Push ups - worth it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Furious One said:
Any of you blokes ever done 10 to 1's?

10 push ups - 10 sit ups
9 push ups - 9 sit ups
8 push ups - 8 sit ups

You get the picture. It's torture and when you get to 5 push ups/sit ups and under, you hold. It really makes you appreciate rests. How many seconds rest break do you have between sets, Rick? I'm personally a fan of 40 seconds, always have been. Just curious about Carlo's advice.
Yeah have done that and its a killer! Its basically an intense cross between drop setting and super setting, which are 2 of the methods i use to break my routine every couple of cycles and really shock the muscles into some growth.

If you're at a gym or have the apparatus at home, a great variation of that is 10 to 1's of push ups, sit ups, chin ups and hyper extentions (in that order). Now THATS pain, but you're also training super effectively in terms of working a muscle group and its opposite muscle group, but giving them both adequate rests by introducing 2 completely different pairs of opposites to split each one.

chest (push ups) opposite to lats (chins)
Abs (sit ups) opposite to lower back (hypers)

All of that kind of training is an awesome way to really burn some serious kalories while strengthening muscle groups, but you do have to be careful that your form isn't going to the crapper as theres not much point if you're not actually performing the exercise correctly.

push ups are really good for you

i'm not being arrogant but i'm prettty big in the arm/chest region, just by doing pushups, i guess i'm v lucky cause i'm very inconsistent in my "training"

i will probably feel like it one morning and drop a set of 30-35 and then do nothing for 3 days and then drop anotehr set when i feel like it

however i was pretty keen on fitness sometimes and i might do lots of sets (for me that like 2-3 sets everyday for 4days or something) and that will keep me pumped for a month

i'd like to add my own personal exercise LOL
sometimes during friday night footy, everytime a goal is kicked i do a set of 20. sometimes it kills when teams go on goal rampages, i thin kthe most i've ever done on a friday night set is about 240 then i've given up, usually i get to 160 or something and i'm feeling pretty tired but happy and stop for the night

that's my 2cents

After reading this thread, I wondered if I could still do push ups.

The answer was no. Can't even do any girl push ups as my shoulders and arms are history. Have to see if something can be done about it I think or my golf comeback will be over before it really starts.:eek:

I admit I can't do the 'man' style ones just yet, but I am training myself to do it.

I also starting out training much like
"10 push ups - 10 sit ups
9 push ups - 9 sit ups
8 push ups - 8 sit ups" - but with crunches rather than sit ups, and adding lunges into it as well.

chest-exercises-exercise-ball-pushups.gif

Is what I do for my "Inclined Pushups" - would you say its better to do these sorts of exercises compared to doing bench press/incline press? Because I find it easier to do bench press/incline press than I do push ups :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Push ups - worth it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back