QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

We're the red cards and 50's warranted PN or umpires taking centre stage?

Was hard to tell, but number 9 for Carrara, possibly their captain, couldn't help himself when it came to backchatting the umpires. He must have given away 3 or 4 fifty's himself. He was one of the players sent off too. I should clarify though, they were yellow cards, not red. There ended up being 3 for the day, all to Carrara players. In contrast, Vic Point didn't even give away one 50 metre penalty. It was all one way traffic, so definitely not on the ump's trying to take centre stage or have too much influence.

I think the comp learnt today that if VP's pedigree are up & about they are a quality side, saying that they'll probably have 10 changes for next week & lose by 10 goals..

A combination of splendour & Carrara's poor discipline probably helped them though.

Was hard to tell, but number 9 for Carrara, possibly their captain, couldn't help himself when it came to backchatting the umpires. He must have given away 3 or 4 fifty's himself. He was one of the players sent off too. I should clarify though, they were yellow cards, not red. There ended up being 3 for the day, all to Carrara players. In contrast, Vic Point didn't even give away one 50 metre penalty. It was all one way traffic, so definitely not on the ump's trying to take centre stage or have too much influence.

Also watched the game today Pea Nut and have to agree with you on some points. Carrara did lose the plot and let themselves down big time. There was 3 yellow cards to us but in saying that only 1 was warranted imo. I thought the umpiring was very ordinary at best but it wasn't the difference between winning and losing and Viccy Point were by far the better side today. In fairness to Carrarra we had 17 players missing today due to injury, illness and bloody music festivals, so as a club we let ourselves down badly today but are looking forward to next weeks rematch with a better compliment of players. However as i said Viccy Point were much better today and deserved their win. Congrats to them.

Also watched the game today Pea Nut and have to agree with you on some points. Carrara did lose the plot and let themselves down big time. There was 3 yellow cards to us but in saying that only 1 was warranted imo. I thought the umpiring was very ordinary at best but it wasn't the difference between winning and losing and Viccy Point were by far the better side today. In fairness to Carrarra we had 17 players missing today due to injury, illness and bloody music festivals, so as a club we let ourselves down badly today but are looking forward to next weeks rematch with a better compliment of players. However as i said Viccy Point were much better today and deserved their win. Congrats to them.
Now I wasn't on the field, so I can't comment on whether the cards were warranted or not. I was just posting about what I saw happen. There certainly didn't seem too much in them, especially the second one. I would be interested in which one you thought was warranted. It also does seem to be a common trend in this division that umpires give away 50 after 50 after 50, and once that freight train starts, there is no stopping it.

Well people on this thread had spoken several times about their discipline and that i might cost them at some stage.

Now I wasn't on the field, so I can't comment on whether the cards were warranted or not. I was just posting about what I saw happen. There certainly didn't seem too much in them, especially the second one. I would be interested in which one you thought was warranted. It also does seem to be a common trend in this division that umpires give away 50 after 50 after 50, and once that freight train starts, there is no stopping it.

I'm thinking if any, the first one was possibly the only one that may have been warranted. As for the 50's i agree 100%. Having said that everybody has bad games but when umpires do it frustrates the sh*t out of players and that's when blokes tend to lose the plot. And Macman we are very glad splendour is over.
Another 7 fit healthy players in the seniors today may have helped our cause, but obviously other teams had the same problem, so who knows.

Was there a few on permit for the Sharks? A few names in there I though you might see elsewhere (Moncur, Lynny) to name a few... Or are they at Vic Point now? QAFL round off coincided well if there were some permits... Could be wrong but just a hunch!! :)

Was there a few on permit for the Sharks? A few names in there I though you might see elsewhere (Moncur, Lynny) to name a few... Or are they at Vic Point now? QAFL round off coincided well if there were some permits... Could be wrong but just a hunch!! :)

I hear there were a couple of permit players running around for the Pirates in the early game too? Haha... It was good having a run with you on Saturday mate, I'm sure that Oldman and myself would be happy for another kick if you ever need a top up or two again and we're free. The dry footy was certainly a bit easier to hold on to than it is in the slippery Friday night QAFA(B) conditions!

