QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I note Broadbeach played with 5 permitted players. Presume they're all from Southport.
Lagging Behind,,, correct but lets get the facts straight if u are thinking this is a huge benifit for Broadbeach ..So let me provide you with the facts on these so called Permitted players

1; firstly they have made the final playing list for Southport ,, if they dont make the senior team they play for Broadbeach ...( and other players in the same boat go and play for the designated other 3 gold coast clubs
2; now 3 of these 5 players were Broady juniors .. be it Reeves ( and Labrador ) , Lockett and Howard . Bowman was recruited from Essendon VFL last season and played 5 games for Southport and the rest for us. Hooker was recruited from Tasmania and has played all 3 games with Broadbeach ...
3; So in summary, over the 2022 and up to now 2023 season Reeves and Bowman have played a total of 10 games for Southport.( 5 each )
4; and I missed Boakye ,, played for Broady, and Southport snapped him up last year where he played most of the season for them ,, has played the past 2 games for us and played well so I expect he may well be selected next week to the Southport side.

At the end of the day its not as if we have 5 or 6 players that are regular players for Southport ,, thats not the case at all.
cheers

Lagging Behind,,, correct but lets get the facts straight if u are thinking this is a huge benifit for Broadbeach ..So let me provide you with the facts on these so called Permitted players

1; firstly they have made the final playing list for Southport ,, if they dont make the senior team they play for Broadbeach ...( and other players in the same boat go and play for the designated other 3 gold coast clubs
2; now 3 of these 5 players were Broady juniors .. be it Reeves ( and Labrador ) , Lockett and Howard . Bowman was recruited from Essendon VFL last season and played 5 games for Southport and the rest for us. Hooker was recruited from Tasmania and has played all 3 games with Broadbeach ...
3; So in summary, over the 2022 and up to now 2023 season Reeves and Bowman have played a total of 10 games for Southport.( 5 each )
4; and I missed Boakye ,, played for Broady, and Southport snapped him up last year where he played most of the season for them ,, has played the past 2 games for us and played well so I expect he may well be selected next week to the Southport side.

At the end of the day its not as if we have 5 or 6 players that are regular players for Southport ,, thats not the case at all.
cheers
Yep. I accept that Broady have produced several VFL & AFL players, perhaps as many if not.more than any other QAFL club. I'm not detracting from that. You guys deserve credit for that.

However these players all have had a VFL preseason? Access to VFL coaching and facilities & services during the week? Plus plenty of Brisbane clubs wouldn't mind Bowman or Hooker running around for them.

If only there was a more even distribution like there was with the old NEAFL mini-drafts.

I note Broadbeach played with 5 permitted players. Presume they're all from Southport
It’s probably not what lagging is getting at.

From my perspective. For Broadbeach to have access to all those players is a bit of a 1 up on clubs that don’t have access to players. Imagine Mounties, Sherwood, Noosa having access to a reeves,bowman or anyone that is aligned with Southport. Especially bokye who signed down south where Payne, Simpson Warren etc playing and bailed out on it for unknown reason and was a Southport listed player to come back and just line up for broady is bit how your going
Kwaby been with Broady since he was 17, played in the the 2018 GF. Sure played the last 2 years with Spt whilst still aligned with cars and then returns home.

Sure he looked at FIFO but ultimately decided not for him

As an ignoramus who just sits behind a fence and shouts abuse at everyone, but doesn't understand talent pathways and politics, can I ask whether FIFO stands for first-in, first-out as the old acronym goes, and how that applies to what I guess is some kind of multi-tier release/loan system than you guys seem to talk about sometimes?

As an ignoramus who just sits behind a fence and shouts abuse at everyone, but doesn't understand talent pathways and politics, can I ask whether FIFO stands for first-in, first-out as the old acronym goes, and how that applies to what I guess is some kind of multi-tier release/loan system than you guys seem to talk about sometimes?
Fly in fly out

Yep. I accept that Broady have produced several VFL & AFL players, perhaps as many if not.more than any other QAFL club. I'm not detracting from that. You guys deserve credit for that.

However these players all have had a VFL preseason? Access to VFL coaching and facilities & services during the week? Plus plenty of Brisbane clubs wouldn't mind Bowman or Hooker running around for them.

