Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering Yeronga went from div 1 to the friday night comp you would it think it would be other clubs duties to take them on if they still want to play a high lever. Would hate to see a bloke not play because he costs to much points when there is no other option to leave their original club.
Very good call

Missed last weeks loss - happily from all reports.

Grange to win the cellar game by 26 points
Cats to beat MT G by 37 points
Palmy in a scare 9 points
Surfers still by 4 goals but much tighter than last time.

not sure its accurate that there was no punishment.

don't think the above suggests the system is flawed though...?

Punishment needs to be clear - surely points need to be confirmed before game and player has to be left out even if it means 1 short.
What is stopping a wealthy club just copping the fine to play whoever.

IMO - Fine for first offence 1k - unless a final -then an automatic forfeit.
Second offence - lose 4 points.

Otherwise don't bother - and make it public knowledge. It really is an amateur mistake with no excuses.

Well a couple of interesting results today. Firstly well done Sandgate on a first win, and Labrador that’s a pretty big turnaround after getting flogged by surfers early in the season. Looking good to return to finals. PBC continue on their way, a a great result for vultures today.

Now the losers: surfers all of a sudden appear shaky but banked wins early and will recover and make finals although top 3 all of a sudden less certain. Siders lose nothing PBC beat everyone. Bad for Grange, they really ought to be better.

As for the Cats a bit of a heartbreaker I’m disappointed but we never win at Dittmer and we still are in the mix for top 3 despite the setback.

If I’m honest the vultures probably won possession and territory battle/inside 50 on the day and in particular in the last 1/4. The cats often looked the better side going forward, able to take chances more efficiently which at 3/4 time you felt would be decisive. But that flipped on its head in the last when we lacked composure in a couple of key moments.

Losing a couple limiting rotations was a factor as was the home ground advantage with the umpiring. I rarely comment on umpires and in general they do a good job and no doubt we have had the rub a couple of times this year but wow today it felt like we were well and truly on the wrong end, particularly in the first half, a very lopsided free kick count against.

But credit where credit due the vultures kept coming at 25 points down in the last they could have dropped off but they didn’t and got the chocolates.

Well a couple of interesting results today. Firstly well done Sandgate on a first win, and Labrador that’s a pretty big turnaround after getting flogged by surfers early in the season. Looking good to return to finals. PBC continue on their way, a a great result for vultures today.

Now the losers: surfers all of a sudden appear shaky but banked wins early and will recover and make finals although top 3 all of a sudden less certain. Siders lose nothing PBC beat everyone. Bad for Grange, they really ought to be better.

As for the Cats a bit of a heartbreaker I’m disappointed but we never win at Dittmer and we still are in the mix for top 3 despite the setback.

If I’m honest the vultures probably won possession and territory battle/inside 50 on the day and in particular in the last 1/4. The cats often looked the better side going forward, able to take chances more efficiently which at 3/4 time you felt would be decisive. But that flipped on its head in the last when we lacked composure in a couple of key moments.

Losing a couple limiting rotations was a factor as was the home ground advantage with the umpiring. I rarely comment on umpires and in general they do a good job and no doubt we have had the rub a couple of times this year but wow today it felt like we were well and truly on the wrong end, particularly in the first half, a very lopsided free kick count against.

But credit where credit due the vultures kept coming at 25 points down in the last they could have dropped off but they didn’t and got the chocolates.

Agree 2010 Premier ,,, the umpiring decisions were atrocious , mainly against the Cats ... To the point I was standing with 2 Vultures supporters and even they could not believe these sum of decisions ... anyway ,, at the end of the day the Vultures got home and remain our hoodoo side.

Agree 2010 Premier ,,, the umpiring decisions were atrocious , mainly against the Cats ... To the point I was standing with 2 Vultures supporters and even they could not believe these sum of decisions ... anyway ,, at the end of the day the Vultures got home and remain our hoodoo side.

Broadbeach definitely had the tough end of the stick yesterday. I have not seen much worse than that. Deadset embarrassment to AFLQ is the QAFL umpiring department. So inconsistent and bias to the home crowd.

Don’t get me wrong I witnessed Broadbeach via live stream blow a 4 goal lead and it was a cracker game. Unfortunately the game was ruined by the umpires and their poor decisions.

Let’s hope AFLQ take action and review the game. Players make mistakes after mistakes they get dropped. Let’s home this happens with our mates in green.

It’s the yearly debate about the standard of umpires. You have to feel for them though, tough gig with new interpretations each year.

You just have to take it when they go your way and cop it when they don’t. It’s a shame when crucial calls have bearings on results.

Anyway. The race for top 3 is well and truely on. A couple of weeks ago I thought surfers were locked into the 3. Some big games over the next month

A few believe Vultures were unlucky to lose their first encounter at Broadbeach so this time it’s Broadbeach’s turn to be unlucky.

So Broadbeach fell victim to the double bye as did Surfers Paradise.

One bye can be bad enough or a godsend if players have been carrying niggles but two byes in a row can be a real momentum killer.
No other teams will experience a double bye unless Palm Beach have one in the last round cos they will finish on top which earns them the rest week one of the finals.

Considering Yeronga went from div 1 to the friday night comp you would it think it would be other clubs duties to take them on if they still want to play a high lever. Would hate to see a bloke not play because he costs to much points when there is no other option to leave their original club.

They could go to either of the 2 QAFL clubs that are closer to Yeronga. I'm guessing neither of them would have any issues with points.

This is the whole idea of the points cap, salary caps can't govern everything.

Punishment needs to be clear - surely points need to be confirmed before game and player has to be left out even if it means 1 short.
What is stopping a wealthy club just copping the fine to play whoever.