Quick look at the team sheet suggests only 4 blokes possibly on permit - Lynn and moncur as mentioned and then 2 colts players - rest of the players just look to have finally played together in the same team.
Wouldn't be the only club to have used permits over the weekend given it was a catch up round - plenty of blokes with pre booked holidays and splendour on.
Pretty sure a few clubs utilised relationships!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No sure what game you saw QAFL, so I do not know about being nowhere near as good.
BOC it was a joint player/committee decision. We actually lost a few good players the season we dropped down to QAFL B because they did not want to play at that level. As far as having lost good players from last year, I looked at out team list for the Grand final and there are 7 players who are not around. And none of them have gone off the play Friday nights again.
1 retired
5 moved away including swampy, one of the Clark brothers, Edwards and Lewczuk who were all pretty handy. As for the lippy guy with the orange boots, did not rate him all that much but if he is playing firsts for Robina then maybe he has come on a bit.
But Thommo is correct. Losing Scotty G has left a massive hole. That guy was a pretty amazing player who really knew how to get the hard ball. We are missing that a bit.
But I think we also picked up some very good players as well. and when you look at it i think we have had one draw, lost 2 other games by 1 point and another against Carrara by 2 goals, all that we could have potentially won which would make our position look a lot better. So we know we are definitely not up with the best teams in this division (as seen by last weeks result) but it is our first year and we are fairly happy with where we are at.
I thought I felt my ears burning how's the boys going Macca? Not that I'm stalking the Viking remotely, but I've noticed no fergs, Kingy or Jordy for awhile, injuries? It's also interesting looking at vicky points team. Solid, but brings back memories as it would for you. And just for the record I'm down in Geelong playing for Barwon heads now as my old man is abit ill and we wanted to be closer. I'll be keeping an eye on you but

Quick look at the team sheet suggests only 4 blokes possibly on permit - Lynn and moncur as mentioned and then 2 colts players - rest of the players just look to have finally played together in the same team.
Wouldn't be the only club to have used permits over the weekend given it was a catch up round - plenty of blokes with pre booked holidays and splendour on.
Pretty sure a few clubs utilised relationships!
Thing that gets me with getting players on permit, if it is only to help you out because you are short, why don't they just play reserve grade.

Seems if you are getting players on permit from higher grades or better skilled than what you have at your club, and playing them in the ones it is for the reason of winning.

Not sure what that does for the good of our competition.

But if everyone is doing we may as well all jump on board until the rules change. I think there should be a limit on how many you have for the year if they are playing ones.

Be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Interesting observation Morro - Alex hills apparently had a Beenleigh kid play for them - played 2's and was proper quick, got the tap on the shoulder and played another 4 qtrs in the ones! Tough day out topping up and having to play 8 qtrs!!

Blocker - interesting point. Personally I think that after June 30 permits and or clearances should be done.

There are some blokes who just love footy like Kp who has played for our 3's and I think even had a run for Coomera 2's on the weekend who do it completely innocently.

Sure some clubs do it for an advantage - but there are also plenty of clubs who name players who don't play to qualify them. I think it's just one of those things that we just have to accept that happens.

Thing that gets me with getting players on permit, if it is only to help you out because you are short, why don't they just play reserve grade.

Seems if you are getting players on permit from higher grades or better skilled than what you have at your club, and playing them in the ones it is for the reason of winning.

Not sure what that does for the good of our competition.

But if everyone is doing we may as well all jump on board until the rules change. I think there should be a limit on how many you have for the year if they are playing ones.

Be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
A few years back, we ( at Beenleigh ) used permit players from Surfers 2's when we were short. It was Surfers' preferred option that we played those guys in the ones as it was seen to be of more benefit to their players to have a stronger hit out playing ones, rather than an easy stroll in our 2's. As they were doing us a favour by permitting those guys for the day, we obliged to their preference. Reckon other clubs in the same scenario would do likewise.

Interesting observation Morro - Alex hills apparently had a Beenleigh kid play for them - played 2's and was proper quick, got the tap on the shoulder and played another 4 qtrs in the ones! Tough day out topping up and having to play 8 qtrs!!

Blocker - interesting point. Personally I think that after June 30 permits and or clearances should be done.

There are some blokes who just love footy like Kp who has played for our 3's and I think even had a run for Coomera 2's on the weekend who do it completely innocently.

Sure some clubs do it for an advantage - but there are also plenty of clubs who name players who don't play to qualify them. I think it's just one of those things that we just have to accept that happens.

Very true BOC I even had a game for Coolangatta, haha is that a record 4 clubs in one season, still time too add a 5th club

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back