If only there was a more even distribution like there was with the old NEAFL mini-drafts.
Agree, about Bowman and Hooker ,, but the other 3 Gold coast clubs have similiar distribution.
So the other players on the list are Broady juniors. In additional we have 4e or 5 players that have come up thru our junior s now playing seniors, We are also blooding a number of young players to senior laevel for a game or two just to be exposed to senior level footy.
We have some 18 juniors on the Suns Academy list as well ,,, and this is due to the club concentrating big time on its junior ranks knowing it will benefit the clubs success in the future. .

Without being in qafl for 15 years Zillmere must be right up there still with the most players drafted to the AFL from a QAFL club?

Agree, about Bowman and Hooker ,, but the other 3 Gold coast clubs have similiar distribution.
So the other players on the list are Broady juniors. In additional we have 4e or 5 players that have come up thru our junior s now playing seniors, We are also blooding a number of young players to senior laevel for a game or two just to be exposed to senior level footy.
We have some 18 juniors on the Suns Academy list as well ,,, and this is due to the club concentrating big time on its junior ranks knowing it will benefit the clubs success in the future. .

How many young GC players playing VFL for Suns?

There a clear competitive imbalance and players should be distributed via a mini draft like they used to be.

So they don’t count as zillmere boys because they drove down the highway?
Of course they do - they were drafted from Nth Bris but no different to Aspley claiming Wagner x 2 as their own. Was a good leg up for a club if people are comparing where blokes were drafted from by club. Strong football club back then as you well know.
TBH I think we would find that Caloundra of all clubs has had a good number drafted, especially compared to the level of footy they have played. At least 5 that i know of.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many young GC players playing VFL for Suns?

There a clear competitive imbalance and players should be distributed via a mini draft like they used to be.
Miller , I hear what you are saying but I dont get where you are coming from ... like how do you mini draft them to say a Brisbane based club wheh they live and work on the Gold Coast .. just will not work

The umpiring at the Aspley V Wilston Grange games for both Devs and Seniors was nothing short of appalling. It's getting to the stage
where it actually ruins the game, sure it's hard to attract umpires to our great game but the Senior umpires were totally out of there league.
Aspley deserved the win in Seniors but the margin should have been more like 4 or 5 goals.If the Umpires performed like players they would be
dropped to a lower grade but I suppose this isn't possible.

The umpiring at the Aspley V Wilston Grange games for both Devs and Seniors was nothing short of appalling. It's getting to the stage
where it actually ruins the game, sure it's hard to attract umpires to our great game but the Senior umpires were totally out of there league.
Aspley deserved the win in Seniors but the margin should have been more like 4 or 5 goals.If the Umpires performed like players they would be
Yea it is. Umps can be dropped

The games are recorded, care to provide some examples?

The games are recorded, care to provide some examples?

No umpires = no games. Umpiring at RVP vs Broadbeach very good except for centre bounce. Is it really needed anymore? On the game- first quarter exceptional to watch, skills high , pressure high. Dropped away a little in the second on the skill level but the pressure remained intense. RVP deserved winners and probably should have won by more. Williams unbelievable down back - probably at least 15 intercept marks for the day

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm actually backing up the umpiring with my comment. I saw that seniors game and thought they were pretty good

Very easy to make a comment like above but funny enough the invitation to back it up generally gets silence
I will go out on a limb and say that there was umpiring at both senior and reserve level.

No umpires = no games. Umpiring at RVP vs Broadbeach very good except for centre bounce. Is it really needed anymore? On the game- first quarter exceptional to watch, skills high , pressure high. Dropped away a little in the second on the skill level but the pressure remained intense. RVP deserved winners and probably should have won by more. Williams unbelievable down back - probably at least 15 intercept marks for the day

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Noticed Razor ray was allowed to throw footy up at centre bounce the other night. Has just come back this year from a back injury which possibly the reason but it was always his achilles heel. I agree its a tradition that we can do without now in the same way that football skills have surpassed the drop kick. Umpires don't need to be able to bounce the ball at the top level as a key skill imo

Noticed Razor ray was allowed to throw footy up at centre bounce the other night. Has just come back this year from a back injury which possibly the reason but it was always his achilles heel. I agree its a tradition that we can do without now in the same way that football skills have surpassed the drop kick. Umpires don't need to be able to bounce the ball at the top level as a key skill imo
The old chestnut. I'm not fussed either way but watch the old footy replies on TV and the umpires bounced the ball all around the ground, with few issues at all. Has the shape of the ball changed?

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back