QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were Aspley you would rather drop a game before finals. Happens so often that the undefeated team falls short in the big one.

They do look a class above though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its not really the same though, but yes there are some advantages for GC clubs with southport - but the Aspley situation is far more advantageous

Even though Aspley coming back how they did arguably cost my club a flag last year, to be honest I don’t see how you can have a situation where players are forced from a club they were playing for. Not sure if there was an alternative to how continuing Aspley/Redland players had their points graded. No complaint from me.

The way I see it Redland and Aspley through no fault of their own have a situation where talent came to them to play NEAFL/VFL and they’ve obviously done a good job to create the environment where they stay.

Over time this advantage diminishes as the likes of Franks etc stay at Sherwood rather than skip off to Redland for NEAFL. I’ve got no doubt that it’ll turn and another club will pop up as a serious contender in the next year or 2.

point is that they should have been forced to choose who they want to keep, as it should have been hard to keep them in under the points cap. However, having all the concessions made it very easy to essentially retain a VFL/NEAFL list that is not actually possible for opposition clubs to match within the same set of rules, creating a complete structural inequity.

point is that they should have been forced to choose who they want to keep, as it should have been hard to keep them in under the points cap. However, having all the concessions made it very easy to essentially retain a VFL/NEAFL list that is not actually possible for opposition clubs to match within the same set of rules, creating a complete structural inequity.
So true miller

So from their 2021 VFL list they retained 13 players from the list of 40 for 2022 from what I can see. They had a few recruits like Allen returning but quite a number in their grand final side who came from a lower comp.
How many should they have been able to keep? And footy clubs are about building relationships so how do they tell blokes they aren't wanted if they wanted to stay.
Furthermore, there were plenty on here last year that didn't have them in their top 3 or 4. Although some were smart enough to tip them as number 1.
It's disappointing for some clubs that their juniors don't return but that's footy.
With the rumour that Payne is returning, they have had 3 blokes come back this year from elsewhere. They must be doing something right.
They play some very good footy to watch so hopefully the rest of the competition continue to improve and take it up to them, rather than them having to come back to the field.
I'd much rather watch good footy and although disappointing for Broadbeach last year, the GF was good footy to watch.

I suppose the argument isn’t about ability to retain players. Or should they have to select who they let go but simply grade the list with their points as all clubs had their players graded when the system came in. Possibly discount some of the fact that all came bk from neafl so a bit unfair to grade them all as neafl players as tgey might be if another club.
And then if a 4 pt player is happy to play 2s bc he can’t be fitted into the A grade side then good on them. No one is bagging Aspleys ability to retain players it’s more tge fact that many Players were so under rated in the points system it provided a really strong advantage to them.

Tbh same as Broadbeach receive for vfl players who come bk too. It’s the system that needs reviewing not Aspley. They r obv doing something right within their club to have players come bk (Freeman Templeton) and to not lose players to competing clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back