QAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Just pointing out that Morningside didn't use their "Cheque Book". ( Please feel free to correct me for the 2016 season) everyone knows when it comes to Senior Football, players go anywhere to get a game. And yes players do try out at Morningside. Just as any other players would try out at other QAFL Clubs!!

Personally I think the biggest recruit for The Panthers this year has been the coach Matthew Walder. How could Grange let this Bloke go?

The good part is that the QAFL has opened up and there are 4-5 teams that could win the Premiership this year!!! And that's good for Qld footy!!!

Walder played Under 18s at Morningside and trust me there is no cheque book at Morningside. They get by networking, "the Siders for Life" program and decent people. They still survive despite large numbers filling up Redlands and Aspley NEAFL numbers. I think you will find player payments for the entire senior squad would fit into the weekly match payment for some individual players from clubs south of Brisbane central.

haha, give me a spell
I don't comment on here much anymore, but couldnt help myself, when it was mentioned the Panthers through the cheque book. They don't own a cheque book for a start. They were the most successful club for a decade as they had a loyal dozen that stuck true, they had a coach (Blair) that defended his club to the hilt.
I was at a meeting with there players when the board said we cant pay you all, one very very senior player stood up and said all is good where do we sell the first raffle tickets.
Tangles Lillico one of the greats of QLD footy, highest paid at around $150 a game, is not worth a cheque book.
Do your research

Yeah, well said Dog - once again it is unfortunate that people cannot genuinely believe that footballers would want to play for a footy club bc they enjoy it there..
Shows how far (backwards) we have become as a code when this is the case. All you need to do is spend a summer in Vic watching the mercenaries line up touting their so called wares to gullible and egotistical administrations / coaches to see what a mess it has become and then we get the fallout with half average players waltzing up this way looking to command more $$ than a local bloke who is 2x as good.

Wow. Another round of upsets. Surfers have pumped Morningside! Any report on this game?

Labrador have lost their 4th game of the year. Must have been a thriller finish.

Sandgate did extremely well against palmy who were poor for the first 2 and half quarters.

The league is exciting and certainly finals spots are up for grabs at the present

Wow. Another round of upsets. Surfers have pumped Morningside! Any report on this game?

Labrador have lost their 4th game of the year. Must have been a thriller finish.

Sandgate did extremely well against palmy who were poor for the first 2 and half quarters.

The league is exciting and certainly finals spots are up for grabs at the present

Yes,, unreal results .. The Gorillas were to good for Broady today with a 9 goal to 1 opening quarter ,,, game over ,,, Must say , the Gorillas player be it Brittan.... is one quality player ,,

Yes,, unreal results .. The Gorillas were to good for Broady today with a 9 goal to 1 opening quarter ,,, game over ,,, Must say , the Gorillas player be it Brittan.... is one quality player ,,

And has been for a long time. For his and his teams sake hopefully he stays injury free all year

Yeah, well said Dog - once again it is unfortunate that people cannot genuinely believe that footballers would want to play for a footy club bc they enjoy it there..
Shows how far (backwards) we have become as a code when this is the case. All you need to do is spend a summer in Vic watching the mercenaries line up touting their so called wares to gullible and egotistical administrations / coaches to see what a mess it has become and then we get the fallout with half average players waltzing up this way looking to command more $$ than a local bloke who is 2x as good.
I'm not sure that's as prevalent now as it was even 2 years ago, a lot of vic clubs simply don't have that sort of money anymore... And if Victorians are coming up your way and asking for money, tell them what their starting to be told down here-- there isn't any to give.

From what I hear TT it is still prevalent - guys playing in the Bendigo league on $1200 + Maybe not everywhere but nor should it be. You are down there this year so no doubt know alot more but hope you are right and it is drying up.
Is the worst part of our code, the fact that blokes feel they are nearly entitled to get really good coin out of training 2x/wk and rolling in Saturday. I know blokes that are top of their sport in surf lifesaving for example, train 10x/wk and get diddly squat for their efforts. Hard to develop a code when it is being pillaged internally...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

listen to all these hangers on talking about their cult.

No doubt the GC Clubs spend big, but Morningside have been pillaging local clubs and getting blokes from the Western District in Victoria since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem. Some of the promises they make to 14 year old kids to lure them from Coorparoo and wynnum etc are disgraceful. I'm sure every QAFL club is guilty of similar, but not as extensively.

took forward to Tom Cruise and his mates, jumping in :)

listen to all these hangers on talking about their cult.

No doubt the GC Clubs spend big, but Morningside have been pillaging local clubs and getting blokes from the Western District in Victoria since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem. Some of the promises they make to 14 year old kids to lure them from Coorparoo and wynnum etc are disgraceful. I'm sure every QAFL club is guilty of similar, but not as extensively.

took forward to Tom Cruise and his mates, jumping in :)

Not just Coorparoo and Wynnum, we lost our 14 year old U14 captain and best and fairest rep player from last year to Morningside this year, who knows what he was told to get him over there. And he's not the first and probably won't be the last.

How exactly did Gareth Crawford and Brent Staker end up at the Magpies?

Ryan Davey at Labrador?

Half the PBC team from the Nepean League that arrived this year?

Why is everyone having a crack at the Siders for doing the same?

From what I hear TT it is still prevalent - guys playing in the Bendigo league on $1200 + Maybe not everywhere but nor should it be. You are down there this year so no doubt know alot more but hope you are right and it is drying up.
Is the worst part of our code, the fact that blokes feel they are nearly entitled to get really good coin out of training 2x/wk and rolling in Saturday. I know blokes that are top of their sport in surf lifesaving for example, train 10x/wk and get diddly squat for their efforts. Hard to develop a code when it is being pillaged internally...
I agree with your point about entitlement, seems a lot of players think that way rather than having to earn anything. On the flip side, nobody is forcing clubs to pay them either. There again, it's difficult to be a successful side on the park if you're a non-paying side competing against a paying side. A salary cap may be the solution but would be difficult to police. Don't envy the poor bastard who eventually will have to come up with the solution. Maybe give that job to qafl fan -- he seems to have all the answers.

Points system is the only way.

AFL listed at any point in your career. You get a base points ranking that can't be altered.

VFL, SANFL, WAFL listed base level, with alternations based on games played

Work your way down from there.

Then a team can only field a certain amount of points per game, and its controlled in sportingpulse (as is the points allocated to a player)

If you played juniors for the club, you get your points waived. If you are an AFL listed player returning to your home town (as determined by league officials) you get your points halved.

There is far more to it, but it works and will be implemented properly eventually.

Points system is the only way.

AFL listed at any point in your career. You get a base points ranking that can't be altered.

VFL, SANFL, WAFL listed base level, with alternations based on games played

Work your way down from there.

Then a team can only field a certain amount of points per game, and its controlled in sportingpulse (as is the points allocated to a player)

If you played juniors for the club, you get your points waived. If you are an AFL listed player returning to your home town (as determined by league officials) you get your points halved.

There is far more to it, but it works and will be implemented properly eventually.
Considering it's only just come in down here, it's a bit presumptuous to suggest it works yet. It still doesn't address the issue of richer clubs paying more than the poorer clubs or clubs preying on juniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back