QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched my Broadbeach demolish Morningside today in a very impressive display . Things are beginning to gel with the players as a team and with the strong list we have , we hopefully will be in the finals this year.

Yeah obviously a great win by the cats especially up there. But there were times where morningside were really not applying much pressure at all. From their point of view very disappointing and they would want to get better quick or it won't be the only flogging they will get

Think the bye has come at a very good time for the Panthers. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back. Can't keep a good side down for long, but any loses in the next few weeks would nearly end their season.

Cats v Vultures will be good to watch. Think we will get a real gauge on the Cats now. Always interesting to watch a team back up after a big win.

What's everyone's thoughts on the coverage this year?

Think the bye has come at a very good time for the Panthers. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back. Can't keep a good side down for long, but any loses in the next few weeks would nearly end their season.

Cats v Vultures will be good to watch. Think we will get a real gauge on the Cats now. Always interesting to watch a team back up after a big win.

What's everyone's thoughts on the coverage this year?

Broady could be their own worst enemy. They seem to carry on a fair bit after good wins and really attack themselves after bad losses. Consistency is key.

The coverage had been ok.
Still prefer last years previews and wraps of the round where it individually went through each game.

Morningside players would rather be playing this weekend and rectifying that flogging last weekend.

Gorillas v Lions should be a good game
Tomorrow. Palmy still without a fair chunk of regular senior players but playing a lot of young players which is good to see.

Labrador cruising along nicely, healthy list and key players in form. Almost going under the radar which they would be happy about.

whoever does the writing this year is nowhere near as good as that Andrew Wiles bloke.

Obviously doesn't follow the clubs or players as closely, and the Tuesday talking points and QAFL wraps make no sense with his hungry hippos etc.

Agreed. Hungry hippos, the sky lounge wtf?

Agree,, coverage in previews and post game reviews is non existent ,, extremely poor .. !!!!!
My Broadbeach play the Vultures tomorrow and they have lost Brewer ( injury ) , Baxter and Pantic to Southport and Sansbury due to the Suns comittments .. these 4 players kicked 15 of the 22 goals last week against Morningside ,,,
Is a concern ..

What does everyone make of the results on the weekend? The surfers and magpies game looked like an interesting one.

Did anyone get to the Broadbeach and vultures game?

What does everyone make of the results on the weekend? The surfers and magpies game looked like an interesting one.

Did anyone get to the Broadbeach and vultures game?

The Magpies - Demons game was interesting to say the least. At half time Surfers were 10 goals down and it looked like a 100 point flogging was on the cards. It's as if the sides swapped jumpers at half time. Surfers dominated the second half to get within 5 points late in the last, only for the Pies to kick a goal at the death. Don't know what to read into it. Surfers just didn't turn up to play in the first half or was it a case of the young Magpies just not having the legs to play out the game after a dominant start?

Thoughts on tomorrow's games?

I expect morningside to bounce back pretty hard and beat Sandgate by 10 goals.

I favour the bigger bodies of grange over mt Gravatt in a competitive match, likewise the cats on paper look like they should edge out the maggies. Although the maggies have shown themselves to be a good running side so should be a tight one.

Expect palmy to be too strong for surfers however surfers have been very competitive this year so I expect then to hang in for 2 1/2 quarters and then a comfortable lions victory by 7-8 goals.

Be good to get some other insights as it's a pity this thread has way less posts than previous years

Watched my Broady defeat the Magpies today ,,, Magpies kept in range in the second half but Broady looked like they were always going to win ....
Broady have some 5 or 6 top players out .. like Brewer, Dienjes, Searl, King, Pantic, ( All injured ) and Baxter in the NEAFL with Southport ...
Jarred Ellis played his first game of the season after injury and will surely improve with the run..
So,, things are going ok at the Cattery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched that game before heading up to Sandgate.

Magpies midfield is awesome, they dominate games and field position - but just don't have a power forward, or a cohesive forwardline to take advantage.

the young blond kid going off early really hurt them. Broady clearly an experienced unit, but a bit slow around the ball and one-way running is common. Some very talented players, and if they get their full side together - could be the only challenger to the Tiger train.

Hard to say mate. We have the bones of a good side, but got badly beaten by your cats and with a 1-4 start and a bad % we are coming from a long way back.

In a quirk of the draw, we play Labrador and PBC again for a 2nd time before we play the Magpies for the first time. I suspect we will be fighting it out with Grange and the Magpies for a finals spot - but our season could be done before we even play the boys from Chelmer.

We have a very strong reserves side, and I think a few of those boys should be blooded in the seniors, but time will tell

Yes we are QAFLess up our way... :)

Interesting point. I think most would agree that a 10 team comp would be better and that a presence on the sunny coast would be ideal.

I notice Noosa and Maroochydore are the two top teams in the next division, no doubt the lack of a QAFL team up there means the better footballers up there play div 1 rather than QAFL footy as they would in brissie or gc, thus proving an advantage to those clubs. ( Bond and Burleigh on the other hand bottom of the ladder having to compete for players with pbc, surfers , broadie)

Would one of these clubs be capable of/have the desire to step up to qafl?

Not sure how it could work but I reckon a QAFL club could/should be based out of that Moreton bay complex at burpengary. Geographically close enough to sunny coast to attract players to travel down and close enough to Aspley for their non selected players to travel up for Thursday training. The moray field/Caboolture area have growing population too.

Be interesting what qld footy looks like in 2025, changes every few years and probably will again by then.

I think the issue is that sunny coast footy really thrives on local derbies between Noosa, Caloundra and Maroochydore.

Doesn't matter which one of those 3 teams you put up into the QAFL, you will then create a pseudo rep team for the area and the local derbies lose their lustre.

Put Noosa in the QAFL, the best Caloundra and Maroochy players probably go there. Same goes if you put Maroochy or Caloundra up - the best players move across.

Not sure if there is an actual solution to this issue, but I think thats certainly the sticking point with having a QAFL club on the sunny coast.

I would argue that the QAFL would be better as a 12 team comp - perhaps all 3 teams could go up?!

Maroochy best placed to go in for facilities, location, juniors, finances and current playing list. Certainly come a long way from being nearly made extinct 8 years ago as a senior club (again). Noosa also ticks a few of these boxes but juniors aren't flash and location is too far away.
Local council will really only support if it is a Sunshine Coast name, not maroochy, though.
Think 2010 might be close to mark.
Who really knows. Pretty sure only one team from coast will go in. Not enough afl support compared to Gold Coast and nothing like the population either.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back