Exactly. Wealthy club just copped a fine and bank the 4 points. Not much of a deterrant

The fact that its also just swept under the carpet and not transparent is pretty average. Seems several other QAFL clubs weren't even aware it happened?!

It’s the yearly debate about the standard of umpires. You have to feel for them though, tough gig with new interpretations each year.

I've watched maybe 6-7 QAFL games this year all involving various different teams and my view is that the umpiring has been very poor across the board. The intepretation difference between 3 umpires on any given day is the biggest issue. One bloke pays something the other doesn't, and players can't get a feel for the game as a result as depending on who the controlling umpire is, the game is umpired very differently. They also seem massively asfraid to blow out of zone free kicks, and the frquency with which they constantly yell 'play on' makes no sense. why do they need to keep saying that? Just watch and observe and when you see a free kick, blow your whistle. constantly saying play on during play is like a direct admission that you've seen something and decided not to pay a free kick.

Umpiring on the Gold Coast does appear of a slighlty better and consistent standard. One thing is I haven't really seen any team get completely robbed this year like I did last year, but they are just consistently poor umpires in Brisbane.

Rumour has it that Morningside breached the points cap in Round 7 vs broadbeach as well...?

The game currently listed as no result on Sportingpulse...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumour has it that Morningside breached the points cap in Round 7 vs broadbeach as well...?

Wow - how does that happen? I would have thought that there is a matrix that determines the points once the team has been submitted at 130pm or whenever.. Bit like playing an unregistered player - you cant submit that guy.

They could go to either of the 2 QAFL clubs that are closer to Yeronga. I'm guessing neither of them would have any issues with points.

This is the whole idea of the points cap, salary caps can't govern everything.

Exactly. Wealthy club just copped a fine and bank the 4 points. Not much of a deterrant

The fact that its also just swept under the carpet and not transparent is pretty average. Seems several other QAFL clubs weren't even aware it happened?!

I've watched maybe 6-7 QAFL games this year all involving various different teams and my view is that the umpiring has been very poor across the board. The intepretation difference between 3 umpires on any given day is the biggest issue. One bloke pays something the other doesn't, and players can't get a feel for the game as a result as depending on who the controlling umpire is, the game is umpired very differently. They also seem massively asfraid to blow out of zone free kicks, and the frquency with which they constantly yell 'play on' makes no sense. why do they need to keep saying that? Just watch and observe and when you see a free kick, blow your whistle. constantly saying play on during play is like a direct admission that you've seen something and decided not to pay a free kick.

Umpiring on the Gold Coast does appear of a slighlty better and consistent standard. One thing is I haven't really seen any team get completely robbed this year like I did last year, but they are just consistently poor umpires in Brisbane.

I have no issue with umps calling "play on' and yeah it would reflect that a decision has been made. Umpires probably make 200 decisions in a game - about 30-40 of them require a whistle to be blown.
Personally I think 3 umpires is overkill, is unnecessary at this level of footy and only increases the cost to play. Some much better standards of footy in southern states work with 2 umpires still. I agree that a 3rd ump only leads to extra inconsistency.

yes, agree.

Don't think any QAFL club would agree that having 3 field umpires is giving them a better outcome, but its creating more costs.

You have guys that umpire NEAFL regularly doing QAFL games, and in the same game you might have a guy doing his first QAFL game. It makes for very broad adjudicaton and quality in the one single game, which gives bad outcomes.

Agree smy, and then those "extra" umpires who aren't then required, and I assume they are in QAFL ranks as they are the best umpires, filter down through the lower divisions, improving the standard of umpiring down there in the process. And believe me, if anyone thinks the standard of umpiring is not great at QAFL level come have a look at some Div 2 and 3 games!!

If it’s true and morningside have breached the points system twice then a 4 point penalty and another fine is appropriate IMO.

Not saying Broady should get the points just a deduction for morningside.

Thoughts?

I would think they should lose competition points for every game they breached the points cap in.

Not sure they should go to the opposition, but also not sure you can just have 'no result' in games.

Given the Broadbeach game came first, it would be strange if that was considered their '2nd offence' !

Really though, the penalties shouldn't be up to interpretation or debate, should just be 'breach the cap and this is what happens' regardless of the circumstances.

They really needed to outline any penalties at the start of the season if anyone breached the points limit.

I think they should have someone at the game for when the team lists are final and if anyone is over you have to play 21 players or less depending how far over you are

yep, sounds like its been pretty poorly implemented.

surely a submitted teamlist to umpires gets ticked off and its all easy so this doesn't happen?

rather than have a penalty for it, they should have a system in place so that it just can't happen.

I would think they should lose competition points for every game they breached the points cap in.

Not sure they should go to the opposition, but also not sure you can just have 'no result' in games.

Given the Broadbeach game came first, it would be strange if that was considered their '2nd offence' !

Really though, the penalties shouldn't be up to interpretation or debate, should just be 'breach the cap and this is what happens' regardless of the circumstances.
Points should absolutely go to opposing team. It is not a fair playing field - if its true 4 points to broady.

didn't happen in the other confirmed instance though, so why would it be any different this time?

Which one is the first offence? the one that happened first, or the one discovered first?

Agree smy, and then those "extra" umpires who aren't then required, and I assume they are in QAFL ranks as they are the best umpires, filter down through the lower divisions, improving the standard of umpiring down there in the process. And believe me, if anyone thinks the standard of umpiring is not great at QAFL level come have a look at some Div 2 and 3 games!!
On point Bunyip the umpires in third div have been disgusting all year, and the league want us to put in a report every week to give them feed back what’s the point when there is never any improvement or action taken . 3/4 of them don’t even train or are kept accountable But as paid individuals they should be held accountable for their actions we as clubs are held accountable if we do something wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Qafl 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back