.
As I've said before though if our teenagers scared other sides at them time when they couldn't grow beards ( a quote from Mummy this year about hairless bodies in the changerooms) then they got no chance of beating us for a while.

Don't

EVER

let another team

DOMINATE YOU

Lol... classic Sheeds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are a dead set clown if you think Sheedy started/created the all in free for all/whacking players. Players had been thumping each other for decades before Sheeds came along you numpty. Ask Richmond fans about Jack Dyer as one example for ffs. Ask Bobby Skilton how many black eyes he used to get. Ask any fan about John Coleman getting whacked by Harry Caspar. This thread belongs on the Bay along with you, you epic epic flog.

I give up! So many people cannot differentiate between good, hard, physical play (where injuries naturally occur) and a type of rough play intended to injure an opponent for the purpose of winning unfairly--like Mumford slamming an opponent to the ground to concuss him. If fairness is no longer valued, why have rules? Why have umpires? Let the adherents of the philosophy Sheedy advocated use knuckle dusters. Wait, that's already on the horizon.

To "Runknisse" I say, your need to be so base and insulting is fully congruous with your avatar. Lighten up, man. Surely you have some dignity. Let it shine.

So what was missing in the Hawks vs Dogs game? Nothing. It was good, hard, exciting footy, and all without cheating, without dirty tactics. In just about every other sport, players are disqualified for cheating on the rules. Aussie footy is becoming the exception. To the pugilistic I say, if you were in a race and a competitor deliberately caused you a jaw fracture, I bet you would cry foul play! But if it happens to an opponent, you cheer on. There is an eight-letter word for such a person: it starts with h and ends with t.

Long live honesty; courage; competitiveness; skill; good, hard and fair-play!
Have to say I agree with this. I didn't like the way SJ or Mummy went about it against the Swans and I didn't like it when Barry Hall did the same. We made a stand back then and got rid of the thug. That may not have made us a better footy team at the time, but it sure generated a lot of pride and respect within the club.

Its called finals football, the intensity goes up another level compared to home and away games. Who cares about sportsmanlike culture when there is a premiership at stake (as long as within the rules)
"As long as its within the rules".
Hahaha
Thanks.
Hahahahahaha
Needed that.
Where was James Hird when that Essendonian wisdom was espoused?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pugilism: Sheedy's legacy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back