QAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirming Magpies have got Crawford heading up. No recruiting done, he's mates with a couple of Woodsmen players who played with him in Victoria.

We lost one of them to the Magpies and he arranged for Gareth to get in touch with me and I put him in touch with maggies footy director. Done deal

Wayde mills isn't from Brisbane.. He actually lives at Lennox Heads and is now head coach at the mighty cooly Blues.. They took a risk with Tyson Lane they new that, and its bit them.. He did lure plenty of players, and they have all stayed regardless

Wayde mills isn't from Brisbane.. He actually lives at Lennox Heads and is now head coach at the mighty cooly Blues.. They took a risk with Tyson Lane they new that, and its bit them.. He did lure plenty of players, and they have all stayed regardless
Ok. He obviously was doing uni or lived up there at some point in the last couple of years (last time I spoke to him) Doing it tough living there That's a good pickup for Cooly.

Does anyone know why the pre-season cup round which was going to be played at Chelmer is now scheduled for O'Callaghan Park? I'm guessing that there's a reason the Magpies couldn't host on that date?

New mobile tower is currently being installed behind the hone coaches box.

Telstra used to have their tower there, but now Vodafone and Optus are going up as well.

As a result, a new tower was needed to host all 3. Has resulted in areas of the ground being out of action.

Will be right for H&A season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see that the Colts Draw is finally out !! Interesting that Surfers yet again do not have a Colts team. According to the rules of the QAFL State League (a written document that no-one seems to take any notice of) all 10 sides must have Seniors, Reserves and Colts. QAFL bent the rules last year to allow Western Magpies and Surfers stay in comp, but to allow Surfers again not to have a team is unusual.
Having 10 teams in a competition at Seniors, Reserves and Colts level allows for 3 games of football each match day. Potentially bigger crowds, more family at home games and increased revenue as well as sharing support staff and reducing costs of running 3 teams. It seems a really short sighted view to allow the hybrid 18s comp, and in fact it financially disadvantaged those clubs who enter the QAFL State League as the rules permit.
Also the NEAFL licences were granted with the fact that there would be no reserves or Colts playing at the State League level but with Southport and Aspley included that too has gone by the way. You can throw in the AFL Reserves playing players who are not eligible (Harding for Lions and Lappin for Suns in 2015) and once again it looks like Qld football is once again making up the rules as they go along and don't bother taking any notice of what is written.

I see that the Colts Draw is finally out !! Interesting that Surfers yet again do not have a Colts team. According to the rules of the QAFL State League (a written document that no-one seems to take any notice of) all 10 sides must have Seniors, Reserves and Colts. QAFL bent the rules last year to allow Western Magpies and Surfers stay in comp, but to allow Surfers again not to have a team is unusual.
Having 10 teams in a competition at Seniors, Reserves and Colts level allows for 3 games of football each match day. Potentially bigger crowds, more family at home games and increased revenue as well as sharing support staff and reducing costs of running 3 teams. It seems a really short sighted view to allow the hybrid 18s comp, and in fact it financially disadvantaged those clubs who enter the QAFL State League as the rules permit.
Also the NEAFL licences were granted with the fact that there would be no reserves or Colts playing at the State League level but with Southport and Aspley included that too has gone by the way. You can throw in the AFL Reserves playing players who are not eligible (Harding for Lions and Lappin for Suns in 2015) and once again it looks like Qld football is once again making up the rules as they go along and don't bother taking any notice of what is written.

Will be interesting to see how the Colts teams affiliated with the NEAFL look in a few years time. If I were a decent young player I'd make sure I was with Aspley or Southport by the time I'm 17 to get maximum exposure. I'm guessing there will be a talent-drain to the two clubs leaving the rest of the region depleted from their top young talent.

How will the other QAFL clubs be positioned if the NEAFL were to be disbanded in the near future? They would have lost the majority of their potential young talent to Aspley/Southport and won't be able to compete.

Bit of a monopoly being built by those two clubs...

Will be interesting to see how the Colts teams affiliated with the NEAFL look in a few years time. If I were a decent young player I'd make sure I was with Aspley or Southport by the time I'm 17 to get maximum exposure. I'm guessing there will be a talent-drain to the two clubs leaving the rest of the region depleted from their top young talent.

How will the other QAFL clubs be positioned if the NEAFL were to be disbanded in the near future? They would have lost the majority of their potential young talent to Aspley/Southport and won't be able to compete.

Bit of a monopoly being built by those two clubs...

I think once the academies tell boys that there is no correlation bn playing at Aspley colts and NEAFL then it wont be an issue. if this was the case kids would have flocked to Redlands - who have been terrible at colts level. Its a misnomer that the colts at Aspley have a leg up on those from other clubs making the Hornets list.

NEAFL teams have had Colts teams since their inception... ?? Not sure what you are talking about

Sure, but the NEAFL license states they can't have Colts. Just because they do, doesn't mean thats what the license says!

Aspley aren't supposed to have a community footy team either, under the licensing conditions - but they threw that rule out the window too.

Money talks

Sure, but the NEAFL license states they can't have Colts. Just because they do, doesn't mean thats what the license says!

Aspley aren't supposed to have a community footy team either, under the licensing conditions - but they threw that rule out the window too.

Money talks
do you even know why or how aspley fought to keep that team.

Makes sense for Aspley to keep that team bc in reality the NEAFL team is a Nth Brisbane team - may as well call Nth bris Hornets imo.

If anyone happens to speak to guys who run the Lions Academy (I do reguarly) you will find that they really couldnt give a stuff where their kids play until U18's when it actually counts for something - by then you need to be playing at Aspley NEAFL team or other NEAFL teams if you want to be drafted. No other way of doing it really. But to say a kid playing in Aspley Colts has a leg up over Colts kids or any other bloke who wants to get on the list at the Hornets is just naive and not really knowing how the system works - sorry Thunderdoc.

First official ball kicked in anger! How did everyone feel they went? Obviously at this time of year we'll all got our own agenda so wins aren't everything! Results? Thoughts?

I went and watched cats v demons and the first 1/4 and a bit of pbc lab. What struck me was the bigger bodies of pbc and lab in comparison to the earlier game. All teams appeared to be playing extra numbers and resting several senior players so hard to really get a read on it.

I'll have a go at picking a ladder

Lab ( undefeated)
Pbc
Morningside
Magpies
Broadie
-------
Mr Gravatt
Grange
Surfers
Sandgate
Uq